_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Famous "Red 7" belly landed .... again
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:26 AM UTC
Famous sight over Europe, Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-4 "Red 7" from Manching/Germany has crash landed at Roskilde Air Show in Denmark last weekend In the first video you can hear the DB 605 dying ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTs7G9teJ-M

And this is how she looked like in the cornfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-2GwBp6uII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDPPmyfIwc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECpOWChp_OM

Great reaction of Klaus Plasa, the pilot, in such a situation. He left unhurt. Also a big thanks to Roskilde Fire Fighters and Falck Service.
But that means no 109 over Tannkosh this weekend and in 3 weeks over the Hahnweide in Germany.
I know this plane since 2005 and had the luck to take hundreds of pictures, so nearly every rivet. I know she has a strong will and wants to fly again. So let's hope the best.

This was the start up the day before the crash at Roskilde Airport. Awesome sound ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmxnSn-QO0U
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
Torsten, Thanks for the links to the 3 videos. At least the 109 wasn't destroyed, and will fly again.
Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Praise to the pilot for his coolness and skill!

No trying to be silly but the Bf 109 is a beautiful airframe even on its belly!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 01:10 AM UTC
Very quick reactions on that pilot. You can see him make that decision about which field he likes best when he snaps to port so suddenly.
Looked like a bloody fast approach too...

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys! Yes, Klaus Plasa must be a very good pilot. I heared he has already about 15000 flying hours on various aircrafts, so he surely knows his job. I will let you know in this thread when I have some news about the "Red 7".

Sadly, I have to report about another accident happened today. Just returned from Tannheim Airfield, better known as "Tannkosh", the little brother of Oshkosh. This morning at about noon, this beautiful Udet Flamingo crashed during take off. I followed the scenery right next to me. The biplane didn't came off the ground properly, touched the gras on one wheel again, broke out and crashed into a parked aircraft just opposite to where I stood. Luky me! Though the whole crash looked really dramatic, only 2 people suffered minor injuries and one person with more seroius injuries but no life danger. The rescue helicoter flew away empty.

Just minutes before the aircraft stood in the flight line right before my nose and I thought, what a lovely sound this engine makes. You just don't hear the cylinders working, you can even see them doing so. From another pilot I got the information that it's a replica, built in the 1990's and belongs as a traditional aircraft to the Deutsche Flugwerft Oberschleissheim near Munich. Let's hope the injured people get well soon.

I made these photos, so I don't hurt any copy rights.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi Torsten

Thanks for the update. That is another tragedy, but thank goodness there don't seem to have been any serious injuries. As they say; airframes can always be rebuilt... people can't.

Of course, incidents like these will re-open the argument over whether vintage aircraft should be in museums or risked at airshows. My view is that they were built to fly and, within reason, they belong in their element...

Having worked as a volunteer at the RAF Museum, Hendon, I have to admit I found something intrinsically sad about the historic aircraft that were grounded permanently, and would never even have their engines run up again. They were like musical instruments too precious to be played, and it just seemed somehow "wrong"...

But many people will disagree.

All the best

Rowan
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
Fly as many as you can I say. Provided that if they crash, no matter how badly, you rebuild them.

Unless one's crashed into the maw of an active volcano it can be rebuilt from most any degree of carnage.
 _GOTOTOP