Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat Weekend Edition
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hello. Eduard has released a 1/48 scale Weekend Edition of a F6F-3 Hellcat. The sturdy box is topped with some nice artwork. This box top will be going in my collection, as I save all my box tops when I'm done with a build. Once you open the box you will find 5 sprues of parts,one of those being the clear parts that are nice and thin and gives you two options for the windscreen. The other parts are molded with fine panel lines and nice rivet detail. I could not find any ejector pin marks that would have to be cleaned up in any areas that would be visible. Since this is a Weekend Edition, there are no photo-etch belts, but I will be adding these in this build. Cockpit detail is nice with a nice instrument panel that has very defined circles for the instrument dials. Decals for the instrument faces are not included with the decals, I will source these from the spares binder. The tires and wheels are 4 piece affairs with two tires halves and the front and back of the wheels. There is a little bit of flash between the wheel spokes but it won't be a problem cleaning that up. The wing guns come as an insert that are sandwhiched between the wings. The shell ejector shoots are hollowed out which is a nice feature. The wheel wells are seperate items that are also sandwhiched between the wings, they have some nice detail with them as do the landing gear.The engine has two rows of cylinders that will look good once painted black and drybrushed with some toned down silver. Exhaust stacks are provded that can be drilled out.The kit comes with a small instruction booklet with nice exploded views. The last page of the instructions has a nice layout of the decal placements. You get one choice of decals which represent an aircraft flown by Lt. William C. Moseley from VF-1 from the USS Yorktown, June 1944. The decals, one sheet with the stars and bars and codes and the other with the airframe stencils look nice and thin with good register. Stayed tuned for more photos of the build. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Very nice presentation...

I can't wait to see the first build pictures.

Good luck for your mission!

Jean-Luc
mauserman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
I'm finishing up Eduard's F6F-5 Profipack version. It's a great kit. One tip though. Make sure you decide on your armament load before assembling the wings. There are holes to be drilled out for some things before the wings go together. Ask me how I know!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Another tip on the wings: watch out when gluing the halves together. The back is open and it's easy to get them compressed too much, resulting in steps when fitting the separate flap parts. I recommend gluing a few pieces of styrene sheet inside to act as shims prior to assembly, testfitting with the flap parts to get them lining up with the wings without steps. Ask me how I know!
To be honest it wasn't hard to install the shims after assembly, but it would have been easier prior to that.

Oh, I remembered another one. The wing machine guns. That's parhaps the only constructional solution I didn't like in the kit. If you glue the MGs in place following the instructions, the seam next to the MG openings will be tricky to clean up and the gun barrels will be vulnerable to getting knocked off while handling the model during assembly and painting.
If you wish to add the barrels during final assembly, it would probably be easiest to cut them off prior to wing assembly, possibly pinning the joints to ease fitting them later.

When the kit came out I hoped in vain that Quickboost (or other aftermarket manufacturers) would make a resin replacement solution with which you could add the barrels later.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll keep those tips in mind. What I really like about this kit so far is the wheels. I cleaned them up and did a dry fit and they look just like the real thing with the empty space behind the spokes. Very nice. Thanks for the tips and for looking, Wingman out.
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Oh yea i gots to get me one of these! Ive got like 6 Hasegawa cats in the stash but ill still add a couple of these. Good luck with the build - ive always liked the Royal navy marking better than the the US Navy ones just for something different
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 04:10 PM UTC
(I've got 4+1 Eduard Kit...I thought I was the only one who did that ). Very good presentation. I liked the ccloseup of the engine sprue, and the general tone of the writing: to the point and salient. Good job. Enjoy the build.

Matt
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks guys. The cockpit is just about put together and the engine is painted. I'll try to have some photos posted by the weekend. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC

Wingman - what is with doing this on a Monday and Tuesday? This is the weekend edition!! Or is the weekend on different days on the Eastern side of the Pacific??

Certainly is a good looking kit - and one that I have eyed off in the LHS for a while so I will be following this with interest.

Brian
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hello. We live in a whole different world over here Brian. It would be hard for me to finish this in one weekend. I need to take my time on these builds. Here is a quick update. I did a dry fit of the landing gear. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the oleo scissors from the sprue as these parts are VERY SMALL. There are a total of 10 parts for the landing gear, that includes the wheel wells that are sandwhiched between the wing halves. All these parts make up a nicely detailed landing gear. The brake lines are molded into the gear leg itself which could make it hard to paint.The detail in the wells lines up well with the detail in the wing. I installed the guns as per the instructions and did a dry fit with the other wing half and the fit looks very good. Eetu, I'll be careful when sanding the seam around them later on. The engine has been built, painted and weathered and looks good when completed. I'll be painting the landing gear parts,wheels, tires and installing some Eduard belts next. Thanks for looking and stay tuned,Wingman out.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hello. The cockpit has been assembled with decals from the spares binder being punched out and applied to the instrument panel. Drops of Testors Clear Cement were applied to replicate the glass although you can't see it in the photo. While the glue was setting up on the seat bulkhead and the instrument panel, I did a dry fit to make sure they lined up with the interior of the fuselage halves and they lined up nice. Eduard photo-etch belts were added to the cockpit. The wing halves were glued together paying close attention to the seam by the guns. The fit of the wing halves was very good, reminding me of some Tamyia kits I built in the past. The seperate flaps went on well using super glue and lining them up with the wing while the glue dried. The leading edges of the wings were sanded with varying grits of sanding sticks. I added some bits of pipe screen to the interior of the cowl behind the intake to add a little detail. The cowl parts built up into a very nice part. The prop has been painted with the kit decals being applied. They went on very well with a minimal amount of soaking time in the water and sliding right off the decal paper with no problem, nice. The prop was dullcoated and weathered and set aside until ready to be attached. The landing gear parts were painted and received a Future coat for some weathering. The four parts for the wheels and the tires allows you to get a very nice seperation between the tire and the wheel. I was sure to paint the inside of the back part of the wheel so as not to see the tan color of the part showing up through the spokes. The wheels look just like the real thing, very nice! Next will be installing the cockpit into the fuselage halves and attaching the wings, thanks for following along, Wingman out.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 06:40 PM UTC
Looks really nice!

