Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/72 J 26 Mustang
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
I know, I should finish my Focke-Wulfs but this doesn't seem to happen and it is better that I build a Mustang than nothing, isn't it? I picked up the new Airfix 1/72 Mustang last Friday and I intend to build it as a Swedish J 26. "Blue N" was one of a pair of D-Mustangs that were painted in traditional Swedish green and grey as an experiment, the rest of them (150+) remained in natural metal.

According to legend, "Blue N" was among the fastest Mustangs in the Air Force. The experimental paint scheme weathered badly and the aircraft soon got a quite beat-up appearance. Its regular pilot carefully kept it that way so that higher rank pilots should keep their hands off it!

Boxart: one marking alternative from "Tuskegee Airmen".

Plastic is very nice without being exceptional. This is not Hasegawa or Tamiya but it is still good and I am quite content with that!

A bit of glueing and fitting: parts fit well! There are two sets of flaps, one up and one down - and both of them fit very well! Something Hasegawa never has managed...

After a bit of painting...

Magnus
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 08:04 PM UTC

Hi Magnus,

nice little kit, I've built it twice now but still haven't worked out the best way to get the wings and fuselage together - fit is very tight and a little awkward. Be interested to see how you get on, do let us know..
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Neil! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take care when fitting the wings!

A bit more painting done...

Painted-on seat belts. Good enough I think!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 06:25 PM UTC
Wings snapped into place with a beautiful clicking sound! I would however advise potential builders to wait with the flaps until the wing is glued to the fuselage: it did need a bit of force to snap in place and I doubt I would have been able to remove it again if I had needed to adjust the fit...

Magnus
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi Magnus,
it's very good to see you back in business after some hiatus, few months I guess. It looks like nice and enjoyable build. I sit and watch your progress. It should turn out really interesting and definitely uncommon in green with blue-yellow Swedish "roundels".
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 07:54 AM UTC
Michal! Feels good to be back, I've done very little modelling over the summer.

If I hadn't been so tired tonight this one would have gotten a coat of primer. I opted for the prop decals instead! The cannon stubs have been removed and holes have been drilled to prepare for brass inserts instead.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
I am pretty fast when I finally get around to building...

After a coat of Tamiya Fine White the other day it got a coat of rattle-can Silver Leaf today...

...followed by a mix of Gunze clear and H309 green...

...with some zinc chromate (H58?) added to give a bit of a variation! Before the green coat I had added dots of Maskol to give the impression of flaking paint. A bit over the top in some areas, this will be corrected tonight - as will the walkway painted on the wrong wing root...

New blast tubes from Albion Alloys brass tubing.

Magnus
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
Nice progress here. Shading of green looks ok to and your got nice colours. You can also try to use a bit darker shade of base colour and spray it along the panel lines. Chipping is a it overdone (too large dots for me) in some places as you already pointed out but if you're going to rework it soon I'll wait for final effect.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 07:04 PM UTC
Michal! I'm not sure that the rework changed much of the appearance :-) ! I'll try to do a bit more while weathering later...

I am using decals from small Swedish manufacturer RBD decals. They are simply great to work with!

Lower surfaces are Gunze H306 with a drop of blue in. Maybe a bit dark... Not that you actually can see anything of it, wrong angle with the camera :-)

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
Finished! Looks a bit different from my usual style, I am not sure what I think about it myself...

The Airfix kit is an easy build and it fits well. I think however that I rather pay a bit of extra money and go for a Tamiya Mustang next time, the main reason for that would be the sharper detail of the Tamiya kit. But still: an enjoyable build and I am very glad that Airfix aim for the skies!

I have always been rather generous to my pilots when it comes to equipment: a K-14 "Ace Maker" sight from Quickboost was installed instead of the Airfix original...

The way the windscreen is installed makes it very hard to get a nice seam. I would be a liar if I told you that it looks better in real life...

The main canopy isn't done in the most clever of ways either: a separate lower frame (I HATE IT!). It was however possible to get a quite good joint using thinned white glue (thanks for the idea goes to Saxofon-Uffe, shipbuilder (and sax player!) par excellence!). If it had a pressure cabin I would be a bit worried though...

What I can say looks different in real life is the chipping: it looks a lot more restrained than in the photos!

Model has been added to the collection and now off I go towards new adventures! Stay tuned!

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP