_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale P-51 D kits
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 05:58 PM UTC
Having finished my 20th 1/35th scale Sherman I am now on a mini 1/48th scale Mustang kick. I've finished 2 Tamiya P51 Ds and I'm working on a Hasegawa. I'm looking for at least 2 more Mustang Ds ( I got a good deal on a couple of decal sheets). I remember hearing somewhere that the ICM kits are essentially copies of the Taniya kit. Is this true? I like the Tamiya kits but they seem to be at a premium now based on the decals they provide which I am not going to use.

Thanks for any info,

John
Harvs73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 06:22 PM UTC
The ICM kits are copies of the Tamiya kits but they are poor copies of them. The props and various items are badly cast and needing replacement whilst the decals are usually rubbish.
jowady
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ICM kits are copies of the Tamiya kits but they are poor copies of them. The props and various items are badly cast and needing replacement whilst the decals are usually rubbish.

Thanks, I could live with the decals since I'm replacing them but as for the rest I guess I'll have to break down and buy the Tamiya kits.
Harvs73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 10:29 PM UTC
Don't get me wrong, they have their uses. The model below suited the kit perfectly as I was making a RAAF Target Towing acft and the conversion supplied props, wheels, seat and various other bits that replaced the bad kit bits.

jowady
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't get me wrong, they have their uses. The model below suited the kit perfectly as I was making a RAAF Target Towing acft and the conversion supplied props, wheels, seat and various other bits that replaced the bad kit bits.

Very nice!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:18 PM UTC
Don't forget that Ultracast has a whole hockey-sock full of goodies which can make any Mustang kit look excellent, and which can completely replace the less than stellar ICM parts.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:44 PM UTC
Jessie is right, I use Ultracast's canopy bows, seat and exhaust stubs as a matter of course whether it's a Tamyia kit or ICM (the only Mustang kits worth buying in 1/48 scale IMHO)
I've built about 30 Mustangs now and love both kits.

Accurate Miniatures made a great B/C, but we are not worried about that mark here.
Later
jowady
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 06:43 PM UTC

Accurate Miniatures made a great B/C, but we are not worried about that mark here.
Later [/quote]

I do have the AM P-51 C, I bought it off evil bay and the seller swapped out the decal sheet for a sheet for a "D" from Iwo Jima. It does look as though it could use a new propeller though.
 _GOTOTOP