_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Now Enlisting: FROG modellers
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 12:54 PM UTC
The Ancient Airfix and Matchbox campaigns were wonderous to behold, but I wonder how many builders here have an abiding affection, (and perhaps and unbuilt collection) as I do, for FROG models?

The comapny has been out of business since 1976, but many a complete kit can still be found in the usual places for small money.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:07 PM UTC
I have a Pioneer reboxed Sea Venom, a Novo Hotspur and a Revell Gannet, all of which owe their origins to Frog. Would you accept them? What about scratchbuilding the (sometimes) nonexistent interiors? (Gannet, I'm looking at you!)
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:59 PM UTC
the Novo and Revell reissues are definately faithful to the Frog legacy, (especially Novo- that box art and those colors!!) and also long out of production. I am not familiar with the Pioneer line, but sure, why not.

I dont see any reason to apply a strictly out of the box rule, I never build kits that way myself, I wouldnt expect anyone else to.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Novo and Revell reissues are definately faithful to the Frog legacy, (especially Novo- that box art and those colors!!) and also long out of production. I am not familiar with the Pioneer line, but sure, why not.

I dont see any reason to apply a strictly out of the box rule, I never build kits that way myself, I wouldnt expect anyone else to.

I'm currently building a Frog Novo Chemitic Seahawk OOB for Jurasic Plastic. I would be up for building one of the Airlines or Frog Kits I have on hand. I prefer the older kits, it pushes me to improve my modeling skills.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:32 PM UTC
I'm tempted, but with the possible exception of a Hasegawa by Frog boxing I don't have any samples from that manufacturer.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
Oh yes, thanks for the reminder! I've also got the Frogsegawa Lightning F.6 which could fit the criteria.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:51 PM UTC
I had heard that some of the Frog kits were made by Hasegawa, how can you tell?
It wouldnt have bothered me in 1975, so I cant be bothered now.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:55 PM UTC
Oh, I thought that they were early Hase plastic, that they contracted with various kit manufacturers to sell the kits in the US. I think I have Hase's B-47E in an AMT/Hasegawa box.

Now the early Hase kits have fit issues, but I didn't think that they were as bad as Frog was reputed to be.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 08:00 PM UTC
You can count me in, with Modelcraft's rebox of the Sea Vixen.
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 11:55 PM UTC
After checking Scalemates, this is a perfect opportunity to build one of my Eastern Express models. I have a Bleriot XI, Supermarine S.6B, or Blackburn Shark II which are all FROG reboxings. I'm in.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
I've got a Hasegawa Lightning F6 in the stash, I didn't know it was a Frog kit previously. The two Frog kits I remember with most affection were the Gloster E28/39 and the Percival Proctor. I have seen the E29/39 recently, presumably a reboxed Frog kit but I have not seen the Proctor for a long time. Count me in
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got a Hasegawa Lightning F6 in the stash, I didn't know it was a Frog kit previously.

I think as MD72 said earlier, it was the other way round, Frog boxed up a bunch of Hasegawa kits.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC
According to Thunder and Lightnings, it was originally made by Frog, then reboxed.

A venerable old mould that has been boxed and reboxed ad nauseam. Original made by Frog, Hasegawa took the moulds on and reboxed it and more recently it has been sold by Revell. The plastic inside the boxes is basically the same (Hasegawa made some minor changes), and is far from the quality you would expect of either Hasegawa or Revell despite nice box art from both companies. In terms of accuracy the kit falls short, as seems to be the case with all 1/72 plastic offerings. The nose and canopy shape are off (though far less noticeably so than with the Airfix or Trumpeter kits). There is no cockpit or undercarriage detail to speak of. Detailing is by fine raised lines and is mostly OK. It is roughly on a par with the Matchbox kit in that it is a broadly decent representation but lacking in detail. As well as the major reboxings by Hasegawa and Revell it has also appeared in boxes from other manufacturers such as Eastern Express. Revell were so guilty about re-issuing this old kit that they even included a disclaimer in the box asking you to excuse any shortcomings in quality!
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
haha in light of that, I guess the Hasegawa versions are acceptable, since it will subject the builder to the full Frog experience
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Speaking of the Frog experience, here's the Venom. Premiere was a collaboration between Pioneer and Tasman. They were among the first of the "high grade" kits which included such items as white metal parts and vac canopies which we now take for granted from the aftermarket.

