Modern aircraft of the United States.
The real Miss America
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC
The details of the minigun are noteworthy.

This 19 year old ex-cheerleader now an Air Force Security Forces Sniper, was watching a road in Pakistan that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target (she shot him).

It turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban, and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a U.S. patrol walked by 30 minutes later. It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers.

The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards. She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot went through him and into the bomb which detonated; he was blown to pieces. The Air Force made a motivational poster of her. (Folks, that's a shot 25 yards longer than seven football fields). . .!

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Remember Freedom is a great thing!!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
From a Facebook friend and widly known writer Mr. Barrett Tillman, "The cheerleader sniper is in a different photo--complete with ear rings. This young lady poses with a Dillon M134D 7.62 minigun, manufactured here in Arizona Territory. Cures what ails ya. . ."
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 04:48 PM UTC
To paraphrase James Michener from The Bridges at Toko-Ri I sincerely ask, "Where do we find such women?"
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To paraphrase James Michener from The Bridges at Toko-Ri I sincerely ask, "Where do we find such women?"

Nowhere:

its a hoax

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/Polly-Jan-Bobseine.htm
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC
What caught my attention and made me suspicious was the absolute absence of any description of Rules of Engagement. The very last thing anyone would do in such a situation would be to shoot first and ask questions later. From 725 yards it's impossible to tell a bomber from an innocent person looking for his dropped glasses. It would be the height of irresponsibility and quite probably a war crime to kill someone without verification that way.

The people who fabricate such nonsense have no idea what they're talking about and it shows.
Fredbird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alpes-Maritimes, France
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 06:21 AM UTC
I always said "women are dangerous!"

wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 03:02 PM UTC
I personally liked the story:)
Mr. Lawson is absolutly right about the Mini Gun.
Just for Trivia, the pic is of the young Lady in the left hand side of a UH-60L Black Hawk
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:10 PM UTC
Thanks to all who have contributed. It is great to be able to sort fact from fiction in these troubled times. Though none of this diminishes the fine work that our sons and daughters do in service to their country. Its up to us to make sure that they know this. The details of the minigun are germain here. Simply take it for what is offered. The junk usually falls away when the light of day hits it.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nowhere:

its a hoax

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/Polly-Jan-Bobseine.htm

I regret that we got caught up again in an eMyth. However, that takes nothing away from the fact that a new The Few are rising up for their countries. The fact is that my paraphrase of Michener is still valid musing. Where do we find such women? Nowhere!???? Au contraire! We do find such men and women! Her factual bio proves that. I will not attempt to surmise her motives for joining the service yet I will praise her for sacrificing several years of her young life, willingly entering danger and hardship for her country -- a statistical blip amongst her peers -- while those peers spend their time in whatever noble or ignoble pursuits they choose.
Quoted Text

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men (And women - FB) stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men (And women - FB) stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

While we're clearing up myths, Churchill never said that, see:
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi there

It makes me scared to say anything along the lines of "truth being the first casualty of war", because that'll turn out to be a mis-quote too!

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 11:22 AM UTC
"A lie can run around the world before the truth has its boots on"?
tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
I remember seeing a story about the young lady pictured and that she was an aerial gunner; looks like and HH-60. I checked and snopes had a story. The picture's almost 10 years old (http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/dobos.asp).

They, too, debunk the cheerleader angle.

Futureweapons on The Military Channel had a story on the M134. Sounded like quite an upgrade over the original, with much improved reliability. 6,000 rounds per minute of 7.62 mm ammunition is quite a buzzsaw...

Tom
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

While we're clearing up myths, Churchill never said that, see:
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/

I initially searched for the source of that quote and found it at a site of mis-quotes. Perhaps that's why is included the qualifiers of miscellaneous and no date.

I appreciate the footer on a friend's signature: The internet: a million threads, a trillion lies. I try separate the wheat from the chaff before posting; the problem is the deluge of information that the internet now offers. One of the problems with the internet is lack of peer-review, or equally, peer bias. To quote Mark twain (look this up, I'm not going to): There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

So it is with battling websites of truth. I appreciate knowing the truth (not necessarily the "facts" as known facts do not always represent the truth) before ascribing words to another. However, I think this quote-sleuthing misses the point imparted by the above quotes, regardless of the exact terms or whomever said them: We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men (And women - FB) stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. Again, the truth is that my paraphrase of Michener is still valid musing. Where do we find such women? "Nowhere!"???? Au contraire! We do find such men and women!

That was the basic point of the beginning of this thread and it really does not matter whether she was a cheerleader, a goth, a nerd, or jock, or whatever. Whether by directing direct fire over open sights or whether processing travel vouchers, she is serving, and thus she does, directly or abstractly, protect us.

I will directly quote Eagle Squadron ace William R. Dunn:
Quoted Text

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things;the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

William R. Dunn. Fighter Pilot: The First American Ace of World War II. The University Press of Kentucky.
 _GOTOTOP