_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News Trumpeter: Westland Whirlwind
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC

Trumpeter have released pictures of the sprues and marking options of their newly released 1/48th Westland Whirlwind.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC
I have always thought it to be the most interesting design the RAF fielded, even before I knew its history. It's one of the few RAF subjects I would build. I hope Trumpeter has trumped their new-release curse with it.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope Trumpeter has trumped their new-release curse with it.

Hi Fred

I hate to say it but, looking at these photos, there are a number of potential problems evident straight away. I'll still probably buy the kit - but I can foresee some tricky correction work needed around the tail, wing-root and cockpit (and there's probably more - this is based on a quick glance).

All the best

Rowan
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:44 PM UTC
Rowan for those like me who will buy the kit and not be too concerned with the flaws, will it still look like a Whirlwind out of box?
Removed by original poster on 04/11/14 - 14:49:48 (GMT).
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi Matt

My prediction is that it'll build like a dream and - yeah, it'll certainly look like a Whirlwind (Heck, I could carve something in an hour out of balsa and ask "What's that supposed to be?" and most people would plump for a Whirlwind). I wouldn't want to sit it next to any reference photos though.

Don't get me wrong - it'll offer exactly the kind of challenge I love. We're so spoiled these days, some of us rate anything less than perfection as "fatally flawed". This just looks set to offer the chance to get stuck in and to correct the bits Trumpy missed.

All the best

Rowan
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan.

It looks like I'll buy it then decide if it is worth getting all pedantic about it's problems.

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC

Unless you work in armor or smaller scales, eventually you'll feel your eyes glide over bright blue boxes with second-rate box art like nothing was there... This condition is accompanied by involuntary pupil contraction.

Gaston

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Gaston

True, it's not the greatest picture ever of a Whirlwind, but just as you should never judge a book by its cover - you certainly shouldn't damn a kit on account of its boxtop painting! (To do that would be to trash some of the most fantastic "garage" kits produced by superb modellers who maybe aren't so skilled at artwork...)

But getting back to Matt - that's the whole point; I can see things already that I don't think I'll be able to leave be. I actually used to work for Westland (in a later incarnation), so I almost feel duty-bound to do my best on the Whirlwind - but, while it's important to point out both highs and lows in kits, what modellers finally make of them is wonderfully subjective. That's the joy of modelling, and why most of us are here.

All the best

Rowan
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:47 PM UTC
I feel the force to buy it, only to build the bird flown by a Swede in RAF.....another one to the list, d*mn you Trumpeter! lol
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
Gaston

Looks like a Whirlwind to me.

It may not be a masterpiece but it says Whirlwind on the box and artwork isn't a deal breaker for me.

Rowan has pointed out the issues and that is enough for most of us.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Rowan has pointed out the issues and that is enough for most of us.

Hi Matt

I wouldn't presume to say I've identified all the issues - I fear the Whirlwind buffs will find plenty more before they're done...

If (almost certainly, when) I get one, I'll do my best with it, like I've done my best to sort out the less than stellar Vampire (note to self: MUST finish that! ) - but there is a point (for me, at least) at which the pain outweighs the gain, and that's when I remind myself this a hobby I do for fun.

At times like that the words of my late father always ring in my head: "It's only six pennyworth of plastic and it's not worth worrying about."

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP