_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Italeri 1/48 C-130 differences?
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 02:02 AM UTC
I have an Italeri C-130H kit #843. I've read various reports that they didn't change things between this kit and their C-130E. So my question is, can this kit be built as a straight -E or -H from the box?

Thanks for any guidance!

Michael
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hello Micheal, I guess this answer probably comes a bit late to be of use to you now. Also, I have to say I am not familiar with the Italeri kit.
Be that as it may, I have been doing some reading about the C-130 and I can say that there is practically no external difference between the E, F, G, H and K models, aside from underwing stores, which also vary within model groups over time. The one exception to that is that the H model introduced a new Auxiliary power engine in the right pant leg ahead of the wheelwell, so an air intake appears for that on some but not all C-130H aircraft.
It is clearly visible on this UAE example.

The kit options on the decal sheet will dictate which model it may be, strictly "out of the box". Given other decal options it could be any of the models listed above.
Hope this is helpful.
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 12:59 AM UTC
Most H's had the ram air air conditioners shown in the picture. The little one in the front was the crew compartment a/c unit, and the large ram air opening on the right side (when looking from the rear)wheel well was for the cargo compartment. These were both aerodynamic units (receased) on the E. The early H's (H-1's) had the same GTC as the E model, but the went to the APU on the H-2's. Those were the main external differences. The engines were the real difference, but they look the same in the QEC's.
I worked on the Herk for 11 years as an engine mechanic, and really miss the plane (working 135's now).
Troy

_GOTOTOP