Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hawker Typhoon cockpit color
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hello. I just started building Hasegawas 1/48 Mk1B and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the cockpit colors are. I saw some photographs of an unrestored aircraft with the cockpit framing looking like natural metal and the instrument panels in black. Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks, Wingman out.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC
This is one of "those" subjects. With only one preserved airframe, plus a denuded cockpit section, it's impossible to be precise. The complete airframe, at Hendon, is completely black, with only certain items, like the trim wheels, coloured. However, the cockpit section, at Duxford, has the tubular sections painted silver, as does a similar, though far less complete, section at the Midland Air Museum. The side walls of the cockpit were completely removeable, for maintenance, so could have been any interior colour, but the Typhoon was thought of as a possible nightfighter, so I'd stick with predominately black; if you do the tubes silver, no-one can say that you're wrong. Incidentally, the harness was a Sutton, throughout the war; the so-called (and misnomered) "Q" harness, with the quick-release box, was post-war.
Edgar
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thank you very much Edgar. I think I'll go with black, it will make for nice drybrushing. Thanks again, I really appreciate it, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP