_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
Spitfire Mk.IIa propeller&spinner
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Department of Correction have released another resin improvement, this time for a popular Spitfire model kit in 1:48 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 09:42 AM UTC
Not a correction, it enables a Mk I to be built as a Mk IIa. Already well covered I am afraid. Airfix have this covered in both 1/72 and 1/48. Ultracast have had a conversion for a long time and more recently 3D-Kits have been selling conversion kits in 1/72 and 1/48 with or without decals.

Still, it looks very good quality and I would certainly give it consideration for converting the Tamiya kit.

You can also make a Mk IIb but need to take the oil cooler with the round aperture and wings from the Mk Vb kit but use the fabric ailerons from the Mk I. The Mk I wings with the metal ailerons and D shaped oil cooler can then be used with the Mk V kit to make a Mk Va.

Some Mk Vs also had Coffman bulges and Rotol spinners. 315 squadron's AB931/PK*C was one. It featured in one of Montex's mask sets. The conversion would be ideal for that.

Tip. The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MK I early/Mk IIa kit comprises the Mk I with an extra sprue with Rotol spinner, Coffman bulge, Watts propeller, pole aerial and an oil cooler with a round aperture. You can build both options by just buying a Mk I kit as well so saving a £ or £2, and you still have a round oil cooler which you can use for a Mk Va.
 _GOTOTOP