Nice Aeroclub white metal parts, Falcon vac canopy, Tasman decals, tons of photo references in the instruction sheet and all that going onto a Frog Sea Venom
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 09:26 AM UTC
Jessie,
Very nice Sea Venom. I pulled out the Frog//Testors Airlines kits that I have for a look, The Martin Baltimore looks interesting, I will have to source prop and decal replacements if it is chosen.
I bought several of these kits from my local hobby shop a year or so ago because they were unusual subjects and were inexpensive.
My other choices could be the Fokker DXXI, MS 406, Dewoitine D520C, Fairey Barracuda, or Vultee Vengence. Decals are all old so replacements are necessary.

I have no idea where the rest of the prop is.

It's pretty amazing how many different companies have released their molds through the years.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 09:56 AM UTC
I have not heard of "air Lines" before, how are they related to Frog?
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
The Airlines Kits are an American release of some of the Frog molds done for Testor's Corp. circa 1964-1966.

http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/2012/08/15/air-linesfrog-172-scale-box-art-trading-cards/

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=158752

Frog has quite an involved history. It is amazing to consider the number of incarnations it's molds have been released under.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 10:58 AM UTC
cool. More and more branches to the Frog family tree.

I have almost decided to build the Maryland, though the decal sheet in my kit is beyond saving. I was thinking of making into a (fictional) fire fighter like this A-26

I have this to add sauce the idea of this campaign,

Amongst my collection, I have duplicates of these two kits. They are unopened.
If there is enough interest to run a campaign, I'll hold a lottery and send these anywhere in the world to two campaigners who are willing to attempt to build them.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 02:41 PM UTC
well, Now I've got something to look for at the Seattle IPMS show later this month. Any real guide like there was for the Airfix campaign? Any kits that were notably better or worse than average?
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie,
Very nice Sea Venom. I pulled out the Frog//Testors Airlines kits that I have for a look, The Martin Baltimore looks interesting, I will have to source prop and decal replacements if it is chosen.
I bought several of these kits from my local hobby shop a year or so ago because they were unusual subjects and were inexpensive.
My other choices could be the Fokker DXXI, MS 406, Dewoitine D520C, Fairey Barracuda, or Vultee Vengence. Decals are all old so replacements are necessary.

Does anyone know a good set of replacement props and decals for a french version of the Baltimore?

I have no idea where the rest of the prop is.

It's pretty amazing how many different companies have released their molds through the years.

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
I'm in, probably with the exact Sea Venom boxing seen above, as I acquired one a while back.

I don't think I've ever built a Frog kit, guess it's time to start.
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
FROG is an acronym for Flies Right Off the Ground, a harkback to their prewar origins. Frog Penguins were also an early kit range. Frog re-boxed quite a number of Hasegawa kits, the Lightning being already mentioned. I can remember the OV1 Mohawk, A4 Skyhawk, LTV A7A Corsair, F100 Super Sabre to name but a few.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thought I was going to come up dry, but I managed to score a Corsair IV and a Hellcat Mk. 1. There were a few other Frog kits about, but these two were calling "Build me!".
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
I had already given up this idea, but we seem to be in the 7-10 range of interested builders now.

If this campaign does fly we are looking at an early 2014 time frame, most likely, so there is plenty of time to wait for a kit to appear at a good price.
Speaking of which, I want to reiterate my offer to give away the Do.17Z and Mosquito kits shown above, and also the Spitfire.14 with buzzbomb, kit shown in the first post,

as I find I have dupes of that one as well.
I think first come first served is reasonable given the modest level of interest, so anyone who fancies one of them can PM me and put a claim on it - with the understanding that you will enlist in the campaign and start (though not necessarily finish) the kit.
 _GOTOTOP