_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 Spitfire XII by Special Hobby
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
Special Hobby is currently working on their new project which is 1:48 scale Spitfire Mk.XII.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Special Hobby is currently working on their new project which is 1:48 scale Spitfire Mk.XII.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Why on earth? when it is a Mk.XIV that is needed.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 06:53 AM UTC
Correct! Havn't they looked in the Airfix catalogue?
I can understand that everybody has a Vb or a IX in the program, but we have a great new XII on the market now. an other version would be better. I would also prefer a XIV.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 12:57 PM UTC

If their Mk V is any guide, with its wing trailing edge too far back by over 3 mm (vs canopy's rear edge), the one thing we need to pray for is for Special Hobby to stay away from the Mk XIV...

Quote, Andrewj:

"The Special hobby Seafire XV has several faults that appear to have been passed over by the reviewers, the wing is 3mm too far back on the fuselage, the fuselage is the correct depth at the rear edge of the canopy but tapers down too much on the topline ,to be too shallow at the tail joint by nearly 1.5mm giving an odd waisted look..."

Andrew

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=253527

All correct in spades...

Gaston
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 08:17 PM UTC
Strange things happens. Read through the criticism of the Special Hobby Seafire XVs. Correct, how they got the wing so wrong i s amystery. As to the length I just compared it to the Airfix Seafire XVII fuselage, and the difference is a fraction of a milimeter. The back part of the fuselage on the Soecial Hobby item is exactly (give and take o,2 mm) the same as Airfix's. So really a black out with the wings' position. But noway otherwise as bad as argued by Gaston.

I do not understand what the nose of a Mk.IX has to do with this. Different motor, different nose, and the Airfix and Special noses for the early griffon spits are very similar, although Airfix has probably got it more right in the way it curves.

Here no amateur fotos is of much help.

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange things happens. Read through the criticism of the Special Hobby Seafire XVs. Correct, how they got the wing so wrong i s amystery. As to the length I just compared it to the Airfix Seafire XVII fuselage, and the difference is a fraction of a milimeter. The back part of the fuselage on the Soecial Hobby item is exactly (give and take o,2 mm) the same as Airfix's. So really a black out with the wings' position. But noway otherwise as bad as argued by Gaston.

Here no amateur fotos is of much help.

I don't know what you mean by "not as bad" for the wing's rear edge position, since the claim that it is 3 mm off on the Special Hobby kit is not mine...

The position of the Special Hobby's wing trailing edge is fully midway into the fixed rear canopy portion (6 inches or more) when it should be barely 1 inch or two from this clear part's front, if not straight on it.... So that is quite noticeable... The Airfix Mk XII kit has the wing trailing edge falls about 4 inches into the rear fixed canopy portion: So it is wrong also, but the SH kit goes two or three inches beyond that...

As far as the tail goes, all Spitfire kits share spines that do not match the real thing, giving an overall tail-down attitude or a skinny tail near the fin, and this includes the Aeroclub correction fuselage and even the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire as far as I can see...

It also includes the otherwise potentially scale-leading ICM 1/48th kit overlaid here in the article linked below:

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/spitfireixckeltiemb_1.htm

Gaston
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
Gaston, this is elliptical wing. It depends very much of the angle of taking particular photography. It also depends a lot where do you see the root of the trailing edge. Taking your photo I drawn a simple line (I still can't believe I did it) and to my eyes it looks pretty much as on Special Hobby fuselage.

Anyay this discussion is pretty much pointless as SH is making absolutely new fuselage for Mk.XII and the Mk.V wing (published in my report) is used just as a base for Mk.XII wing.
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 08:10 PM UTC
But Michal,

my question still stands: Why a Mk.XII? The Airfix one is not difficult to get right, and it is quite new. Why not a Mk.XIV. Here we are really in need of a decent rendering.

I also wonder why this obsession with the Mk.XII? It was short lived, and built in small numbers, definitely a first try with a new motor.

NP

NP
andrewj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But Michal,

my question still stands: Why a Mk.XII? The Airfix one is not difficult to get right, and it is quite new. Why not a Mk.XIV. Here we are really in need of a decent rendering.

I also wonder why this obsession with the Mk.XII? It was short lived, and built in small numbers, definitely a first try with a new motor.

NP

NP

Presumably , because Special Hobby consider that a MkXII only needs a simple retool of the Seafire XV kit that they already have.

Andrew
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But Michal,

NP

NP

Presumably , because Special Hobby consider that a MkXII only needs a simple retool of the Seafire XV kit that they already have.

