_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Nieuport 24 bis
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC

Roden has stepped up with a 1:32 scale fighter version of the French Nieuport 24bis. This type was in multiple air services assigned to either trainer or fighter roles in 1917-1920. This kit has an excellent interior for this scale. This would be a good place to predrill all strut and rigging holes.

Link to item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
Stephen,
This kit Looks Lovely! Any comments on the apparent bending of the plastic seat back? Sorry if I missed this in the review! All in all providing quality control is up to standards this looks like a winner to me!
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:08 PM UTC
Its actually something I am working on while I write this.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:10 PM UTC
Reading your review Stephen I have to say this is becoming more tempting.

Great review I would like to add, dispelled a few of my worries about Roden's standards and I accept the tripe was a hiccup.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
Greetings Keith,

I tend to agree with you. While most problems can be dealt with its great to have a model company like Roden who listens. They provided some great kits for our GB of their products a couple of years ago (gratis) and have always been there for us. Like several other manufacturers that look in on us from time to time, Roden listens to our praises and our gripes.

They have provided replacement decals to just about anybody with a legitimate gripe. (Case in point Mark Hamrick's recent build of their 1:72 Nieuport 24). While I could easily praise most of our genre's manufacturers, Roden gets top marks for responses to their customers. It seems as long as we continue to support them they will be there for us.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 07:30 PM UTC
Stephen greetings,

I just would like to add that we sometimes forget too that they dont have the resources and facilties enjoyed by other manufacturors. It's all to easy to forget these facts and that Roden did reignite an interest in WW1 era aircraft and compare one on one with other better equipped companies.

Also as you know, my scale of choice is 1/32nd, without Roden I don't feel I would have been given the opportunity to build WNW's kits had they not set the cornerstone first.

I'm very happy to see they didn't throw the towel in and drop 1/32 kits as I feared they may.

Model on all
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen,
This kit Looks Lovely! Any comments on the apparent bending of the plastic seat back? Sorry if I missed this in the review! All in all providing quality control is up to standards this looks like a winner to me!
RAGIII

Ok its going to be a bit challenging but using the handle of my trusty Xacto knife here is what I came up with.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
The fit is generally good.

The gap here is easily closed by pinching the fuselage halves together then applying the glue.

I added a false bottom to the interior fuselage so the seam won't be seen after closing up the halves.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Stephen – many thanks for the review and the hands on dryfit – very useful. I think this kit is looking very good, and will get one at some point.

I have quite a few Nie's now, built and unbuilt – and although they are not my favourite subject – this kit, and the others I have will make a pretty "complete" lineup of some of the most important types they produced – the 11, 16, 17, 23, 24 and 28.

Mikael
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 09:58 PM UTC
I am waiting to see how the decals go.. My last two Roden build's decals have been rubbish.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Greetings Warren,

The problem your facing is one that many older modelers over came with using a clear coat. It is important that the decals be dry to the touch but used within 12 hours. Spray them on the sheet / paper. Cut them out individually and use a set & sol and then when dry clear coat the whole area.
PiotrM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hello Stephen,

I have one comment to review this model, about the Polish markings:

1. The Diana was painted at RH only.
The arrow have feathers and flame at head.
2. At left side winged dragon was painted - not Diana!

So for Polish marking I recommend better research...

Best regards,

Piotr
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Greetings PiotrM,

You are right in that the pilot's left side of the aircraft has not been published widely. Do you have an image you could provide us? Or a source where we could find the image publicly?

Here is the side that Piotr contends had a dragon on it instead of the "Diana" insignia.

(This is a 1:48 version from my Feature on Nieuports. It is the old High-Tech kit with the Chandelle "Diana" decals.)

By the way the Sworl decals are on the kit and I am ready to do the rigging. I'll post the images when done. Sorry folks this is Piotr at Mirage - hobby.
PiotrM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hello Stephen,

This is question for Russians, because this personal badges primary belonged to the Soviet Red Airmen or even earliest(?) - to Russian...

Three Nieuports with painted personal badges are known (from photographs) in Polish aviation. All three are adopted by Polish airmen and all three (Diana, Odalisque, Devil with trident in hands) had different badges painted at port side.
Niueport with Diana was captured in railway station and during this time, red stars are painted (photos are known). Two pictures showing Diana's Nieuport starboard and are known, one (from rear) was published in last century at Polish Militaria magazine.
Both shoots show the Dragon only in fragment - So Russians colleagues could very help!

Best regards

Piotr M
PiotrM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Maybe this little help.

Yes I known there is not too much seen, but maybe it help to find something more in Russians archives.

I promise find and show more, when nobody can't find nothing else...

At the second side of Odalisque - the Mermaid was painted (similar but not same like in ED. decals)

Best regards

Piotr M

PiotrM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hello,

Here two links to the two interesting Russian pages.
Inside some Nieuport with interesting badges (some very!)... It showing how reach is subject of the Russian Nieuport personal emblems...
There is one photo showing Nieuport with dragon - but it is not 'our' dragon...

http://www.wio.ru/ww1a.htm

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=12&tid=100&block=0

Best regards

Piotr

PS.
TBC...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:05 PM UTC
Lets see if this works.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:07 PM UTC
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.591850964288240.1073741849.394338610706144&type=3
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
I will be following your build on this kit. I just bought this one at a Half Price Bookstore in the Twin Cities for $30!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC
Heads up! - WARNING to anyone who wants to build these kits. I have to say that my earlier suspicions were correct. Both of the lower wings are 4/32" too long. If you add them straight out of the box the interplane Vee-struts will have an inward camber at the top wing union.
 _GOTOTOP