_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 Zvezda's Yakovlev YAK-3
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC
Zvezda will surely keep us busy at workbenches by the end of this year as they are going to release another 1:48 scale kit, this time of the Russian fighter Yakovlev Yak-3

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC
Always had a fancy for this plane, might have to add this one to the stash. Looks good.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi Michal

Wow! That looks a real beauty. I'll definitely grab one (or two)!

All the best

Rowan
ejasonk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thank You Zvezda !:)
Looks much better now than the Eduard one.

We also need a new Yak-9
tmccall
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 12:56 PM UTC
Our resident curmudgeon (G) should be along any minute to tell us what a complete waste of time, money and good plastic this kit is . . . I like it anyway . . . . in 3 . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . 1 . . . .. . . . . ..
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 09:25 PM UTC
Nothing wrong with the Eduard kit, Its one of the easyest and best fitting kits in 1/48. But I will be gettin this one aswell, the engine looks impressive. I would prefer if Zvezda would tak on a different subject, that is needed more urgently, like a 1/48 Po-2 or Il-28, Mig 17 or 19 or Su-25, You name it.
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing wrong with the Eduard kit

...except for the totally wrong shape of the fuselage .

Sergey.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 10:44 PM UTC
I never saw the real plane in person and I never saw the factory plans either. Im not an expert and I believe You could be right Sergey. When I look at he BW pictures, the Eduard kit looks preaty good to me. If Zvezda is better then good news for all of us. Given the 15 years difference between the two kits most of us would expect that it will.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sergey.

Hi Sergei,

I just wish Zvezda would provide a closed fuselage and separate parts for the all panels apart like in the pix ... hard to tell if the fuselage is any better or worse ***

Else I am a fan of the latest Zvezda 48 scale kits ....

so where is my Su-2!!!

all the best

Steffen

*** just meant as a little provocation
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hm, that is tempting for sure... I smell another superdetailing project in the air! Will probably grab several kits to use all the decals in the stash!!

Thanks for the news!

All the best,
Entoni
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:51 PM UTC
How's the fit on this kit, actually any Zvezda kit?
I havent tackled a Zvezda.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sergey.

Hi Sergei,

I just wish Zvezda would provide a closed fuselage and separate parts for the all panels apart like in the pix ... hard to tell if the fuselage is any better or worse ***

Steffen
;)

The idea that the Zvezda kit will repeat the silly tapering/tear-drop shape of the Eduard Yak-3 (from the firewall back, like the AM Yak-1, all due to wrong drawings) is borderline ludicrous when you consider the excellence of their La-5FNs and their Me-109Fs.

However, the cross-section of their early La-5's canopy seemed very odd to me (very, very wide and flat, much more so than the La-5FN, despite the fact they should be near identical?!?), so like everybody else they are not imune to errors...

I just don't think its realistic to expect them to dwell in the same depths as Tamiya's Il-2 and its 1/53 scale canopy...

Given the credit this maker has earned the hard way, it is much more reasonable to assume this new Yak-3 will be one of the best 1/48th WWII kits ever released.

You can even expect fit to be flawless and the engine panels to fit closed without trouble as well. Don't believe any of the stories that the La-5FN doesn't go together flawlessly. Their kits tend to be complex but sound.

Gaston
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing wrong with the Eduard kit, Its one of the easyest and best fitting kits in 1/48. But I will be gettin this one aswell, the engine looks impressive. I would prefer if Zvezda would tak on a different subject, that is needed more urgently, like a 1/48 Po-2 or Il-28, Mig 17 or 19 or Su-25, You name it.

You're right about other subjects being needed. Personally, I'd have appreciated a Yak-11, which was much more widely used (by twenty countries!) than the Yak-3. But of course I understand, trainers aren't everyone's cup of tea. You never can tell, though. Maybe we'll get that 1/48 "Moose" yet. How hard would it be for someone to produce one, if they're doing the Yak-3 already?
And about that Il-28 "Beagle", wow, how cool would that be in 1/48 scale? I can only hope to have one, in this lifetime. But investing in those big molds would be quite a gamble.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC
You may not be aware of this, but the Yak-3 is probably the most popular Russian fighter of them all: It is widely seen as the ultimate Soviet WWII fighter, the only one about which specific Luftwaffe instructions were supposedly issued "to avoid combat below 4 km with Yak fighters without an oil cooler below the nose".

I actually think it is a bit overrated, as it came into service very late, June 1944, not 1943 as often misquoted, and it didn't quite have the superior performance its stripped-down design would make one assume... It was very short-ranged and prone to structural failures in high speed hard maneuvers, and really only marginally better than the also lightweight family side Yak-1b that it was derived from (The Yak-7/9s being the "heavy" side of the Yak family).

Its smooth soap-bar appearance (which I like less than the the rest of the Yak family) makes it quite unique among all WWII fighters, and its close association with the Normandie-Niemen is a big plus to its popularity (compared to other VVS types).

I would have preferred a decent Pe-2 myself, but if you limit yourself to WWII fighters, there are few out there with more varied and more colourful schemes.

Gaston

As for there being nothing wrong with the Eduard kit, look here what it actually needed for any kind of accuracy in the fuselage:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_16224.html

Pretty hair raising, and way beyond my love of the subject...

G
AlexeySulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Omsk, Russia
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 02:42 AM UTC
Detailed photos of model kit (big size):

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC

The prop blades are not terrible but have too much taper near the tips: This is accentuated in the sprue image by the pitch of the prop blades, but other photos do confirm they are slightly too narrow near the tip if not overall.

The one-piece spinner/blades combo is very weird.

Gaston

P.S. Not related, but I can't wait for the Vector G-2 conversion for the Zvezda 109F...

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Detailed photos of model kit (big size):

Many thanks Alexey for sharing this stuff with us.
 _GOTOTOP