_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW 2009 -10 Alb. D.Va Brad C
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
Brad – Excellent behind the scene look, you make all this look almost easy and very, very good, all at the same time.

Thanks for sharing your hard work!

Mikael
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hey Brad!
your work is outstanding! and the tutorial you made is inspiring! I have saved your pictures as future reference!
ciao
Edo
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Brad:

Great job on the wood grain and the diamonds. The tutorial is very helpful and I will be trying your techniques on the DII I am building now as I am at the stage of applying the Yellow. Your build is truly outstanding.

Best
mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well done on the masking , this is not an easy task . your wood grainning just keeps getting better and better and 32 scale is a perfect canves for your skill to shine

Looking forward to your next up-date Brad
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Brad,
Wow I just can't get passed your wood graining which is always excellent.But this latest effort appears darn near real.Absolutely stunning artistry my friend,and I don't mean just the wood graining but the total package.Construction,fit,details,and paint all outstanding.

I do have one question though.The two pipes or hoses that drape over the oil tank,what purpose do they serve?I'm looking forward to your next update.Keep up the great work.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
The two pipes going over the tank are empty shell shoots and exit from the under side of the aircraft . Keith has done this on his buiild . Sorry Brad for the hijacking of the answer . I'll go to my room now
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Ref the two pipes

I thought they were drain offs for the gun synch mechanisms, they dont seem to appear on all A/C though.

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ref the two pipes
I thought they were drain offs for the gun synch mechanisms, they dont seem to appear on all A/C though.

Keith

Now that makes more sense Keith, for some reason empty shell shoot was in my head .
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
They certainly are the empty shell chutes. The Maxim 08/15 pulls a loaded bullet from the belt at the top, lowers it down, pushes it into the breech and fires it, then pulls the empty shell out of the breech lowers it down and pushes it out the front of the casing under the barrel.

The tubes take the spent cases and drop them out the bottom of the aeroplane.

On a Fokker DR.I they sometimes fitted a little metal shield instead to carry the cases away out to the side of the aeroplane.

Guess who's just working on a pair of Maxims...

Richard
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Peanut butter and chocolate, beer and brats, bread and butter, Brad and Albatros. Perfect combinations.

Boy, did I call that one, or what?

I considered trying this scheme, but dismissed it as being to difficult. Now I can't try it because it would never be as beautiful as what you have accomplished Brad. This is absolutely stunning.

There is a chute that leads up to the Maxims that is the ammo feed. Then there is a chute that leads out of the opposite side, Which I thought was the collection bin for the spent casings. (A valuable comodity in war time.) Those tubes are too small to collect casings, and seemingly would cause the Maxims to be prone to jaming. I thought they were some type of a lubricant drainage tube. I have no documentation to prove this, it is just a personal opinion. I checked my meeger references, and found nothing.
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
Sorry bit slow with this reply,
i have been practising doing the woodgrain effect on a cheap smer kit, which i can strip the paint down and have another go, how you are doing yours, is how i am trying to do mine, but just as i thought i was getting somewhere, i had to see your finish, and you are on another level, its like moving the goal post, its simply stunning!
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
CaptainA, the chute on the left side of the machine gun takes the empty ammunition belt down into a storage box. So belt goes through the gun right to left, bullet cases go through the gun top to bottom and get ejected out the front under the barrel.

I guess the Albatros chutes are there to stop you ending up ankle deep in hot, smoking, empty shell cases. Fokker pilots got them falling back towards their face. It's dangerous stuff this war business

Richard
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
well you learn something new every day
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess the Albatros chutes are there to stop you ending up ankle deep in hot, smoking, empty shell cases. Fokker pilots got them falling back towards their face. It's dangerous stuff this war business

Richard

I was a tanker. Spent time an a tank with a 105mm Main Gun. I know all about being ankle deep in hot, smokin shells. Those 105s pile up real fast. Welcome to Aeroscale. Always happy to see a Neophyte joining in. Thanks for the info also. Are you going to join the build?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 02:46 AM UTC
I was correct the first time , but do to being confused which happens very often , some times more then once a day !
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi Carl, and thanks for the welcome.

I've got another build on the go at the moment, so I'll pass on this one. When I further through I'll start a thread on my DR.I

Richard

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Ladies and Gents,

Richard and I have flown over the salient on many occassions. He's one of the few fellows who finished his Battle Axe Fokker D.VII (also in Jasta 7 markings). Always a pleasure to have you here old man. Model On!
-RLWP-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ladies and Gents,

Richard and I have flown over the salient on many occassions. He's one of the few fellows who finished his Battle Axe Fokker D.VII (also in Jasta 7 markings). Always a pleasure to have you here old man. Model On!

Steady Old Man, the scars, remember?

Thanks Stephen

Richard
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Well as expected, it didn't take me too long to get the rest of this build finished. So here she is:

With regards to the kit itself - I have never built a Wingnuts kit before, but I can certainly say that this is a stunning, comprehensive and well engineered model straight out of the box. There are some minor fit issues (i.e. getting all of those interior goodies in, for example), but these are very minor issues. The only other issue is the slightly bowed upper wing (which I may have "accidentally" straightened in some hot water). The decals are also excellent and respond well to decal setting solutions. The kit is indeed a real joy to build, and could easily be built by those with any level of experience. One nice extra would have been some lozenge decals, but I am sure these will come in future issues of the kit. I also would expect after market decal and detail set makers to start coming out with some goodies for this kit real soon.

Anyways, thanks to all for your very encouraging words throughout this build.. I am not used to having something this big in my little display case.... I think I will try something in 1:72 next...!

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 04:32 PM UTC
Most Impressive Brad! You never disappoint with your builds. I imagine youe will be setting your sights on the new Roden 1:48 DH 9? You do know its been released. . .
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi Brad

It's absolutely gorgeous! Let's get it onto the Frontpage asap! Just send pics and text to Jean-Luc or me and we'll do the rest.

All the best

Rowan
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 09:45 PM UTC
Beautiful build - sharp and clear, you really have raised the bar!

Cheers/Jan
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
In a word OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing your build and your techniques.

Best
Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
Beautifully done Brad . The engine looks super with the cowlings off
 _GOTOTOP