_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
NEWS
1:32 McCudden SE5a Conversion Set
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
MMD/Squadron have announced a new conversion set from True Details for the Wingnut Wings SE5A.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
As of today,2/28/11 Squadron is offering it for 10% off.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:50 PM UTC
Now $14.99 with 10% off? Thats not bad. I may have to do another Se 5a!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
Is it just me – or are these some of the bits out of the Encore/Roden SE5a offering?

If so – a very smart move – hope they will do a release of the Boelcke Albatros DII as well...

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it just me – or are these some of the bits out of the Encore/Roden SE5a offering?

If so – a very smart move – hope they will do a release of the Boelcke Albatros DII as well...

Mikael

I think your right Mikael it does look like the parts which come with Encore's kit .
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
I ordered mine on the 28th. Hopefully I can use them to good effect on the SE5 with some disfigured parts. It says it is for converting the WNW SE5, I hope they are correct.

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered mine on the 28th. Hopefully I can use them to good effect on the SE5 with some disfigured parts. It says it is for converting the WNW SE5, I hope they are correct.

Mark,
I have the WNW Kit as well and was thinking of McCuddens' 4891 (long way down the line). 4 Blade Prop with LVG spinner.......any info on a source for the spinner short of buying the Encore kit??

Cheers,
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 09:17 AM UTC
To me it looks like they have released the upper deck, exhaust pipes and decals unique to the early version (4863 only) for the WNW kit.

Of interest, they do not include the upper deck, spinner and four bladed prop for the late version, as was in the full Encore kit.

Also of note is the fact that the "dumbell" is white in this kit, as opposed to blue in the full Encore kit.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To me it looks like they have released the upper deck, exhaust pipes and decals unique to the early version (4863 only) for the WNW kit.

Of interest, they do not include the upper deck, spinner and four bladed prop for the late version, as was in the full Encore kit.

Also of note is the fact that the "dumbell" is white in this kit, as opposed to blue in the full Encore kit.

Ah I see – similar – but not the same... It was really the figure that I recognised from the Encore kit. Also I guess, as You and Lance points out – you'd need the prop in the kit as well for it to work with the Roden release...

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC
Greetings all:

I received my MCcudden WNW SE5 Conversion kit today. The cockpit combing is nicel detailed on the outside and is definately for the WNW kit.

It comes with a colorful instruction sheet.

The decals are complete with Blue dumbells vice the white ones shown in the Squadron Flier.

As many of you may recall, I partially melted my SE5 during the WNW GB of 09-10, this conversion cockpit now salvages that kit. Whew!!! Thank you Squadron.
This is the port side fitted

And the starboard side fitted

The fit seems pretty good, with a little filling and sanding it should blend right in.
The interior of it isn't detailed, but there are those afflicted with AMS who will want to add strips for bracing detail.

The exhausts are nicle detailed with the ends cut out saving the modeler the hassle of opening them up whereupon the modeler may inadvertantly ruin it.

I paid $13.49 minus shipping, that is the 10% off price. Not a bad deal. The figure is in pieces and it is a figure so I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see the pieces lying by the instruction sheet.
I will be doing this kit in the near future as I feel I can do a better job this go around. But first the Albatros.
Enjoy

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hi Mark  – this will be an excellent save on your SE5a

Also – Thank You for showing us the bits in place and giving us your take, this is most helpful!

Best Regards

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:12 PM UTC
Mark,
Glad to see this is helping you past your mishap! That being said I have to ask the following:
Am I the only one who thinks the Encore SE conversion looks like a turret from a 1930's 2 seater? I look at the pics of Macs earlier, read Voss fight, bird and the lines seem much more subtle and refined. Maybe I am wrong, what do others think?

RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:39 PM UTC
From what I have seen of this modification on real SE 5a aircraft the bulge was little more than an effort to expand the cockpit for the shoulders of the pilots. It composed 2 half moon cresent shaped additions (one to each side). I may have some images I can share. More later.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I have seen of this modification on real SE 5a aircraft the bulge was little more than an effort to expand the cockpit for the shoulders of the pilots. It composed 2 half moon cresent shaped additions (one to each side). I may have some images I can share. More later.

Stephen,
Looking forward to any pics you can post! I know what I think I see in High in the Empty Blue and other references. Just wondering if my eyes are wrong!
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
The first field modifications amounted to cutting them down and adding to the cockpit sides or just cutting them down only. McCudden's aircraft was similar. These were all seen when 56 RFC was doing some home duty chasing Gothas in June - July 1917.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 08:42 AM UTC
In 1910, James McCudden joined his father in the Royal Engineers as a 15 year old bugler. By the time war was declared, he was an aircraft mechanic with 3 Squadron in the Royal Flying Corps. One of three brothers to serve with the RFC, he saw combat in France as an observer and gunner before returning to England for flight training in 1916. His talents as a pilot were so extraordinary that he became an instructor within days of receiving his aviator's certificate. By the beginning of April 1918, 22 year old James McCudden was the most decorated pilot in the Royal Air Force. Sadly, he was killed three months later when his aircraft stalled after take off and crashed to the ground.

Here is the late productuion standard on another kit representing 56 Sqn RAF late 1918.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
Remember this old thread?

build notes

The late production factory standards increase the cockpit sides and allowed for more interior room accomidating pilots with broader shoulders. Again Roden did it before anyone else. The images I used here were from my 1:48 builds.
Hodson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Stephen, I'm building a kit with this conversion now and appreciate the background. Nice to see yours underway Mark.

Ted
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Rick:

I do agree, that in the raw it does have the '30's look to it. Final judgement will have to be made once the thing is done. Special thanks and a hats off also to Stephen for providing the references and the models displaying the various modifications to the SE5 cockpit area.

Hope to tackle this this summer sometime after we get situated and I finish the Albatros.

Best

Mark
 _GOTOTOP