_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
NEWS
1:48 F2H Banshee
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC
Kitty Hawk return to early jets with the announcement of a new-tool quarterscale McDonnell F2H Banshee.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
And it's a -3! All of a sudden I see maple leaves in the future
ianclasper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
I'm hoping for a -2 and -2P for my Korean War collection, the -3 is just too modern
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 01:06 PM UTC
We can certainly hope that they won't ignore such an important variant.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
I've always had an interest in 1st generation jets, but still managed to just build aircraft with a prop at the front. But with continued releases like this F2H I'm certainly weakening.

Joel
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC
Great news! I do hope these companies keep this up! We have been waiting a very long time for some items, ie 1/48 F11F!!!
KAGNEW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 06:03 AM UTC
hi all
we have more 50's planes coming.
i love the F11 Tiger & Super Tiger. but the F11-F never fired a shot in anger. so for some reason won't sell. when the Blue Angels flew them, there was some interest. now not so much.
thanx Glen
www.KittyHawkmodel.com
JPK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Glen,
I think you are mistaken if you believe a F11F-1 Tiger will not sell. Look at what the FM kit sells for on ebay. Usually $100.00 or better. It's been OOP for several years now and as soon as one comes up for sale on HS or ARC it sells very quickly. I know, I'm always looking to add to my stash of them. I want to build a Blue Angel diamond formation in addition to squadron examples.

The "no shots fired in anger" excuse does not hold up if you're kitting the -3/4 Banshee. I've not heard of it ever being involved in a hot war unlike the -1/2. Also, Tamiya saw fit to model the F4D-1 Skyray, no shots fired. Hobby Boss, the F3H-2 Demon, no shots fired. Your own F9F-8 Cougar, to my knowledge no hot war use. So that's pretty much a non excuse.

There are plenty of kits done by manufacturers that never fired a shot in war and have sold just fine. I hope you find your way to kitting the Tiger. I am looking forward to your Cougar and Banshee.

Usually those that want to build a 1950's era USN aircraft aren't so interested in how many bullets it fired and where, but rather the various colorful squadron color schemes or a build to flesh out a squadron history collection. Or even just because they like the lines of the airplane. Case in point, I'm looking forward to your trainer version of the Cougar to add to my collection of 1/48 USN trainer aircraft. A T2V-1 Seastar would be nice! How's that for an obtuse interest?

Another overlooked but significant USN 50's fighter is the FJ-3 Fury. Another "No shots in anger" but plenty of colorful schemes and many of todays squadron's lineage can be traced back to flying them.

So don't be so quick to write off an aircraft because it "never fired a shot in anger". That's not really an excuse.

Thanks for the Cougar and Banshee. Really looking forward to them.

Jon K.
 _GOTOTOP