_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Miracle Masks Spitfire
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi all,

Here is my latest model, once again Eduard's Spitfire Mk.IX. But this time with some goodies: Brassin cockpit, Brassin wheels, photo etched Surface Panels and Flaps from Eduard, CMK resin engine, armament bay and radio bay. The CMK stuff was designed for the Hasegawa Spitfire and needed some adjustments.

The model was entirely painted using Mal Mayfield's Miracle Masks: camouflage, roundels, codes, serial, D-Day stripes, yellow leading edge stripes, walkway line and the Lion shield.

The base is self made and reproduces the SMT (Squer-Mesh Track) used by the Allied Forces in Normandy after D-Day.

A build article will appear in the September issue of Tamiya Magazine France.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Really Nice!! though I am shaking my head about the crew mans pose ... I would break my back, sitting a wheelchair afterwards

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Quoted Text

though I am shaking my head about the crew mans pose ... I would break my back, sitting a wheelchair afterwards

Knowing you "in the flesh" so to speak, I can imagine that...

Here is the picture I was inspired by, just to show you from where I got this idea.

Jean-Luc
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc
Nice work again!
I have the kit and masks (my first time using masks) and could you tell me the make of paint/colour you used for the markings.
Again great workmanship!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 02:46 PM UTC
Bravo!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hi Santa-Luc,
I do like that

That looks awesome can I have some pictures for my Face Book site after the artical is released?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words.

For the camouflage colors I have used Tamiya acrylics XF-80, XF-81 et XF-82. The roundels colors are XF-8 blue and XF-7 red with some black mixed in each.

Mal, you can use the above pictures if you want. Just mention that the model is for Tamiya Magazine France. I will give you one copy of the magazine in Telford if we both make it there...

Jean-Luc
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
Thank you Jean-Luc for the paint info!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 08:20 AM UTC
Thanks Santa-Luc that would be great
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 03:22 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, just an overall outstanding build and presentation. The mechanic in the fuselage is a really nice touch, especially after seeing the photograph that inspired it.
Joel
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
Geez! Not even sure I can come up with the appropriate superlatives Jean Luc. Wonderful job. I suspect there are a lot of people turning green right now...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Beautiful work as ever! I hope you've added full control runs etc. for the contortionist to work on inside the fuselage!

I do have one question - and that concerns the position of the fin flashes. The only reason they stood out for me is because, ironically, I hit the same issue with a set of Xtradecals that I've used on my own Spit. There, the flashes will only fit if positioned higher than my references show, so I've ended up masking to do a repair job.

Have you based your fin flashes on a photo? Maybe I should have left mine alone...

All the best

Rowan
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 01:17 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Outstanding work.
Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 02:07 AM UTC
A wonderful job; well done.
I've never tried masking insignia and such. The results are obviously superior to decal application. I suppose I fear the difficulty factor, and suspect the ease of screwing things up badly would be increased.
Then again, I likely don't know what I'm talking about as I've never tried it.

Really a nice job, though.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks again for your kind words

Quoted Text

Have you based your fin flashes on a photo? Maybe I should have left mine alone...

Rowan, I must confess that I was lazy and didn't used photos for the fin flashes. Now that you mention it I realize that I have placed them differently on my two Spitfire models. What is right I don't know?

As for the use of masks, the only way to find out if the technic suits you is to try at least once...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well - you can judge the results of my tinkering with the fin flashes on my Spit from my latest post!

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/209166

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC
The fin flash actually sits on the fin. However I have realised that the mask surround on my fin flashes can make this difficult so, for my latest build a 1/32 Spit Mk V I cut the lower edge of the mask down by half. This made the positioning easier. I think that most would position the flash on the panel line as you have Santa-Luc, I hadn't noticed until Rowan mentioned it.

@Ben

Quoted Text

I've never tried masking insignia and such. The results are obviously superior to decal application. I suppose I fear the difficulty factor, and suspect the ease of screwing things up badly would be increased.
Then again, I likely don't know what I'm talking about as I've never tried it.

There is no reason not to try it I will happily send you some masks, just for postage, so that you can have a go off a model. RAF 4 colour C1 type roundels are one of the hardest to mask and paint but it is actually very easy if you follow my instructions The other thing that masked markings are is addictive Once you have tried them decals just aren't good enough
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is no reason not to try it I will happily send you some masks, just for postage, so that you can have a go off a model. RAF 4 colour C1 type roundels are one of the hardest to mask and paint but it is actually very easy if you follow my instructions The other thing that masked markings are is addictive Once you have tried them decals just aren't good enough

Thankyou, Mal. I would like to try some. I'll PM you soon, Canada Day long weekend here, in the sunshine you know!
 _GOTOTOP