_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 New Zvezda Bf109F
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 08:52 PM UTC

Zvezda have updated their website with some infos about their anticipated 1:48 scale Bf109 F kit. Judging from the CAD drawings it seems as if we can expect the same level of detail as the La-5 serie of kits from the same manufacturer.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Judging from the CAD drawings it seems as if we can expect the same level of detail as the La-5 serie of kits from the same manufacturer.

Hi Jean-Luc,

Could you please expand on that comment for a poor ignorant irregular aircraft modeller like me?

rudi
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well, it looks really detailed and I like some of the features, but the super-modular approach is something I am worried about.

Sergey wrote on HS that this is the best 48 scale Bf 109 F to date and he is normally not very forgiving ... so I think we can expect something here .. hope it goes together well.

all the best

Steffen
P.S. hope this "BF-109 F2" is not a sign on how accurate this Bf 109 F-2 is ..
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Judging from the CAD drawings it seems as if we can expect the same level of detail as the La-5 serie of kits from the same manufacturer.

Hi Jean-Luc,

Could you please expand on that comment for a poor ignorant irregular aircraft modeller like me?

rudi

Hi Rudi

Check out the Reviews for their La-5 and La-5FN - Zvezda have really piled masses of detail into these great low-cost kits.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
This looks like to be a really great kit and one I will be ordering .
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
Oh yes, it looks very nice...

But it's just another BF-109

Cheers Nick
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BF-109

when do you all learn to write the designation correct ... I even already mentioned it above
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But it's just another BF-109

If it is better, more accurate and cheaper than the others, it's fine for me!

Tamiya did "another" Spitfire and for some it is already the kit of the century.

Jean-Luc
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi all!

Well it's on sale in Moscow. Today I've bought couple (about $13 each). I'm impressed, no, I'm VERY IMPRESSED. One of the best kits I've ever held in my hands (and as Steffen has told, I'm usually rather avaricious in compliments). I'm going to make some test fit in a couple of days and will post the results, but I'm not expecting any troubles at least if it fits like their La-5/5FN.

Sergey.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Ok, I have to apologise

Only 13 $

And if it's really so good... (we need a Review )

Cheers Nick
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

Well it's on sale in Moscow. Today I've bought couple (about $13 each). I'm impressed, no, I'm VERY IMPRESSED. One of the best kits I've ever held in my hands (and as Steffen has told, I'm usually rather avaricious in compliments). I'm going to make some test fit in a couple of days and will post the results, but I'm not expecting any troubles at least if it fits like their La-5/5FN.

Sergey.

Hi Sergey

Wow! That is praise indeed! I'm really looking forward to seeing your full assessment.

All the best

Rowan
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi!

As I've promised, some pictures.
Sprue shots:

Some close-ups

Fuselage-tail fit (note asymmetric fin profile)

Wings panels

Wheel wells

The fit is perfect so far.

All the best,
Sergey.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Thank you Sergey!

Could you please hold the fuselage parts together and take a picture of the transition from the cockpit/wing to rear fuselage transition? --- the real thing has a very noticable kink where the square front section goes over into the oval rear

also I would like to see the upper fuselage aft of the cockpit. The ICM was much to angular in that area and it is hard to see in the pictures if the new kit has got that better ....

all the best

Steffen
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
For my tastes is very good

But I think that the plastic is a a bit rough

Cheers Nick
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

I am not confident, that I managed to show the shape of a fuselage in photos (plastic has a satin finish - not rough at all - surface and it is very difficult to catch the shape on a photo).

This kit was made under original blueprints and measurements of the survived planes so I strongly doubt that there is any mistakes in shape. Mansur Mustafin possesses one of the biggest in the world archive on the Bf-109 and he has given all materials to Zvezda and personally consulted them at all stages of making the moulds.

Sergey.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi again

Thanks for the great pics Sergey. It looks very exciting. A couple of sink marks and maybe the odd panel line to clean up, but some really nice details and what look to be impressively thin cockpit walls. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on one!

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
I want one , I want one ! Very nice detailing to the surfaces and the inside of the cowls is a nice touch . Thanks for sharing the shots . What is the detailing in the cockpit like ?
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rudi

Check out the Reviews for their La-5 and La-5FN - Zvezda have really piled masses of detail into these great low-cost kits.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan!

So is this kit readily available to the market yet? And if so, where can I get one?

Rudi
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steffen!

This kit was made under original blueprints and measurements of the survived planes so I strongly doubt that there is any mistakes in shape. Mansur Mustafin possesses one of the biggest in the world archive on the Bf-109 and he has given all materials to Zvezda and personally consulted them at all stages of making the moulds.

Sergey.

Many Thanks Sergey!!

all in all this looks really nice. The effort is definitely better than ICM and Hasegawa (speaking about how it resembles the real thing). I am not totally convinced by the lower fuselage transition, but I will wait until I get the model. As you stated this is really difficult to photograph and it is better to check this when you have the model in hand. Upper fuselage looks good.

Is there a new wing for the Bf 109F-4? I am asking because of the need for round wing cutouts for some of these.....

As for the resources: Most problems nowadays stem from the exclusive use of computers and converting 2-dimensional drawings into 3D models. Many companies fail here because nobody builds a model before it goes into production.

Else I fully agreee with Rowan.

Thanks again for taking the time to make such an extensive photo coverage!

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I have your LaGG-3 cockpit reviewed a few weeks ago on the IPMS D site and will translate it soon so there's only the Il-2 spinners left ... Sorry for the long delay !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

I know what you mean about the lower fuselage transition - as you say, it's something to judge better when you can see the actual parts.

I also hope there is a round wheel-well planned - Squadron's "In Action" actually states "... all F-2 aircraft had the round well, as did late the late production F-1 aircraft." I don't know how true that is?

All the best

Rowan
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi Steffan!

Quoted Text

Is there a new wing for the Bf 109F-4? I am asking because of the need for round wing cutouts for some of these.....

I've talked to Mansur, and he has said that F-4 will have a new wing with round wheel wells and with 3 panel lines on the top wing surface.

Sergey.
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also hope there is a round wheel-well planned - Squadron's "In Action" actually states "... all F-2 aircraft had the round well, as did late the late production F-1 aircraft." I don't know how true that is?

Bf 109F-0, F-1 made by WNF (actually F-1 were made only there), Bf 109F-2 made by WNF and Erla have had "square" wells.
All F-4 have had round wells.

Sergey.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Sergey

Many thanks for the clarification. Do you know the reason for the separate wing panels and internal structure? Are Zvezda maybe planning Galland's cannon-armed aircraft?

All the best

Rowan
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 09:42 PM UTC

I have been for 11 years attempting to fix all the things that are wrong about existing Me-109 kits (the same cockpit traveling throught about 10-12 fuselages, Hasegawas mostly...), and I was finally, after measuring a real Me-109F-4 in a museum, getting close to getting a roughly acceptable result: A heavily deepened and narrowed Hasegawa fuselage, with a spine massively sharpened from the inside, with a heavily modified Otaki nose tacked-on, and finally with an Eduard Me-110G spinner on the end...

This new Zvezda Me-109 kit, I can already say from the pictures, will make all my 11 years of efforts useless... Especially once the G-2 comes out, and the F is already quite close to a G-2, appearance-wise... So this hobby goes...

One curious mismatch I found in my research, and I wonder if Mansur Mustafin can confirm: Measurements I got from a Me-109E, from below the canopy at the front of the mobile canopy portion, at 90° from that to the wingtop, indicate to me a 1.6 inches (41 mm) difference of depth with the F/G/K series, implying the Me-109E has 41 mm thinner wings at or near the wing spar... This would mean the same main modular fuselage portion should not be used for the Me-109E and the Me-109F/G/Ks: it is nearly a whole 1 mm in difference on fuselage side depth...

Here are the measurements I was given for the "Flying heritage" Me-109E in Washington state (a fully original airframe found buried in a beach in France), and those I made for the F (an unrestored airframe found intact in Russia):

F: Mobile canopy front-to-wingtop at 90°: 26 inches: 660.4 mm.

E: 27.6 inches: 701 mm...

The whole question is: Are those "Flying Heritage" E measurements correct... It IS a completely different wing...

In any case, with this new Zvezda Me-109F, it is already clear to me from these photos that the Hasegawa kits will be finally exposed as the hopeless warts that they always were...

Good riddance! A real Me-109... Finally!

Many thanks to Zvezda and all those involved...

Gaston
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
Looks great. I have some Hasegawa and Airfix ausf. Fs in my stash and although they are reasonable, some new blood would be appreciated. Looks like the Zvezda kit has very nice details.

Thanks for the update
 _GOTOTOP