_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
NEWS
1:32 Siemens Schuckert D.III
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 09:20 PM UTC

Modelimex have released shots of Roden's new largescale Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
Would have been nice to see the spruce break down better showing the parts . As Stephen has mentioned in a previous thread . The lozenge looks different in the kit then on their web site . Looking forward to a review of the kit when some one gets the chance to do one .

The kit will be added to the collection
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Interesting! Never heard of a Siemens-Schuckert. Squatty little guy,isn't he?
Any other schemes in addition to lozenge?
Cheers!
Rick
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would have been nice to see the spruce break down better showing the parts.

I would have liked proper sprue shots too, but I think they didn't want to open the bags, so they could still sell the kit.

I'd not heard of this aircraft before (not really having any knowledge of WWI aircraft), but it looks very interesting.
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 07:25 AM UTC
Nice to see (for the first time perhaps?) lozenge rib tapes---but is that a 'cut them out yourself block'?.

I remember the old Eduard 48th. (still have decals--but can't remember what I did with the plastic!!!!!!)
Still and all--a nice addition to the growing range--who, just a few years ago would have dared to imagine it?

Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Yeah , you have to cut your own rib tapes . Nice to have the extra for doing that though .

I'm surprised you guy's haven't heard of this fighter before . I've build the Eduard kit and still have another in the stash along with Kosters two kit's as well . The SSW D.III was Eduard's first release 1996 kit # 8001 and OOP now , lots of PE parts are in it which about 90 % are for the cockpit . I would really love for Eduard to redo this one in 48 scale .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 12:56 PM UTC
Here are some shots of the Eduard 1:48 kit and this is whats inside the box ......Not a bad little kit . It's a limited style kit which does need some still . The lozenge is way off what the colours should be . I love the older Eduard kits , just something about them .

Windsock datafile # 29 By P M Grosz covers the D.III to the D.IV Which I highly suggest it's very worth while to pick this up . ( place thumbs up here ! ) However ; it's the only ref's I have on the aircraft .

Later I will post the Koster kit's to show the difference in them . Both kit;s are vacuforum .
I did start the D.III a while back , since never really doing that type of kit it eneded back in it's box . It's back in the " to do pile "

I'm looking forward to building the Roden kit , 32 scale ...cool !
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi Terry,
I remember most fondly the exquisite Koster Sopwith Triplane--every bit as good as Eduards.

Dave.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Dave , I have Eduards tripe , but not the Koster one .
Even though these kits are long out of production or at least the Eduard kit . I'm very glad that roden has step up and produced this kit in 32 scale . Even with the issues which are already stated on some other sites . It will not stop me from picking up the kit .

The only thing in the Koster kit's which I don't like are the engines , but that is what Copper State Models comes in for replacements or could just detail the two spaer plastic ones from the Eduard kit .

PS , it's Terr.........with an ( i ) not ( y ) LOL
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Terri,
Ooops! i'm a silly bigger! Sorry 'bout that ---I have a few Eduard Sopwith Tripehounds in the stash--but me dodgy old eyes limit even 48th. nowadays and I am happy to go with 32nd.----

All the best,
Dave-----love your Fok. D.VII by the way
This post was removed.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Okay guy's here are the shot's of the Koster kit's on the SSW D.III and D.IV .

The only difference between the two kit's are the wings and decal sheets . White meatl parts are the same as well as the PE parts .

And the shots of the D-IV kit .
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Terri,

Have any plans on tackling either Koster anytime soon? I have it myself and would like
to go to school on you!

Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Your on Dwanye !

As you can tell in the pic I have alraedy started cutting out the parts and it is in my to do pile before I start any new projects .

Would be great for the site to have a dual vac build , not so very many kit's here. Turn it into a feature afterwards .

So if you are up for it . What time does class start ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
My Roden 1:32 SSW D.III arrived today! Review under way!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
Yes, the review is underway and I'll have some shots soon. I will give Roden this, they have simplified the build process down to 16 steps from Eduard's 26 and a rigging diagram is provided. The obvious method for Roden to simplify was the lack of brass PE.

The 5 colour lozenge in the kit hail back to the colours they used in their early 1:48 Fokker D.VII. But Roden improved their decal applications about the time they issued the 1:32 Fok. D.VI kit. I'll see if Roden has followed through with the SSW D.III kit.

I hope someone does the aftermarket brass if not there are pieces I would scratchbuild to further detail. An early SSW D.III or late model D.IV parts trees would be very easy to add to the basic kit. The engine will need careful attention to trick it out. But I am making a judgement call on parts still attached to the tree so this will be the first area of the build.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC
I have been waiting a long time for this kit to come out ever since it was mentioned in the beginning of the year . So I'm looking forward to the comments you have on the kit .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC
Here is what you get. I'll start a build thread when the review is completed.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 04:07 PM UTC
Images from the Roden website.

Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC
Stephen,

I have very limited reference on this kit so bare with me please. The Koster vacuforms have 4 color lozenge included with both the D III and D IV, the Roden kit has 5 color lozenge. Were both patterns found on these machines? If not, which is accurate?

Looking forward to your review and build.
Dwayne
baker24
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
Any chance Roden will do the Siemens-Schuckert D.IV as well? The Germans actually built more than twice as many D.IV types as D.III types, and it was a far better airplane. The Idflieg considered the SSW D.IV to be superior to the Fokker D.VII, though only about 60 of the SSW D.IV types made it into the Jastas before the end of the war. I'd really like to do both.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi there

And any chance that they'll scale it (and a D.IV) down to 1:48? That would be very neat indeed...

All the best

Rowan
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:14 PM UTC
I'm with you on that one Merlin! New 1/48 Siemens would be fine indeed!

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay guy's here are the shot's of the Koster kit's on the SSW D.III and D-IV .

The only difference between the two kit's are the wings and decal sheets . White meatl parts are the same as well as the PE parts .

That looks like some early rough cast resin in that Koster Kit. I only used their stuff once, and that was a vacuform conversin for the 1/48 B-24 D to a B-24 H. Pretty easy conversion and it fit!

And the shots of the D.IV kit .

_GOTOTOP