_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Captured D0 335
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:34 PM UTC
I did this one for the Waste Not Want Not campaign over at Armorama. The model is the quite ancient Monogram 1/48 kit, done right out of the box, with the exception of the decals

DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 04:53 PM UTC
Nice Dornier!

I've got a couple of these oldies in the stash and I've always liked the look of the two seater version, might have to dust one off!

cheers
Brent
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC
Nice job on that older kit, this is proof that these really old kits are worth building.

Matrixone
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
Good work Jessica, on an interesting subject too! Would like to build one in 72 scale, I guess the newest offering is from Hobbyboss? Don't know how good a kit it is but I may get it someday and try it. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job on that older kit, this is proof that these really old kits are worth building.

So who needs Tamiya? The neat thing is because it's an older kit I felt free to get experimental without the fear of ruining an expensive wunderkit. Brand new TamaFujiGawa kits are wonderful, but every time I build one there's that tiny little voice inside which says "what are you going to do if you ruin this one?"
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 12:02 PM UTC
Russell,
The HobbyBoss Do 335 kit looks pretty good except for one thing: both propellers are molded backwards, since the front and rear propellers are slightly different from one another you can't just swap them in an attempt to correct the problem. AFAIK there are no aftermarket replacement propellers available.
The much older 1/48 scale Monogram kit might not be the best in accurate shape anymore but they at least got the propellers turning the right way...in this day and age with all the reference photographs available why can't HobbyBoss at least get the propellers correct on their Do 335?

Matrixone
JScicluna
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hi Jessica. I followed this in the campaign build. Good job. I'm interested in more info in relation to spraying the decals... Did you use acrylics or enamel paint and how did you go about attaching the decals? The usual way with set/sol or did you have to modify this due to the paint?

I like the defect and I am considering doing something similar with a spitfire in the future

Thanks
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 02:46 PM UTC
I used Testors Model Master Olive Drab enamel on the decals and simply sprayed a thin layer right onto the decal sheet. Once the paint was dry I applied them the way any other decal is applied. The paint which covered the decal film transferred with the decal; I made sure to flake the rest off with my tweezers before I moved them off the paper.
 _GOTOTOP