Andrew

True but still a vaste of money. It will hardly be cheaper than the Airfix version, and Michal indicated that it was a new fuselage.

NP
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But Michal,

NP

NP

actually, if you ask me, the airfix mk. XII is not very good. I recently dumped the kit on ebay because i decided I would rather wait and see if special hobby decided to do one.

the special hobby spitfires are very good in my book.

as for the airfix kit - panel lines are trenches, plastic had rough texture and the fuselage behind the wings is WAY too deep compared to pretty much any other spitfire kit worth beans. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to source the wings to the Aeroclub fuselage to make a XIV, but i came to the conclusion they weren't high enough quality to spend that kind of effort.

I, for one, am ecstatic that special hobby is doing a VII, and I hope the go for a XIV please and thank you very much. I think they, of all the kit makers currently going, have the highest chance of getting a VIX done in a passable manner.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gaston, this is elliptical wing. It depends very much of the angle of taking particular photography. It also depends a lot where do you see the root of the trailing edge. Taking your photo I drawn a simple line (I still can't believe I did it) and to my eyes it looks pretty much as on Special Hobby fuselage.

Anyay this discussion is pretty much pointless as SH is making absolutely new fuselage for Mk.XII and the Mk.V wing (published in my report) is used just as a base for Mk.XII wing.

I for one very much approve of the special hobby spitfire kits.

I do, unfortunately, have to agree with Gaston (ACK!) that tamiya and special hobby get their wing-trailing-edge and front-of-rear-canopy line off by about 2mm (saying 3mm is pushing it a bit). Hasegawa gets this feature about perfect.

HOWEVER, to see the difference, I literally have to very carefully line up, side by side, a hasegawa fuselage half to a special hobby one and then look from certain specific angles and cross compare a couple times to really notice it.

the error is SMALL in an area of compound angles that are, on the large scale we can actually notice, quite well reproduced over all.

I've variously done sculpture, CAD drawings, and been a quality assurance engineer in my education and careers, and I can legitemitly claim to have a skeptical eye. I can attest that, taking into account the difficulty of reproducing an area like that, special hobby did an admirable job. Yes, it would be great if they would clean it up in future fuselages, but the misalignment of the trailing edge to the canopy is a MINOR error in an otherwise excellent scale rendition of the spitfire.

NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But Michal,

NP

NP

actually, if you ask me, the airfix mk. XII is not very good. I recently dumped the kit on ebay because i decided I would rather wait and see if special hobby decided to do one.

the special hobby spitfires are very good in my book.

as for the airfix kit - panel lines are trenches, plastic had rough texture and the fuselage behind the wings is WAY too deep compared to pretty much any other spitfire kit worth beans. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to source the wings to the Aeroclub fuselage to make a XIV, but i came to the conclusion they weren't high enough quality to spend that kind of effort.

I, for one, am ecstatic that special hobby is doing a VII, and I hope the go for a XIV please and thank you very much. I think they, of all the kit makers currently going, have the highest chance of getting a VIX done in a passable manner.

Sorry, to say that the Airfix XII is not very good is much too easy. In which way is it not good enough? I have seen other discussions here, e.g., about the supposed short nose which is, however, absolutely OK, as the XII was shorter than the IX. Edgar came in here.

But when such a general statement is offered, people should be more specific about what is wrong. Because the Airfix XII is not perfect (don't like the Matchbox-like trenches).

NPL
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, to say that the Airfix XII is not very good is much too easy. In which way is it not good enough? I have seen other discussions here, e.g., about the supposed short nose which is, however, absolutely OK, as the XII was shorter than the IX. Edgar came in here.

But when such a general statement is offered, people should be more specific about what is wrong. Because the Airfix XII is not perfect (don't like the Matchbox-like trenches).

NPL

read it again - I summarize how it doesn't hold up further on in the post:

Quoted Text

panel lines are trenches, plastic had rough texture and the fuselage behind the wings is WAY too deep compared to pretty much any other spitfire kit worth beans. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to source the wings to the Aeroclub fuselage to make a XIV, but i came to the conclusion they weren't high enough quality to spend that kind of effort.

