_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: The Lottery Campaign
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC
Welcome to the The Lottery campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC
So to those of you just tuning in here's the breakdown :

In the lottery campaign you are assigned a theme AT RANDOM from a list (see below). The purpose of this, aside from fun, is to encourage subject matter that modelers may not normally broach. And have fun along the way. Remember to ask for your lot to be drawn after signing up!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's see some timestamp photos!

No need, the Jar of Eternal Doomnation will rain thunder and brimstone and bad stuff down on those who dare try to circumvent the rules !

Bring on the styrene and resin and photo etch and other goodness, this promises to be a fascinating Campaign.

Good luck to all participants!

Cheers, D
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 05:24 PM UTC
I'll be tight up for another week in a competiton build, but next week, I plan to start the "HinomarYou".
I am really looking forward to all the different builds.
I wonder how many participants dare to ignore the jars calling in the end:
It is said this may lead to seven years of bad sex!

Cheers,
Guido
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 - 11:05 PM UTC
Here we go again - it's Mirage time!

It's been a very long time since I built a Heller kit, and this one looks pretty simple. The painting will be a different story however, quite a lot of fairly complicated masking and spraying to do.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm doing #26, a British Aircraft in US service.

Aifix kindly boxes exactly what I need. Their current 1/72 Spitfire Vb boxing includes only US markings, one for a 73 'Eagle' Squadron RAF example, the other for Don Gentile. I'll be doing the latter as it offers US Insignia rather than merely an American Pilot in an American-staffed Squadron

Airfix Spitfire Vc 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
I will post my timestamps shortly. Summer is hard for me and I've been properly offlined doing phase one of our kitchen reno, buying a new truck, on top of doing a bathroom, two basements and a major structural reno for work.

But I shall not let you all down in the fight against the arbitrarian jar.

I hope to see at least fifty percent completion when all is said and done. Adam and Lee have us off to a good start. Especially with so many other campaigns on the go!
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 07:32 AM UTC
Alright, then! Shall we all begin? And, oh yeah, TALLY HO!!

I'll do the washing-up later this evening, and then, the fun starts. Best of look to everyone. May your seams be filled and straight! Happy Gluing, JT
shorty53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 01:59 PM UTC
A quick question, Do I pick something from the list to build or do I get told what to build?
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 02:08 PM UTC
So, anything with three motors, eh!!!

This is the one I was anxiously waiting for. I'm not about to put this lovely summer on hold, but, will try and work my way through this interesting kit. With the parts out of the bags, I can tell she's going to be a fairly large 1/72nd and definitely a weightier model.

And the games begin; as soon as is possible!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A quick question, Do I pick something from the list to build or do I get told what to build?

John, the jar of doom is held by our fearless campaign leader, it decides your fate. Just put your name on the list and find a safe comfy spot to await your instructions!

Ben, JT, those are some wild looking machines, I can't wait to see them coming together.

Cheers, D
shorty53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John, the jar of doom is held by our fearless campaign leader, it decides your fate. Just put your name on the list and find a safe comfy spot to await your instructions!

Ben, JT, those are some wild looking machines, I can't wait to see them coming together.

Cheers, D

Thanks Damian. I'm alraedy enlisted!
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 07:50 PM UTC
Okay, my task is 'yellow wings' era US Navy. A cunning one this. I'm sure we all agree the planes look lovely... but who wants to paint a large expanse of yellow? Not me, certainly.

I'm going to go with the Airfix 1/72nd scale TBD Devastator.

No early starts, honest

This is 'old school' Airfix. So I've got surface detail that could have your eye out...

and some subtle ejector pin marks.

I'm hoping to deal with both those issues during the build.

I've also got the dreaded brown-backed Airfix decals, which I swore I would never use again.

So I grabbed these decals instead.

Look nice, but unfortunately, this set does NOT include the national insignia. Not sure what I'll do about that yet.

To round things off, I treated myself to a bit of reference material.

So I'm all set. Hoping to make a start over the next couple of days.
Thundergrunt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 10:05 PM UTC
Awaiting my Assignment! this is a great campaign Idea I like it.

raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awaiting my Assignment! this is a great campaign Idea I like it.

Here's some copypasta from the last thread. Find your names!

1. "Take a Chance (Vought that is.)" Build any aircraft designed and developed by Vought. Luciano, Littorio

2. "Sopwith you??" Build any Sopwith Aircraft. Sven, SHarjacek

3. "Just a Mirage" Build a Mirage. Lee, ljames0874

4. "Polish Planes and the Pilots who ply them." You must build an Polish designed/built aircraft in Polish Colours. Damian, AussieReg

5. "Stupendous Supermarines sans Spitfires" Build a supermarine aircraft BUT NO SPITFIRES! Jess, Jessie_C

6. "Trial of the Trimotors!" Build any flying machine with not one, not two, but THREE powerplants. Ben, McLeod

7. "South Asian Sensation!" Build any aircraft serving or served in the Indian Air Force, in Indian colours. Andrew, amegan

