_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:72 New Helldiver and Hellcat
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:24 PM UTC
Dragon are set to release a new Helldiver and Hellcat in 1:72 as part of their Cyber-Hobby Golden Wings series.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
Ah.. I'm hoping that these photos are some sort of 3D CAD output and not actual photos of the assembled plastic.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC
They are in my favourite scale If they really are going to be that detailed, they will be awesome.. (allthough on the CAD drawing, the port wing of the Helldiver seems much longer than tthe starboard wing )
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 01:34 PM UTC
Shoot, and I was thinking these would be 1/48 Seriously though, these kits are due in 1/72

Mark: These are indeed CAD drawings my good man.

Richard: It's actually and optical illusion from the curvature of the Helldiver's wings. I am also quite sure that they will be as detailed as the images portray them.

I will definitely have to get multiples of the Hellcat with the folding wings and engine detail. Would be nice if they incorporate the folding wings at least in the Helldiver
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 06:54 PM UTC
Whew, I was hoping it was CAD. Hate to pay good money for an ID model.

Must be a perspective setting in the CAD, as the near wing seems shorter in both views of the Beast (port top, starboard bottom)
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whew, I was hoping it was CAD. Hate to pay good money for an ID model.

Must be a perspective setting in the CAD, as the near wing seems shorter in both views of the Beast (port top, starboard bottom)

Yes, they have turned off perspective- easier to compare lengths and things this way, but looks unnatural.

Both wings are the same length, but your brain expects the wing nearer you to appear bigger, and when it doesn't, you think that the one pointing away from you must be longer. These CAD images are like viewing the subject from a very, very long way away.
Removed by original poster on 10/15/10 - 18:54:02 (GMT).
AndreasBeck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Rowan and all fellows,
I just tried to upload a Hellcat photo, but I missed (kruzzitürkenverfluchtescheisse - an expression of suboptimal mood in Southern Germany). It can be found in the Kitmaker Galleries under my Login Name - AndreasBeck - . This photo shows rather clearly the correct fuselage cross section of the Hellcat which is not correctly caught on so many kits , as well as the missing horizontal panel lines. There is also a tricky change of the cross section at the firewall behind the engine (check walk around photos). Hopefully Freddie gets it right.
What about flaps and slats withe 32nd 109 E and the new 48th NF 110?
Bye for now
Andreas
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC
Its a shame they are not in 1:48, but they still look great, especiali the interior.
 _GOTOTOP