_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobbycraft 1/48 Bf 109 K-4
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hello,

I can get this kit at a good price.
I read some reviews out on the web, some good, some bad.
So my question, how does this kit build up?
Anyone ever build one?
All advise welcome, as i want to exand my collection of Bf 109s

Tony
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
I have not directly built their 'K' model, their 'G' is broken down the same way. A easy build with minimal fuss. I will not go into what needs to be corrected since you are familiar wit that aspect. Few parts which are easy enough to put together to represent a 'K' model. Attach the upper wing halved to the built fuselage to obtain the correct dihedral. The adhere the lower wing. Other than that a simple build. My opinion get the Has kit, able to find some at a reasonable prices and a more accurate representation of a 'K' model.
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
Trevor,

Thank u for the respons, much appreciated.

Tony
48props
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC
I built a bunch before the hase kits came out. the hase kits are much better I'm sorry to say. the tailplanes are uneven in height and difficult to fix and the front canopy is thick and doesn't fit well. It's a good kit to have fun with the many ambiguous late war schemes. Good luck with it.
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC
Ron,

Thanks for ur input.
I will try to find a hase kit then and let this one pass by.

Tony
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC
Use a Zvezda Me-109F fuselage/wing, with a tacked-on Hasegawa nose and "tall tail", IF you like accuracy... It would be much easier to do a G-10 given the K's very different and prominent left-side tail storage hatch, which otherwise you would have to re-scribe on the Zvezda tail...

The Hasegawa tilting canopy is way too wide to fit the Zvezda kit, so it is, as one would expect, completely useless, but it turns out the Hobbycraft Erla Haube canopy is by far the best in the business, and will fit -with a fair bit of persuation- the correct width Zvezda cockpit!

The Hasegawa fuselage cross-section is fictional in two directions: Around 50 mm too shallow behind the cockpit, and 50 mm too wide at the cockpit sill: Actual aircraft is 1280 mm X 625 mm...

However... The Hasegawa K nose is the only K/G-10 nose that replicates the correct nose assymetry, so is the only K/G-10 nose that is in any way useable...: It should be adaptable to the Zvezda with a bit of narrowing and re-engineering...

Be aware Hasegawa late noses may have a slight "nose up" look to their nose underside profile, which you might want to mitigate before installation, and the spinner should be replaced by the Zvezda spinner. The Hasegawa prop blades and back plate might be useable, but the blades have a very slight bit of taper when they shouldn't.

Don't let anyone tell you there is good kit of the late 109s in 1/48th: There isn't.

Gaston

Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 09:16 PM UTC
Gaston,

Thanks for the insight.
However, i have no intention nor the skill to start a kit bash that u suggest.
I will think a bit more on what u said on late 109s.
I only asked about the Hobbycraft K-4 coz i saw it very cheap.

Thanks
Tony
 _GOTOTOP