Also, I again agree with Gaston (sigh) that the airfix XII nose shape is suspicious, but that wasn't obvious till special hobby put out their seafire XV. Special hobby totally nailed the 'look' of it on the seafire mk XV compared the airfix mk XII nose, which should be similar save for the bump fairing on forward top of the XII nose. Instead, the line of thrust is quite different and as a result the nose dips too much. I do not think the seafire XV nose was any different in overall shape than the XII nose (though I admit only having done minimal research on this). If someone finds evidence the nose from the seafire XV were in fact re-enginered from the spitfire XII and that the thrust line was raised some 5-10cm, then I retract my statement about the nose shape of the airfix kit.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

NPL

Quoted Text

panel lines are trenches, plastic had rough texture and the fuselage behind the wings is WAY too deep compared to pretty much any other spitfire kit worth beans. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to source the wings to the Aeroclub fuselage to make a XIV, but i came to the conclusion they weren't high enough quality to spend that kind of effort.

Also, I again agree with Gaston (sigh) that the airfix XII nose shape is suspicious, but that wasn't obvious till special hobby put out their seafire XV. Special hobby totally nailed the 'look' of it on the seafire mk XV compared the airfix mk XII nose, which should be similar save for the bump fairing on forward top of the XII nose. Instead, the line of thrust is quite different and as a result the nose dips too much. I do not think the seafire XV nose was any different in overall shape than the XII nose (though I admit only having done minimal research on this). If someone finds evidence the nose from the seafire XV were in fact re-enginered from the spitfire XII and that the thrust line was raised some 5-10cm, then I retract my statement about the nose shape of the airfix kit.

Also the overhead profile of the wing fillets (which are the kit's wing joints) are a fair bit different than all the other kits. I have no idea which is actually correct (but i'll vote with the majority), but it does make the airfix kit odd-man out and makes it very difficult to use it for kit bashing - so it was not useful for me in that regard either.

But I guess I am giving up on kitbashing a spitfire mk XIV anyway - given the rate of spitfire kits in the last 5 years or so, someone will release on in the next few years

anyway, sorry, this isn't a thread about the airfix kit.

All I was TRYING to say is the Special Hobby spitfires are about as good as spitfire kits get, so I am quite happy to see a mk XII from them.
andrewj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

NPL

Quoted Text

[/quote

The thrust line of the Airfix Mk XII and Mk XVII are spot on and also exactly match that of the Aeroclub MkXVII conversion. It is the Special hobby kit that is wrong , with insufficent downthrust, both John Adams and Edgar Brooks have confirmed this , indeed I believe Edgar has measured the MkXVII preserved at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. This combined with the errors in the wing position and the "skinny tail" , in my opinion make the Airfix kits a much better bet. I'd rather sand a little off the depth of the Airfix fuselage than try to correct the SH kit's faults.

Andrew
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
different strokes for different folkes. I personally thought the Airfix kit was crude and wasn't worth the $24 i spent on it and recovered some of that cost by selling it to someone who liked it better on Ebay. I tihnk the special hobby kits are almost worth their higher price.

FYI, I made a large part of my judgement against the airfix kit with the aeroclub fuselage in hand for direct comparison, and airfix didn't stand up. Discounting the nose (the aeroclub fuselage i have is a mk XIV) the rest just didn't line up. As i said, I sold my airfix kit so I can't re-compare anymore, but i do know i am not interested in buying another after trying for quite a while to convince myself to like it and failing.

another FYI, i can easily see (while holding both in my hand at this very moment) that the fuselages, from the back edge of the canopy and rearwards, are IDENTICAL in length, height, and width between special hobby and Aeroclub - so either they are both vastly wrong and airfix is right and just happens to look really wrong, or there is some serious disinformation out there about the special hobby about them being too skinny in the tail.

yes, the wing is too far back by a couple milimeters, and the aeroclub fuselage is markedly better because of this (but unfortunately not particularly available), but otherwise special hobby spifires look way more like aeroclub's than that from airfix does to me.

maybe I am blind and my sense of touch has gone way off, but hearing someone say special hobby and aeroclub don't look nearly the same rearwards of the cockpit makes me question my sanity.

Also, was the thrust line changed between the mk XII and XIV? this is info i briefly searched for once but never found before giving up. and yes, i know the nose is longer, but did the thrust line stay the same or change? if it didn't change, then special hobby has it correct compared to aeroclub as well. IF the thrust line was lower on the XII than the XIV, then yes, Airfix is probably correct.

kinda wish i hadn't sold that now so i could post pics. but all this shouldn't be in the announcement post for a new kit - sorry.

if there is enough demand, i can take some pics showing how well the special hobby kits compares to aeroclub and start a new thread, but i really don't care enough to just start one on my own - someone needs to buy the airfix kits and i don't really want more competition for deals on the special hobby kits on ebay, so I am not motivated to just start a separate thread on it.

so yeah - thumbs up for this special hobby release!! woohoo! I'll build it even if other people won't!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC
Ha! turns out a friend has an Aeroclub mk. XII fuselage.

sorry to say, but the special hobby and aeroclub fuselages for the mk XII are nearly identical save for the wing roots being too far back on the SH.

I did just shoot some pics to prove it, but can't find the right USB cable right now.

anyway, I am convinced the special hobby seafire XV nose, thrust line, rear fuselage, etc is all in reasonably good agreement with aeroclub. I know airfix in special hobby did not agree at all. Ergo either airfix is wrong or aeroclub is. take your pick. will post a pic showing how good the SH/Aeroclub comparison is as soon as I sort my technical difficulties since it is actually kinda relevant to this special hobby release this thread is about.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC
Here are some pics to back up what I am talking about.

light gray fuselage = Aeroclub Spitfire mk. XII
darker gray fuselage = Special Hobby Seafire mk. XV

This overhead shot shows fairly good overall agreement between the two, with SH being 1 mm short in the tail and having the wing roots about 2 mm too far to the rear:

Side shot with Aeroclub in front shows excellent agreement, the SH fuselage being a hair too thick (but totally acceptable) above and below in the aft fuselage and the tail being about 1 mm further forward:

Other side:

Off-axis view reveals excellent agreement in thrust line height and angle along with overall nose shape:

Close-up of nose off-axis show a trivial difference in the diameter of the far forward nose:

Off-axis shot of fuselage bottom for completeness:

Thus, if we take the Aeroscale as accurate (which most people agree on, though I have heard people disagree), then clearly the only real problem with the Special Hobby kit is the wing root positioning, and to a lesser extent the tail is hair too far forward.

I can totally live with both, but it WOULD be nice if that wing positioning error was corrected. Not holding my breath on that correction coming with the XII release (which I will totally buy), but maybe for some future XIV???
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I for one very much approve of the special hobby spitfire kits.

I do, unfortunately, have to agree with Gaston (ACK!) that tamiya and special hobby get their wing-trailing-edge and front-of-rear-canopy line off by about 2mm (saying 3mm is pushing it a bit). Hasegawa gets this feature about perfect.

HOWEVER, to see the difference, I literally have to very carefully line up, side by side, a hasegawa fuselage half to a special hobby one and then look from certain specific angles and cross compare a couple times to really notice it.

the error is SMALL in an area of compound angles that are, on the large scale we can actually notice, quite well reproduced over all.

I've variously done sculpture, CAD drawings, and been a quality assurance engineer in my education and careers, and I can legitemitly claim to have a skeptical eye. I can attest that, taking into account the difficulty of reproducing an area like that, special hobby did an admirable job. Yes, it would be great if they would clean it up in future fuselages, but the misalignment of the trailing edge to the canopy is a MINOR error in an otherwise excellent scale rendition of the spitfire.

Interesting thing to know that the Special Hobby is not that different from the Airfix Mk XII in rear trailing edge position versus the front of the rear canopy part. The Airfix is about 2 mm into it also. I figure that on the actual aircraft the position is about 1 mm, maybe slightly more maybe less, into this part: This means my Airfix model will be wrong in this aspect by near 1 mm which does bother me, but in the end I have to agree it does not have a huge impact on the model's overall appearance, maybe more so with an open canopy...

However 3 mm would have been a completely different matter, and absolutely crossing the line for me on this issue. So if the Special Hobby kit doesn't, it is actually a big difference.

Bearing in mind the ICM/actual overlay I posted above, I wonder how well the Special Hobby Mk V's spine overlays, or if it share a similar wrong spine slope to ICM (as do most if not all other Spitfires including the Aeroclub fuselage and Tamiya's 1/32 kit). I fixed the spine and tail depth issue on the Airfix but it was extremely laborious...

The Tamiya Mark V nose is also said to be 1 mm too wide, while the ICM kit is said to be 1 mm too narrow: A big deal in itself because, unlike the rear canopy part/trailing edge position, it affects a large section of the model and is thus visible from many angles...

The Airfix Mk XII has the correct length, nice wings and a nice windshield, but that's about it... Its nose issues can be roughly gauged on my corrected nose here...:

No 1/48th scale Spitfire replicates the leading edge "washout" as well, which I consider an absolutely essential feature for Spitfires, with that painted leading edge yellow on most schemes... It is not as easy as you might think to get this correct and symmetrical by carving into the kit's leading edge, as the painted thin yellow leading edge will underline any discrepancy viciously...

