_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Seeking Build Of Aerial Victory Types?
buster4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 04:25 PM UTC
Dear Group:

I would like to (slowly as is my wont) assembling a collection of the air arm with the most types of aircraft shot down. Which of course is not necessarily the highest number of victories.

I must confirm my suspicion the Royal Air Force is this air arm, and then seek to find out what kind of victories were gained. Finally there is the daunting task of rounding up the kits and building them. Am I on the right track looking at the RAF as filling the bill for my criteria?

Sincerely,

AC
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a collection of the air arm with the most types of aircraft shot down.

A little bit of a dark side, eh!

I've done no research on the subject, but, I should think the RAF is a contender considering the lend/lease program of US types in the inventory, as well as their own. Its likely safe to say that every type put into the sky had examples shot down at some point.
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the air arm with the most types of aircraft shot down.

I'm a little confused as to whether you mean the air arm with the most 'kills' over enemy types or 'losses' to them.

e.g. The Luftwaffe with a few shot down many Red Air Force types (lend-lease and the rest). Or do you mean the other way round?
buster4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 05:46 PM UTC
Let me clarify: how many different varieties of aircraft did an air force shoot down? If it is the RAF the victories over Germany, Italy, Vichy, Japan, other AXIS, would apply. Considering its global and long term deployment I suspect the RAF gained victories over the most types of airplanes.

TIA

buster4
 _GOTOTOP