Hosted by Rowan Baylis
RAF ID Stripe color for the T Bolt II
Tbolter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
I am finishing up my 1/48 TBolt in 73rd OTU colors. My question is whether the fuselage stripe/band is in sky type S or duck egg blue. Also, scale wise how many centimeters would the stripe/band be on a 1/48 kit.
Cheers
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
I recommend you ask in P-47 Heaven where the experts, P-47 fans and general Thunderbolt geeks hang out
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
Sky "Type S" IS (or was) duck egg blue, except it's a pale green; I can hear your next question, but, believe me, you really don't want to ask it.
Edgar
andrewj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 08:38 PM UTC
As Edgar's already said , Sky Type S , Duck Egg Blue , and Duck Egg Green when referring to RAF colours are all one and the same. The colour you need is Sky, the Type S merely refers to the finish, [ S = smooth } ,many colours were supplied as Type S but for some reason only Sky seems to be regularly referred to with this suffix.
The tail band on RAF fighters was applied as an 18 inch stripe of Sky Type S encirling the rear fuselage , ahead of the tailplane. 18 inches in 1/48 is approximately 9mm.

Andrew
Tbolter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thank you gentlemen, just what I was looking for, and all done without starting anew thread on a subject that has been beaten to death. And yes Edgar, we will avoid asking "the next question"! BTW thanks again for the RAF T-Bolt article, it has been invaluable.
Cheers
Tbolter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC
Thanks Jessica. It is interesting to find that there is a female plastic modeler out there besides my 12 year old daughter (she built her first model, a 1/72 Corsair in Boyingtons livery when she was 9) who is becoming quite the expert. I shall ask Nigel on the P-47 site in future, but it is hard to beat Edgar for accurate info on WWII RAF stuff.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP