Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Siemens Schuckert D.III
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 07:15 PM UTC
Cheers Stephen

That looks a sure-fire winner for Eduard!

Really nice progress on your own build too.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC
Gun synch & trigger cables, compass tachometer& etc. I used Eduard's PE gauge faces in this build. I may add some HGW bezels as well.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Gun synch & trigger cables, starting mag, altimeter& etc.I used Eduard's PE gauge faces in this build. I may add some HGW bezels as well.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
Some shadows have been lightened to show details.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
Nice going Stephen!

Going by your previous posts, the clock's seriously ticking on the release of the new Eduard kit, so get this beauty finished! You've invested too much work to see it pushed aside by the new release.

At least, by stepping back from Staff, you've regained the long-forgotten luxury of not being pressed to keep up with what's new. (Honestly, I'm not jealous at all! )

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
Progressing really well Stephen !

Terri
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Upper forward deck needs a minimum of a .020 lift on each side to line up on the fuselage.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC
Starting HGW dark wood grain decals for the panels / skin of the fuselage. This is the transparent sets. applied over a Testors radome tan color. If you want darker coverage adjust your base color accordingly.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Full marks to you for ploughing on with this when the new-tool Eduard kit is already hitting the shelves (ahead of a sample landing). I can't pretend I'm convinced by the textured lozenge decals - that's an old point of difference between us it just looks OTT to me in this scale - but individuality is all part of what makes modelling such a wonderful hobby.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC
My new mold eduard SSW D.III kits arrived yesterday. I may spend some coinage to get two or three Brassin 1/48 SH IIIa rotaries meant for use with these. The subject of kit lozenge camouflage for these kits is going to be a sore spot for some modelers.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

You lucky s*d! I can't believe you didn't post a "Whoo Hoo!" after your earlier teasers on the new kit!

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
So many things happening right now and then the kits show up. While Eduard has done multiple kits with lozenge, it a bit frustrating to deal with this latest issue. I just wish they could get the lozenge thing right. In 1/48 I still recommend HGW or Old Propeller / Wood & Wire 5 color lozenge sets.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 05:13 AM UTC
Nice job on the wood grain decals so far Stephen . One of these day's I will have to give them a try .

Yes , Eduard really failed on the 5 colour lozenge . Their previous release from the past are better than these .
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My new mold eduard SSW D.III kits arrived yesterday. I may spend some coinage to get two or three Brassin 1/48 SH IIIa rotaries meant for use with these. The subject of kit lozenge camouflage for these kits is going to be a sore spot for some modelers.

I just purchased mine. The lozenge decal sure is strange. They have changed their decal subcontractor from Aviprint to an Italian decal firm Cartograf. I don't know if that is the reason for the change in the colours of the camo. Anaway I liked the Aviprint made lozenge decal for Eduard's Fokker D.VII kits much better.

I hope the lozenge rip tape decal coming with the new SSW D.III kit can be used with Old Propeller, Aviattic or HGW lozenge. None of those three manufactures 1/48 lozenges on white base yet. Transparent stuff won't do as rib tape. I'm just having this problem with the old Eduard Fokker D.VI which I'm building right now. I used Old Propeller faded 4 colour on it and it looks awesome, but where to get rib tapes?

Mikko
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope the lozenge rip tape decal coming with the new SSW D.III kit can be used with Old Propeller, Aviattic or HGW lozenge. None of those three manufactures 1/48 lozenges on white base yet. Transparent stuff won't do as rib tape. I'm just having this problem with the old Eduard Fokker D.VI which I'm building right now. I used Old Propeller faded 4 colour on it and it looks awesome, but where to get rib tapes?

Mikko

Hi Mikko

Spray the same colour you've used as your base-coat on some plain decal film and apply a patch of the translucent decals onto it. Once it's dry, slice up some rib tapes. Not the ideal answer, but workable.

I'm really intrigued to see the new Eduard kit; they've turned to arguably the premier decal producer in the world (the way the decals have snuggled down over the rib-stitching in Eduard's showcase model is simply amazing!) - but messed up on the colours? The shots I've seen look so bleached-out, they're semi-monochrome. Weird...

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Mikko,

You can do what I am doing, just purchase the HGW or old propeller sets and cut your own. Remember the tape was one type around the whole rib profile.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 01:56 PM UTC
I have the new kit and it looks fantastic but the decals are really washed out, the same way your home printer looks when running out of ink.

I won't get to build this for a while but I will be using my old microsculpt decals when I do.

paul
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 06:58 PM UTC
The Aviattic web side is down, but I just got a new Aviattic Stock List from Richard Andrews and their new products seem to solve many problems. Now they have 5 and 4 colour lozenges also on white decal paper. Both in 1/32 and 1/48, so now there is no problem to cut your own rib tapes.

They have also released joined 5 colour lozenges in 45 degree angle for those who do not want to cut their SSW D.III lozenge decals from separate strips. Also usable with Mirage and Karaya Halbies as well as the old Eduard Hannover ClIIIa kit, if you have that one in your stash.

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the new kit and it looks fantastic but the decals are really washed out, the same way your home printer looks when running out of ink.

I won't get to build this for a while but I will be using my old microsculpt decals when I do.

paul

Good choice.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Aviattic web side is down, but I just got a new Aviattic Stock List from Richard Andrews and their new products seem to solve many problems. Now they have 5 and 4 colour lozenges also on white decal paper. Both in 1/32 and 1/48, so now there is no problem to cut your own rib tapes.

They have also released joined 5 colour lozenges in 45 degree angle for those who do not want to cut their SSW D.III lozenge decals from separate strips. Also usable with Mirage and Karaya Halbies as well as the old Eduard Hannover ClIIIa kit, if you have that one in your stash.

Mikko

Aviattic seems a good choice too. So many companies doing lozenge today. You you think Eduard would get a clue.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
Here is one complete kit. I also picked up 3 sets of "Overtrees" = plastic sprues.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Neat! The new SSW certainly looks set to build beautifully, as the test-fit of the major parts of the sample shows:

Now I've finally had a chance to see the decals for real, though, I can understand what all the fuss is about - it's like everything's mixed with grey for a de-saturated look... Not as washed out as you see for the reverse side of lozenge fabric sometimes, but not far short. Very odd.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
With the parts freed for test fitting you are going to have to build her now Rowan .

Terri
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the parts freed for test fitting you are going to have to build her now Rowan .

Terri

Hi Terri

I do intend to - but I always do test fits where possible for reviews so, going by your logic, I fear it joins a rather long list of kits that I "have to build".

All the best

Rowan