_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang IAF
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hey Guys, I finally finished the mustang I was working on. I would like to thank Ben (McLeod) for donating aftermarket parts.
I used resin gear bay covers, wheels, flaps, seat and eduard interior PE. It was painted with Alclad paints but I'm not that satisfied with the result I got. Decals are by Sky's decals which I had quite a lot of problems with.

Kind regards, Sven.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC
Sven, Your IAF P-51 looks darn good to me. Nicely built, and the NMF looks realistic and weathered but not abused. Decaling look painted on.

What were the issues with the decal that you didn't like? Like I said, they look like they laid down nicely, and weathered nicely. Same for your Alcad NMF, it looks real good in your pictures. Did you try for panel color variation?

Did the IAF paint the wings in Aluminum lacquer, or leave them NM?

Joel

Still a very
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 02:22 AM UTC
I think your Mustang looks wonderful, Sven, and I'm so happy you persevered to completion. The Alclad NMF certainly looks OK in photos. Perhaps your dis-satisfaction is just a bit too hard on yourself.

Well Done!!!
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys.

Joel, I had some problems with decals on flat surfaces, they cracked and some creases appeared, you can see it on the last photo if you carefully look in the blue part of the left wing roundel. I tried panel variation, but after taking the masks off I discovered that the two shades I used are almost the same tone (While aluminium and Airframe aluminium) in the end I painted all the control surfaces in Duraluminum for some variation (looks better irl). I unfortunately can't answer your last question, but I will check my references and get back to you on that subject.

Ben - Thanks again for the aftermarket items, they helped me alot. At one point I really lost focus on this model because I managed to spill some alclad over the wing while airbrushing. I decided to leave it in a cabinet for a week before I ruined something else. I'm glad I finished this one and looking forward to making another one with less mistakes hopefully.

Kind regards, Sven.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
Sven, Didn't even notice the decal issue till you pointed it out. But I'm sure that it is more visible up close and personal. Is the decals or just their age? I've had issues for many a year with very old decals that just dry out and become very brittle.

Still, a really nice build. You made it to the finish line, and that's what's important. Way too many guys just give up and add it to their shelf Queen collection.

Joel
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sven, Didn't even notice the decal issue till you pointed it out. But I'm sure that it is more visible up close and personal. Is the decals or just their age? I've had issues for many a year with very old decals that just dry out and become very brittle.

Still, a really nice build. You made it to the finish line, and that's what's important. Way too many guys just give up and add it to their shelf Queen collection.

Joel

Yes, you are correct, It's much more visible irl, but as I've said I really wanted to finish the model and yet not to rush with the smaller details and parts. It might actually be me, since I'm not that skilled when it comes to decals, I'll have to do another batch of models with different decals to answer that question.

Kind regards.
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 02:26 PM UTC
Beautiful metal paint job you did - I like Israeli subjects and you've impressed me with this Mustang.
phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
Sven you did a great job I think but don't be so harsh on yourself you will learn something every time you build a model Have fun Phil
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC
Looks really nice, I like the "just right" weathering!
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC
Sven, what products did you use to lay the decals?
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!

Quoted Text

Sven, what products did you use to lay the decals?

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see this before. I used micro set + sol and a hairdryer.

Kind regards, Sven.
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:36 AM UTC
thats really cool,you don't see those markings every day
suntze
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 04:40 PM UTC
It looks great. What kind of metallic paint do you use?
 _GOTOTOP