_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Black Buck One WIP
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi All

Thought you'd got rid of me? Afraid not!

Well. Here it is after about two years of contemplating about this project, "Black Buck One". This is a project I came up with the idea for about two or more years ago but I had to work out the system for mounting the aircraft to enable save transportation and storage.

The kits are the Airfix Vulcan from the Falklands War 25th Anniversary set and the Victor is the Revell one. Don't you need to do some filling and sanding on this models, the gaps and sink marks are bad. I plan to use the decals from the Matchbox Victor on this, as it is dated 1982 scheme on the instructions, or I might get some aftermarket ones. So here is the first photo of the aircraft's newly mounted on the base. Sorry about the quality of the photo, but I just took it quickly on my phone.

Mick

NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
Can't wait to see the Victor, Finished

Cheers Nick
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi All

Well, I've done a little more work on these. But their getting a bit too big for me to take to work with me now. So all future work will be carried out at home. Both of the wings are fitted to the Victor now, but there is a little issue with one of the wings. After it was glued into position, the upper section by the turbine part inside the wing started to crack and split. The other side is okay, just this one side that it's happened on. I think the plastic must be thinner on this area of the upper panel and the weight of the whole wing caused it to fail once it was glued to the fuselage. So some repair and filling required on her. At least I'll know to look out for this on my other two Victors.

Mind you, there is quite a bit of filling to do on both of these aircraft. So here's some new photos I took the other evening.

Mick

raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
I want to see this finished! The Victor is so cool, it has such a surreal quality to it, especially contrasted against the Vulcan which seems so practical.
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
Looking good so far mate.

Really keen to see how this one turns out, like the others here there is some sort of "special" quality to the V bombers I guess they are that romantic bridge between the heroes of WW2 like the Halifax and Lancaster and the modern age.

Australia actually operated a Valiant and a Vulcan at one stage, I've always had a mind to do an Aussie version of one.

I was sad to see them retire.
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far mate.

Really keen to see how this one turns out, like the others here there is some sort of "special" quality to the V bombers I guess they are that romantic bridge between the heroes of WW2 like the Halifax and Lancaster and the modern age.

Australia actually operated a Valiant and a Vulcan at one stage, I've always had a mind to do an Aussie version of one.

I was sad to see them retire.

We are lucky to have a Vulcan still flying over here. I saw it fly over IWM Duxford a couple of years ago. Last year a few of us went up to Newark AM on a club jolly and we were able to climb up into their Vulcan's cockpit and all over the inside of their Shackleton MR3.
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
This is great, really nice to see. I'm very interested in the finished shots and what everything will look like when it's done.

I swear I'm looking at a 'Thunderbirds' episode when I see the head-on view of the Victor with the Vulcan training behind in your last pic....VERY cool!!

Bob
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is great, really nice to see. I'm very interested in the finished shots and what everything will look like when it's done.

I swear I'm looking at a 'Thunderbirds' episode when I see the head-on view of the Victor with the Vulcan training behind in your last pic....VERY cool!!

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for your comment.

Last night I picked up another Vulcan to go with my fleet of V Bombers. Also in the haul was a Revell B-17G and a Hasegawa 1/32nd scale P-47M Thuderbolt. The temptation was just too much for me!!!!
bmikk1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
Very impressive display! As cool as this looks now, I cannot wait to see the finished product!
 _GOTOTOP