Gaston

NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
the nose has been discussed before. It is the Special Hobby nose which is not curving enough. There are excellent plans, in the MAP series and elsewhere (by some of the top people, including Klint). Edgar also pointed out before that Airfix actually had people measuring early Griffons.

NPL
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the nose has been discussed before. It is the Special Hobby nose which is not curving enough. There are excellent plans, in the MAP series and elsewhere (by some of the top people, including Klint). Edgar also pointed out before that Airfix actually had people measuring early Griffons.

NPL

and i've reopened the topic because i see a serious disconnect between what people are saying on the internet and what I see in my own hands with my own eyes.

I don't get it. maybe my airfix kit was badly heat warped in multiple dimensions or something, but i doubt it. It didn't look at all the part to me, but other people think it is awesome, so whatever.

We all seem to agree the airfix XII nose and the special hobby nose don't agree, yes? Someone earlier stated that the airfix nose and highly lauded aeroclub nose agree:

Quoted Text

The thrust line of the Airfix Mk XII and Mk XVII are spot on and also exactly match that of the Aeroclub MkXVII conversion

I have clearly shown a couple posts above that the aeroclub XII nose (presumably identical the their XVII nose) and the special hobby XII nose (and most the fuselage except the ring roots) are pretty much identical except for trivial discrepancies.

the only conclusions are that either aeroclub is as wrong as people claim the special hobby nose is, or airfix has it wrong - it can't be both ways unless the airfix nose matches the special hobby nose too, which we all agree it does not. both aeroclub and airfix supposedly measured real aircraft. there is, of course, a lot that can go wrong between taking measurements and getting a reproduction correct.

one other point: the XVII has the cutdown rear. in my experience makes it really difficult to determine alignment with the normal spined spitfires - my bet it that is where the misconceptions have crept in - trying to compare two different body styles. previously I pointed out the too thick belly of the airfix XII - if you line up the bottom on an aeroclub XVII with and airfix XII, I bet you (incorrectly) get that lower thrust line that is supposedly accurate.

regardless, I think the aeroclub XII and special hobby XII noses (and the rest of the fuselage) look better than airfix's XII. other people prefer airfix, but i for one am glad special hobby is doing a mk XII because i think it'll be better.

my underlying point, after much distraction, is some people DO think there is a reasonable need for another mk XII - thank you special hobby for making a go of it.

still would have preferred a XIV tho...
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:29 PM UTC
The real problem with Airfix's XII is that it is a bit fat towards the end. I suppose about one mm. The discrepancy between the various noses is minimal. At the end SH and Airfix end in the same place. The curve is different.

Because SH has already sone the naval version of the early Griffon, it is a piece of cake to make a XII. But then we will have a XII based on the XV, including the problems with the wing.

The XIV is a different game, and I would be surprised if we are going to see anything here in the near future (but would love to be wrong).

NPL
NPLemche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:36 PM UTC
The previous discussion (quite heated) can be found here:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/171313

I notes Egar Brooks' reply.

NPL
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 08:56 PM UTC
1/. The Airfix XII rear fuselage is WAY too deep by one whole millimetre (this has been found by checking it against Supermarine's published dimensions on their fuselage former drawings.)
2/. ANY panel lines (apart from openable/removable compartment covers,) on a Spitfire, will be "grossly overscale," since the Spitfire was constructed of overlaid (not butt-jointed) panels, averaging .75mm, which, scaled down to 1/48, would have a thickness less than tissue paper. Have those disappear beneath a coat of paint, and listen for the uproar.
3/. The Griffon introduced a couple of degrees of downthrust, compared to the Merlin, so the line of the cowling has to sweep down at a greater angle.
4/. The spine, of the Spitfire, is curved ("humped," if you like.) Anyone, who disagrees with this, should go to a museum, stand with eyes level with the tailplane, and look along the spine.
5/, It is impossible to see the top of the spine, and the bottom of the keel, at the same time, unless you move about 1/4 mile away from the Spitfire, and look at it through binoculars. The formers flatten, slightly, at the extremities, and do not come to a point, otherwise the metal covering would be put under intolerable strain, at those points, and be liable to fracture. This is why using photographs, to judge dimensions, is an exercise in futility.
6/. The rearmost point of the trailing edge of the wing, does NOT line up with the front edge of the rear perspex cover (nor should it.) It lines up with a couple of stub spars, attached to the rear of the seat bulkhead, which is, itself, already under the perspex.
 _GOTOTOP