_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
Curtiss Hawk "Export Version"
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
Jean-Luc Formery builds and corrects the 1/48 Must Have kit of the Curtiss Hawk 75 in two versions.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi,

Very nice Jean-Luc...!!! Very well done

This proves the idea that...

"We haven't got any bad kit, but we bevome lazy and gruppy modelers to much offen..."

Thanks, Very enjoyable

Diego
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
Really nice, Jean-Luc!!!

I started the conversion right away when I came home from telford .. but then I put it back in the box as I have sooo..oooo...oooo many projects running, that I have to finish a few first

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 09:12 PM UTC
Nice one Jean-Luc!

It's great to see you back on the Front-page where you belong - and with such an inspiring build!

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 09:39 PM UTC
Really nice pair of Hawks Jean-Luc.

It's nice to see a problem over come rather than just rubbished as has become some what common lately and it proves that you don't need the latest tamigawa kit to make a master piece.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 09:52 PM UTC
Beautiful work J-L, great to see your work as always.

Cheers, D
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC
Very well done, indeed!!

I'm somewhat surprised that a manufacturer would suggest you must shave off valuable detail in order to make parts fit. Thats a quality sales feature, and I'm sure I'll run right out and buy one so I can butcher parts to fit as well.
You've successfully conquered these issues in an expert manner, and have produced a fine model. Your painting skills are first rate as well.

Your wonderful results have instilled a desire to learn this silicon/resin casting technique. I think I'll spent some time researching the process.

A very nice feature article with an outstanding model.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
Fantastic work, especially on the cowlings. As a former Curtiss-Wright employee who, ages ago (1980s) actually did some legal work relating to R-1820 engine parts, I have always been partial to this version of the Hawk 75. These are the very first builds I have seen in 1/48 that get the cowlings right, for which you are to be commended. I sure wish I had your skill!.wish I had your
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
Oops, I posted before complete. I do think you are far too kind to "Must Have" for this issue. It was specifically marketed as a gap filler in the 1/48 line. and with all the resin parts and gingerbread in it that they did include, I was appalled when my two copies of the kit arrived (right after it was out) and I saw they did nothing with the kit cowlings. (WHAT were they thinking?) For those without your talent, one can only hope for a Vector correction set as per the Hobbyboss FM-2 correction set.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Top-notch work there! The export P-36 series are my favorites -- thanks for tackling these. I have the Armée de l'Air H75 A-4 by Hobbycraft that was started about 10 years ago, now I may finish it. IIRC, H75s made up about 10% of Armée de l'Air strength yet accounted for about 25% of the kills against the Luftwaffe.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thank you for your kind words and thanks Jessica for the editing work.

Quoted Text

These are the very first builds I have seen in 1/48 that get the cowlings right, for which you are to be commended.

Wow! Coming from a former Curtiss-Wright employee, I take this as a big compliment. I'm happy that my modification "looks" right. Brian, I can send you a couple if you want to modify your Musthave kits. Just PM me your postal address.

Jean-Luc
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
Ted, that's the answer to a prayer!!! I would LOVE to have a couple, will pay postage, etc. Send to Brian O'Neill, PO Box 639, Morristown, NJ 07963. Also, my e-mail address is [email protected]. Thanks a million. If you e-mail me I'll send a pic of my 1/48 Dutch CW-21B build using the old Wings Ships and Wheels resin kit. Reall, I can't thank you enough.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 06:23 PM UTC
That's some build! Good work on the cowling, round and flimsy things aren't that easy to handle! And two very good-looking Hawks as well!

Magnus
mwkoubek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

I am working correcting my 1/48 Hawk 75A-7 (Dutch East Indies). If I could purchase from you a couple of your corrected cowlings for the kit that would be wonderful. Also, I saw in your write up that you have a set of 1/48 schematics for that version of the Hawk. Could I get a copy of those as well?

Please email me at [email protected]

I am in New Jersey, USA

Thank you,
Mike Koubek
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Jean-Luc,
What a dynamic return to the front page with an outstanding feature of not one, but two versions of 1/48 scale Must Have Kit. Your modifications prove once again that you're way more then just a plastic modeler. You're a skilled craftsman working within the plastic media.

As for the builds themselves, both are flawless in their own right. One would never know nor assume that such drastic measures were needed to produce them. And that's the key to modeling, making it look easy and simple, yet it's exactly the opposite.

Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi Mike and Joel,

digging out old treasures, eh

Jean-Luc is not very active here and busy building other stuff (hope I can visit his man cave later this year) also he is on vacation now, not sure when he is back. Best write him an email or PM him...

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike and Joel,

digging out old treasures, eh

Jean-Luc is not very active here and busy building other stuff (hope I can visit his man cave later this year) also he is on vacation now, not sure when he is back. Best write him an email or PM him...

all the best

Steffen

Steffen,
Thanks for that heads up.
Joel
mwkoubek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 03:00 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Would it be possible to purchase your excellent corrected cowling parts for the 1/48 9 cylinder R-1820 engine Hawk 75A discussed here?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Michael Koubek
mwktke248 at yahoo dot com
New Jersey, USA
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hi Michael

I don't know if Jean-Luc looks in here often (or at all) these days. We all really miss his wonderful modelling and input.

I'll drop him a line to let him know you're interested in his conversion. Perhaps he can help.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP