_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Newbie questions on 1/32 WWII fighter kits
Wierdy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hello everyone
I am a relatively new to the aircraft aspect of the hobby, but I've chosen 1/32-th scale because of sheer size and plenty of room in the cave. My plan is to pay tribute to the most outstanding fighter planes of the war (all nations).Here are the concerns I'd like to shed the light on.

1)Tamiya Spitfires. Which one of their 3 kits is the newest (most realistically looking) and which one is for Normandy?

2)Tamiya Mustang. Do I need to replace exhausts and wheels,what are the best alternatives?

3)Tamiya Zero.Same as about Spit, plus which is better for later period of the war?

4)Revell Bf-109G-10.Many parts are to be replaced in this kit. What's the best spinner/propeller combo I can buy for money?

5)Hasegawa Fw190A-8. The only kit I have to date. I know it has no rivets (not all of them at least). Can I find a blueprint or a drawing with those rivets shown correctly or should I not bother myself with the issue on my first-to-be-built aircraft?

I do realize my questions are somewhat boring and 'unprofessional', but still hope for your support!

Thanks in advance, Paul
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
I can't answer all of your questions but I'll have a go with those that I think that I can
1) The Tamiya Spitfire: The newest one is the Mk XVI but for D-Day you want the first release 60319. They are all realistic looking, very realistic.
2) The Tamiya P-51 Mustang: No, you don't really need to replace the wheels and exhausts, but if you want to go that route try Barracuda Cast, Roy Southerland does excellent resin stuff.
3) The Tamiya Zero: I only have their first offering so I can't, at the moment give you the reference number of later versions, but I think that they were probably released in build model order? The Zero didn't take part in the D-Day landing?
4) The Revell Bf109G-10: Don't know?
5) The Hasegawa Fw190A-8: I can't help with plans for riveting it, but I personally wouldn't put myself through the pain of doing it! And, for a first aircraft build, I would suggest that you don't either as you want to enjoy the experience. Concentrate on getting the wings at the correct dihedral and the wheels at the correct angle; also spend time on the paint scheme. Done well it will look good anyway
Wierdy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hello and thanks for your suggestions Mal!

The reason I ask about Mustang exhausts is because I'm not sure if the kit provided ones are hollow and the wheels, well I know from my AFV builds that resin ones have better defined detail and no centerline mould seam.

As for the Zero,I would prefer A6M version, although I think any of them is better than the ones from Hasegawa(?) and I didn't mean they took part in Normandy campaign, just the first part of Spit suggestion.

Bf-109 spinner...well the one from Eagle Parts is stated to be the most accurate,but they do not provide fan blades.

Hasegawa FW-190 is a 'see-want-buy' purchase (it's all about the box art, initially I planned to build planes in 1/48-th scale). I guess I would not be able to make rivets so that they look clean enough,thus, proper painting preceded by paying attention to the steps you've mentioned is more than adequate for the first build.

Thanks again for your help and have a good luck with your projects,Paul
shuber57
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
In 1/32 Tamiya has released the A6m2 and the A6m5. So late war you want the A6m5. The A6M2 depicts all Pearl Harbor attackers to my understanding. The A6m5 depicts planes in service in 1944 and 1945.

For the Tamiya mustang, the kit exhausts are fine but resin wheels are a nice upgrade for the kit.

The 1/32 Spitfire ix is the most correct for D-Day, the other variants Tamiya kitted mainly served in other Theaters or latter in the war.

I don't know enough to offer anything on our other suggestions.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and I didn't mean they took part in Normandy campaign, just the first part of Spit suggestion.

Yes Paul, I know, there should have been a winking face at the end of that sentence Sorry

I have the Hasagawa 190A-5, with the red and yellow tulip nose, which I will be starting next. When I say next that means after the beginning of November as I have several other models on the go that need to be finished first

Yes Kit number 60319 is the Spitfire MkIXc. Be careful with the markings in the kit; this is often depicted with D-Day stripes, but this is not the aircraft flown by Wing Commander J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson on D-Day, he had MK392 at this time and for most of the rest of the war. The codes were very much different from those depicted in the kit, those for for EN398 are correct. Apart from anything else the wing configuration is different on both aircraft.

I like to concentrate on the painting and I find the construction a bit of a chore So there is no way that I would even contemplate riveting any model! I do add aftermarket items if I believe that they really do enhance the model, but I wouldn't buy resin wheels just because there is no mould line, because a mould line isn't difficult to remove cleanly
Wierdy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hello guys !
Thanks for the info Scott, much appreciated !

Thanks for being so specific on the Spit Mal, I had no idea about that !

Quoted Text

I like to concentrate on the painting and I find the construction a bit of a chore

Totally agree on that !!!Thanks for feedback !!!
 _GOTOTOP