_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
going back to my roots !!
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
having turned 47 this year it dawned on me that i have hit the 40 yrs mark in modelling ..

to mark this i thaught it would be good to build my first ever kit build but with 40 yrs experience behind me

well it should be better !! ( hmmm...not necessarily so !! ) although i do remember my first effort being a ball of plastic glue and olive drab paint

so i have a fighting chance at least

first difrence is the 40 yrs difrence of packaging ( the kit is still the same ) ironicly the kit was also released in my birth year 1964

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
The price has changed a bit too

I too built this kit, I remember loving the shark mouth and the desert camouflage. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it now
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 12:03 PM UTC
I never built that one, my first was a Starfire, but I have no idea who made it. I think the first one I remember manufacturer as well as type was the Airfix Avro Anson, with lots of glue on the cabin windows. I still like the aircraft. That kit was still available recently. Another early one was the Airfix DH88 Comet "Grosvenor House". I built that again a couple of years ago and another this year as Airfix released "Black Magic". The kit has not changed much, it is still lacking all detail and the mould quality is diabolical, but I'll still build G-ACSR if they release it. I have been modelling about 48 years and despite Airfix often lacking quality and detail I'll always thank them for getting me started.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:01 PM UTC
The first aircraft kit I built was an Airfix Stirling in 1/72 scale, I was about 10 and built it with my father (who usually built trucks). I remember it vividly, with the tractor hauling its bomb trailers, and I had hours of fun building it and playing with it. I think it was moulded in black plastic and we just decalled it without painting.
In a strange coincidence I found this kit a couple of weeks ago while shopping for christmas presents for my kids, and I'm tempted to go back and buy it now to take that trip back in time, but this time with MY 9 year old boy.

Cheers, D
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC
part 1 http://youtu.be/tADmk5iXNCc
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 10:42 AM UTC
part 2 http://youtu.be/u-hBU3CRkdo
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 11:39 PM UTC
almost to painting stage a little more small filling jobs and preps and it will be out with the airbrush cannopy is already masked

tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
calling it a day on this one , broke the landing gear whilst instaling !! so may post completed job when new parts are ordered

_GOTOTOP