8. "Oh de Vichy!" Build a Vichy French aircraft in Vichy colours. Andy, Torchy

9. "Red Star Recon" Build a Warsaw Pact or PLAAF reconnaissance aircraft. G37

10. "Yellow Wings of the USN" Build a US Navy Aircraft in the interwar yellow winged livery. Simon, Simon_H

11. "Pushy Pushy" Build any aircraft with a Pusher Prop configuration. Jon, Fister30

12. "Luftwaffe Lookers and Luggers" Build any UNARMED Luftwaffe Aircraft. (No prototypes!) Stephen, Shuftie

13. "Supersonic Soviets!" Something Soviet that soars Supersonic. (in level flight) Richard, raypalmer

14. "Chalet Bums" Build any aircraft with Skis. Metodi, Emperor

15. "I SPAD in your general direction!" Build any SPAD in any colours. Stefan, Dangeroo

16. "Fleet Air Arm Flops and Failures" Build any FAA Aircraft that was rubbish. Richard, tinbanger

17. "Missed Opportunities" Build an aircraft that NEARLY made it. But didn't. Think Avro Arrow or TSR2. Shorty53

18. "CATOBAR!" Build a CATOBAR Aircraft. Veleho, Wizzard

19. "Floaters." Any aircraft that floats. dman57, Derek

20. "Neutral Colours" Build a period warplane belonging to a Second or First World War Neutral Power. Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal etc. Sean, windysean

21. "Iran Contra Affair" Build any aircraft with a Contra-Rotating Propeller, OR any Iranian Air Force Aircraft. JT, usethermite

22. "Need for Speed" Build any aircraft that (just cite your sources) has for any period of time held the all-out World Air Speed Record. Warren, warreni

23. "African Queen" Build any aircraft belonging to the air force of a sub-saharan African nation. SAAF Subjects are disallowed. Eirik, SuperSandaas

24. "Old Timers" Build any aircraft that has been, or was, in service over fifty years. Vance, vanize

25. "Go forth and be fruitful" Build any aircraft built in numbers greater than ten thousand.

26. "Tea and Donuts" Build any British Aircraft that served with the United States, in American Livery(Military or SAR) Adam, mykroft

27. "Cola and Crumpets" Build any American Aircraft that served with the United Kingdom, in British Livery (military or SAR) Csouthwood, Chris

28. "I Am Canadian" Build something RCAF! (Maple Lead Roundels only) Warren, warreni

29. "West Island Air Force" Build something RAAF! (Kangaroo Roundels only)

30. "First!" Build any racing plane (purpose designed or re-purposed) in its racing colours! Brent, North4003

31. "Czechmate!" Build any Czech aircraft. (Free Czech flying with the RAF are acceptable so long as the Czech insignia is present)

32. "Pearl Diving" Build any aircraft that participated in the attack on/defense of Pearl Harbour. Must be correct markings and scheme for Dec 7, 1941. Richard, Arrrgee

33. "Blame it on the Twin Boom" Build any twin boom aircraft OR aircraft capable of Mach 2 in level flight (no rockets.) Jesper, SGTJKJ

34. "Made in China" Build any Chinese manufactured Aircraft in Chinese livery. Sascha, IronOwlr

35. "Cripes, it's a Convair" Any aircraft you please, so long as it's a Convair. Richard, raypalmer45

36. "Gimme a break!" Any aircraft with folding wings, built with wings in the folded position. Heitor, HeitorJA

37. "Drafted" Build any civilian aircraft pressed into service.

38. "Hellofacopter" Anything rotary wing. Van, vdejarnette tte

39. "NASA to meet you!" Build any aircraft used by NASA. Guido, Tailor

40. "Low Hanging Fruit" Build any aircraft with an anhedral wing. Yalym, JollyRoger

41. "Rotation Station" Build any aircraft with a rotary engine. Ian, ianclasper

42. "Danger Bay!" Build a Canadian Bush plane. Chris, c4willy

43. "Spit and tissue paper." Build any PRE-WWI aircraft (heavier than air). Phillipus

44. "Duck!" Build any aircraft with canards. Van, vdejarnette

45. "Beware the Contra-flow..." Build any aircraft or helicopter with contra-rotating propellers. Ian, Streetgang6

46. "They're grrrrrrrrreat!" Build any aircraft than attended a tiger meet. (Must have some kind of tiger art somewhere on the aircraft)

47. "Last of the gunfighters." Build any FIRST GENERATION jet fighter. Paul, wertywertheim

48. "Show offs." Build an aircraft from any aerobatic display team. Thundergrunt

49. "Fix it again Tony" Build an Italian designed and built aircraft. Sven, Sharjacek

50. "Hinomar-YOU!" Build any aircraft belonging to the Japanese Navy, Airforce or Army. Guido, Tailor

51. "Money Shot." Build any aircraft with its cowlings off or open to display its engine. Aircraft with normally exposed engines are disallowed.

