_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 P-61A "Moonhappy"
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
Guido Hopp brings us news that GWH have redesigned a number of areas in the new version of their quarterscale P-61A Black Widow.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:42 AM UTC
I want one how do you know which one is the updated one to order?
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC
That's a wonderful response from GW- cheers, fellas! I'm tempted to get one of these now. Then there's the Eduard stuff, too... ;D

chuk
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
Justin-
The new kit will be issued under item no. L4806 as opposed to the L4802 of the first production run. Please mind that the L4806 will have the top turret included, as well. I have reason to believe that the improved parts will replace the older parts as new production runs of L4802 (without turret) will be implemented. However that is future tense, as the first run of L4802 is far from being sold out.
Thank you for your interest in the kit!
Cheers,
Guido
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC

This is really great news and no one will be able to say now the Monogram kit is still a better choice...

The most serious remaining issue is that of the kit's nose cone being too deep and too square at the front: For those who care, this is not a big problem. I really applaud the rear glass correction as well, as I might use it... A good quality P-61 will now probably be within the easy reach of anyone...

It is great to see that a less cheerleading review is all it took to change things: Whoever said rivet-counting complaints don't achieve anything? Many thanks to Jean-Luc for his review.

Gaston

P.S. I will still try to get Jean-Luc another canopy, vacu-formed this time and hopefully in one piece, as I could not smash-mould a second complete canopy on my own so far, owing the difficult shapes...

G.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really great news...

I totally agree, I haven't taken the plunge with a GWH kit yet due mainly to the pricing, not to mention the small pile of Revell/Monogram kits in my cupboard, but once this version hits the shelves I might just have to reconsider !

Quoted Text

and no one will be able to say now the Monogram kit is still a better choice...

"The Monogram kit is still a better choice..."

There, I said it, 'cos now I can pick one up for $15 from most swapmeets and they look just like a P-61 ! What makes a kit a better choice certainly doesn't always come down to engraved panel lines or canopy detail and fit.

Big kudos to GWH for paying attention to and responding to their consumers in such a short time frame, very refreshing to see such an attitude from a manufacturer.

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
I like it ! I like it a lot

Big thumbs up too GWH !
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 01:13 PM UTC
I held off on the first release hoping they would come out with this, it's really nice to see it finally being released.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
I surely get one as soon as my dealer has the kit in stock! The price here should be around 60 Euros ....
I always wanted an OD/NG Widow with turret and glas nose as I have built both possible versions out of the Monogram kit. Some of you might remember seeing my "Lady Gen" and "The Spook" from the Twin Boom Campaign in 2010. Both thumbs up for GWH!
Guido, is "Moonhappy" the only decal version in the kit? Not that I'm not fully happy with "Moonhappy"!
The only question is, where to put all the weight not to make it a tailsitter? There might be some space behind the engines but that won't be enough. Oh, and btw, the glas nose should be like milk glas (semi transparent) and not clear. Easy to solve with sanding paper .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 10:16 AM UTC
I guess this kit isn't "fatally flawed" any more.

Well done to GWH on listening to the reviews and feedback.

I agree with Damian about the Monogram kits too. For the price of this kit, you could three or four Monogram kits and end up with some very nice P-61 models on your shelf. Not everyone can afford to throw money on the latest and greatest kits.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 07:01 PM UTC
Torsten-
There will be a NG version included. You can see it on the top of the box picture. However I have no idea which particular plane will be covered at this time.
Cheers,
Guido

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC
I heard, the other version would be "The Virgin Widow", which is not really interesting for me as I have a black Black Widow with turret. Okay, I have also a OD/NG P-61 but not with turret and not with clear nose. I am happy with "Moonhappy" .....

Moonhappy modelling!
Torsten

PS. The name "Moonhappy" fits really to this nightfighter, but the reason for this name is simply the names of the crew:
R/O Raymond Mooney, pilot Dale "Hap" Haberman and the aircraft survived the war with 4 kills. There's a nice photo of the aircraft and crew in Osprey's "P-61 units ...."
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the Background info!
If you could choose, which NG plane with turret would you like to see?
Guido
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Do you mean Olive Drab/Neutral Grey or do you mean Black, Guido?
If you mean Black, I have my ... no, THE black Black Widow here at home resting on the shelf, catching dust. Or does anyone of you think, "The Spook/Anonymus III" is not the one and only .... I guess, this P-61 (in my avatar) has the most striking nose arts of all Widows. Okay, no kills and crash landed in Iwo Jima on 20. April 1945 and not surving the war is the other side of the medal
But if you mean OD/NG, the choice GWH give us is really fine for me. As I said before, I'm happy with "Moonhappy". Not that there are some other great nose arts around. But this will be my third P-61 and they are huge birds in 1/48. It's also a matter of space.
Below is the photo I just mentioned, where you can (also) see the semi-transparent glas nose (source: Osprey Publishing)

Moonhappy modelling!
Torsten

KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
BTW look, at this picture pilot's canopy panel removed

and here replaced with black one.

Sergey.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 06:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the pointers. Of cause I was thinking of a black plane not NG.
Cheers,
Guido
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 07:31 PM UTC
Gentlemen-
I just got the new that the second decal version in the new package will be "The Virgin Widow".
Cheers,
Guido
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen-
I just got the new that the second decal version in the new package will be "The Virgin Widow".
Cheers,
Guido

This one?
 _GOTOTOP