_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
REVIEW
1/48 Viggen Engine & Tail Section
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
The only 1/48 scale Saab Viggen is produced by ESCI and Airfix. It''s not without some accuracy issues, so Maestro Models have been on a mission to produce improvement parts for the kit, which shares the same mould. This new release focuses on the tail end of the Viggen.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
Undoubtably nice details and casting quality but given it's intended for the ESCI/Airfix rebox 1/48 kit, £20.00 is a lot of money to pay for trying to "polish a t**d " of a kit.

What is really needed is a completely new tool 1/48 Viggen kit.

Trumpeter? Hasegawa? ....any takers?

Gary
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is really needed is a completely new tool 1/48 Viggen kit.

Trumpeter? Hasegawa? ....any takers?

As a matter of fact, there is!!! The new Swedish kit maker Tarangus has announced that the JA37 Viggen vill be their next subject!

http://www.tarangus.se/

Cheers / PolarBear
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
okay, I'm just weighing in on this one because this touches on something that really urks the living h**l out of me.

We have a brand new model company starting up with a really interesting subject, one that I would be very interested in doing. This is great! New company to help keep the hobby strong, great subject to attract a lot of buyers, which in turn help keep the company going so they can produce more kits, and so on and so on....

Now comes the problem. Tarangus calls their new Sa A37A Lansen a "limited run" kit. How "limited" I don't know, they haven't said at their website (which is excellent by the way).
So far the only place I found the kit is Sprue Bros. with a sale price of $97.99, retail $115.00. In today's economy this is an outrageous price. From what I have learned about economics and from reading Tom Cleaver's article on Modeling Madness, the price of a kit is directly proportional to the amount of kits produced. For example, a kit that has, say 5,000 units made has to sell for x amount to cover design and production costs + profit to keep the company solvent, however, if 10,000 units are popped then, theoretically, each kit should sell for half of x.
So here is the thing, not only can I not afford to buy a Lansen, I wouldn't even want to at $100.00. Especially for a small 1/48 2 seat aircraft that only has 80 parts. The other thing is at $100.00 per unit, Sprue Bros will 11 of it's 12 current units in stock 4 months from now. Good bye Tarangus, we hardly knew ye. And that is the saddest part. This company had a good idea, but they short runned and over priced themselves right out of business ( I hope I am wrong but...)
Later
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 12:54 PM UTC
Good looking aircraft but I'm with B over priced I will wait and one day nab one for cheaper if not oh we'll I will super detail one of the other ones
 _GOTOTOP