52. "Emergency!" Build any firefighting or air ambulance aircraft. Andy, betheyn

53. You're in Le Rhone place. "Take a swing at the spinning french motor of yesteryear.

54."Mail oriented society." Build a mail plane! Andrew, amegan

55. "Big is beautiful" Build any aircraft that is longer or wider than a 747-400.

56. "Who's mowing the lawn?" Build a recreational aircraft. Single engine, no ultra or micro lights. Think Cessna or Piper Cub.

57. "More is more!" Build any aircraft with FIVE or MORE engines that isn't a B52.

58. "Oh Carp." Build any aircraft named for a fish, marine mammal or crustacean. Jan, WildSau

59. "Amazons and Andes" Build any aircraft belonging to a South American Airforce that isn't Brasil or Argentina. Frederick, cinzano

60. "Cuba es autentica." Cuban Air Force!! Ansel, anselneo

61. "Buzz." Build any aircraft named for an insect.

62. "UN Carte Blanche." Build any aircraft wearing United Nations colours.

63. "Tanks for the Kurtsy." Build any aircraft designed by Kurt Tank.

64. "Properly Fast." Anything you please, so long as it's got a Turboprop.

65. "Landing backwards." Any POST WWI aircraft with a stall speed below 40mph (64kph)(35kn).

66. "Flying Circus." Build a WWI aircraft that PROMINENTLY features a depiction of a factual or fictional beast.

67. "Pages of history." Build any aircraft belonging to a nation that no longer exists that is not Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union or Imperial Germany.

ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 07:24 AM UTC
I started by washing the sprues, which was very necessary - you could actually see the grease in places, and it had left a brownish residue on the plastic. You can see here that the part count on this model is very low (even lower as the one I am doing isn't even armed!). The cockpit detail, such as it is, is very basic indeed. A pair of very basic bang seats, an instrument panel decal and a joystick for the front office only.

As the canopy is in one piece and can therefore only be positioned closed, I don't want to spend too long on the cockpits. Even so, a little extra scratch building should bring it up to snuff.
Simon_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
Okay, I've started attacking the plastic on the Devastator. I went over all the horrible rivets with some coarse wet & dry until they were gone! Then I used the same wet and dry on the ejector pin marks and embossed part numbers in the cabin area. I went over the cabin area with some Mr. Surfacer, and once that was dry, I went over it with some fine wet & dry for a decently smooth finish. On the outside I used a pencil to rough in where I want to put some panel lines.

Then I took a deep breath and had my first ever try at scribing panel lines. I've a lot to learn. It is VERY hard to keep a consistent 'depth' to your lines. And the scriber will often just shoot off in some other direction as though it has a mind of its own. But it is not terrible, and I feel it will still look better than the dinner plate sized rivets. I also started adding some detail to the inside of the cabin and wheel wells. Not trying to be 100% accurate, just make it look interesting.

Next time... more work on the interior, I think.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC
Well here is the all important date shot, two Corsairs for the 'take a chance' build although as you may notice from the decal sheets no US Navy schemes for me.

It'll be a week or two before I start though as there are a couple of thinks on the bench to finish first.

Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

43. "Spit and tissue paper." Build any PRE-WWI aircraft (heavier than air). Phillipus

Jeez I'm stuffed! Need to get some research underway.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here's one possible solution. These kits are currently available, and very accurate but they're also fairly expensive.

Alternatively you can look for the Inpact/Pyro/Life Like kits on evil-bay. We had a thread about them not long ago. These kits are getting pretty rare, so unless you find a steal like Robert did they may end up costing you about the same as the AJP kits above.

Of course there's also the old Monogram Wright Flyer...

Oops, look what I just found. That should be much cheaper. It's the same plastic as the Inpact(etc, etc) kit mentioned above.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hehehehe sorry Phil. I had to put a few sardines in the salad to make it interesting.

I would have to say I'm partial to the Bleriot channel plane or the original, closed ellipse wing Bleriot 3... No kits are evident though...
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 10:49 AM UTC
FROG released a Bleriot, original boxings and repops can both be found on ebay for a pittance usually. I got an Eastern Express one for $0.99 (in today money) a few months ago.

I've also seen these show up on eBay.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/aviation/Renwal_1_72_Curtiss_Flyer.php

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Phil,
There is always the Revell Monogram Wright Brothers Flyer.
http://www.activepowersports.com/revell-monogram-855243-139-wright-flyer-1st-pwrd-flight-rmx855243-model/
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi All
The Lottery #16
Fleet Air Arm Flops And Failures
SB2C-4 Helldiver.

Deliveries of the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, in British nomenclature called Helldiver Mk. I, began by the end of 1943, but totalled only 26 aircraft before ceasing in April 1944. The reason for this were unsatisfactory results of service tests at A&AEE.
Quote:-IPMS Stockholm.

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 01:54 PM UTC
Time to start, submitted for your enjoyment is the Testors 90's rebox of the late 50's Hawk 1925 RC3-2 Curtiss Racer. Deceptively simple, lots of sanding and filling ahead. And by popular request, floats and strings plus the "First - Build a Racing Plane category all in one kit.

The time stamp.

_GOTOTOP