_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
BF-109 E-4 help
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 04:07 PM UTC
I am looking to build a few 109's and have this question....

Should I go 1/48 and get Eduard 8263. Or....

1/32 and go with the Trumpeter BF109 ....

Dont know what to do here....

Opinions...

I really like what eduard includes for the price,

J
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 04:35 PM UTC
I guess it really boils down to how much space you have on your shelves. Either one is a good kit and both will give you a lot of building pleasure.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 04:40 PM UTC
Space is no issue. Just afraid of the trumpy kit some, as they say alot is wrong.. But i dont see the problem with the rudder.....

I can get the trumpy kits for under 30 bucks US...

Guess since i wont enter them in a contest.. The Trumpy would be good. Will look good to me. Sometimes i think i read to much into reviews....
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 08:56 PM UTC
Eduard sure offers an excellent RoI.
Everything you need to build an acurate and pleasing model is inside the box.

On the other hand Trump 1/32 should be impressive on it's own, even more for the price tag you mention. Personally i don't consider reviews all that much even more so if the only fault the reviewer founds are a few millimeters short of accuracy lenght or so.

What counts is if it looks good to you, have fun
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 01:30 AM UTC
Jeremy, given the option & I had the space, I'd be strictly building in 1/32. The advantages are easier to detail with larger parts, AM cockpits are amazing, just more impressive a display model when completed. But I don't, so I model in 1/48 scale.

Joel
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Jeremy, if you're talking about 1/32 scale why not to consider Cyber Hobby's E-4 or E-7/trop? E-7 just need not to use additional fuel tank under the belly and normal carbouretor intake instead of tropical one to become a standard E-4.

Review of E-7

Review of E-4

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
I thank everyone for their help, this is the kit I decided to go with...

I know it isn't the E-4, but I plan to build the Galland aircraft which is what I was looking for to begin with. I know I will be getting the Cyber Hobby BF-109E-4 for his markings in that one as well, if this one goes well.

Look forward to starting it as soon as it arrives from Sprue Brothers... Maybe a blog, not sure....

Herky
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thank everyone for their help, this is the kit I decided to go with...

I know it isn't the E-4, but I plan to build the Galland aircraft which is what I was looking for to begin with. I know I will be getting the Cyber Hobby BF-109E-4 for his markings in that one as well, if this one goes well.

Look forward to starting it as soon as it arrives from Sprue Brothers... Maybe a blog, not sure....

Herky

I think it's still a good choice. See Rowan's review and buildblog somewhere in the WW2 forum if you need useful hints and things to take a closer look to.

Here's one of them:
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
I found that build blog, however, he seemed to have stopped in 2011 posting. . I will keep looking for some good ones though... For some reason I have really been looking forward to building this one. I usually build modern armor and helo's... Don't quite know what got me on the BF109.
gconterio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 07:40 AM UTC
I would agree with Jessica, it would seem your available space would be a principle consideration. This is the reason I never build anything in 1/32. I miss-out on a lot of great models, but console myself in having a consistently sized collection of kits I really want to build. My rule, WWII subjects in 1/48, cold war and later in 1/72nd, all principally due to space considerations.

That said, the Eduard 109s are really great kits. I have not had my hands on the big-scale Trumpeter kits, but Trump. does have periodic accuracy issues which even non-rivet counters like me can't countenance. Don't know if their 109s suffer in this regard.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found that build blog, however, he seemed to have stopped in 2011 posting. .

Hi Jeremy

Yep, sorry - life intervened...

Basically, the Cyber-Hobby Bf 109E is a really nice kit - you've got the likes of Jerry Crandall as advisers on it before I ever stuck an oar in, so it has top credentials. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

All the best

Rowan
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
I don't think i will be either. I know what you mean about life making modelling take a back seat. Thats the best thing about a hobby, it will always wait for you.
Thank you all for the help thus far. There will be more during the build I can guarantee that!

J
 _GOTOTOP