I like those details you've been adding. Btw, are you planning to wire the engine as well?

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks Eetu. I won't be detailing the engine. It's basically out of the box. I will be putting this on a section of carrier deck from Verlinden. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
It seems very nice mwolfe, a very interest project
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi Daniel. Thanks. The clear parts are about to be dipped in Future and then masked. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hello. The clear parts have been dipped in Future and masked with Bare Metal Foil. The clear parts are nice and thin. While cutting the masking for the windscreen, there was a slip of the hand that caused a nice scratch on the side window. So, I had to use part#H7, the windscreen that is shaded as not for use. The fit of the windscreen to the fuselage is very nice, so nice that I will attach it after painting is done. The windows behind the cockpit have been installed and masked as well, fit is very good here too. The fuselage seam has been sanded and the engine and cowl have been attached. The fit of the cowl ot the fuselage is very nice as well. The wings and tailplanes have been attached. There are no spars or tabs to attach these parts, There is a recess for the wing root to fit into giving a very nice seam. The same goes for the tailplanes.I used lots of superglue here. Next up is masking the cockpit and engine and applying the first round of paint. Thanks for following along, stayed tuned for more photos, thanks for looking, Wingman out.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hello. Here is a quick update. The entire model was wiped down with alcohol and black applied to all panel lines. The prop hub was resprayed with Intermediate Blue as per the instructions. READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! A Future wash has to be applied to the hub still. Interior green was applied first to the windscreen and canopy. Next up, applying white to the underside. Thanks for following, Wingman out.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 04:51 PM UTC
Hello. All the camo colors have been applied. I used masks made from thin plastic sheet that was kept off the model with Silly Puddy[that's all I had on hand] about an 1/8 of an inch to give me the soft demarcation line. The instrument coaming has been painted along with the edges along the cockpit. The windscreen and canopy received their final coat of paint too.Future has been applied to the wheel wells in preperation for a Future wash. I might go with a ModelMaster Gloss Coat instead of a Future coat for the kit decals. The yellow spots you see on the wing and the tailplane are reflections from the two flashes.That's it for now,thanks for looking, Wingman out.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Wingman

Great looking kit. You are making excellent progressand did a good job on the paint work. I really like the three colour early/mid WWII US Navy camouflage.

I have two royal class boxes and a dual combo box, so I have 6 of these kits. I know it is a bit much, but with the royal class boxes selling for 50 Euros post free it is difficult to say no.
I really appreciate the hints on this kit from everybody it will be a good help. I plan to start my build for the carrier aircraft campaign.

Looking forward to see more
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Jesper, thanks. Looks like I'll be going with a Future coat for the decals. Since the hobby shops around here are out of Testors GlossCoat. I'll keep you guys and gals posted,thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hello. I was able to find some Testors Glosscoat. The wings were masked and the anti-slip areas were masked. The model was gloss coated and the decals applied. The decals performed very well and reacted well to MicroSol. Two things about the decals. The blue in the stars and bars looks too light to me. If someone has an opinion on this, please post. The other thing with the decals is when I went to start applying the airframe data stencils, the letters that tell you which decals to use did not match up with the decal sheet. The white stencils were very hard to read even with a magnifyer being that they were printed on very light blue backing paper. It got to the point of picking a decal, dipping it in water for a short period and then reading what the decal was when it was wet and then looking at the instruction sheet to see where it should be placed. Don't get me wrong, the decals performed very well, it's just that Eduard needs to fix this problem for a speedier decal application. The small white specks you see on the wings are decals. I really like the look with stencils, the white breaks up all that blue. Anyway, the model has been dullcoated and is ready for a raw umber wash. Thanks again for following along, Wingman out.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Great Model Michael!!

I found the Hellcat the easiest Eduard model so far, comparesd to the others .. but obviously it still is no "Weekend project". Still, three weeks is still very fast .. great job!

all the best

Steffen
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks Steffen. Our dad taught my brother and I to take our time but since this is a review of a brand new kit, I'm trying to move it along. As was mentioned earlier, the dullcoat has been applied and the weathering has been done with a raw umber wash on both top and bottom of the model. Pastels were used for the exhaust and gun staining as I'm still practicing using the airbrush for those effects. Pastels were also used to dirty up the engine cowl and the area by the access doors for the guns in the wings. The chipping around the cowl was done by dipping the end of some beading wire into some toned down chrome siver paint. Eduard does not supply supports for the fuel tank so I'm going to make some from Tamiya tape, also the wingtip lights are a bit too big so I superglued them on and sanded and polished them to contour with the wing. The landing light on the underside of the wing fit very well as did the lens for the light on the leading edge of the wing. The windscreen fit very well as I mentioned before. Next up is to reapply a raw umber wash to the underside of the tailplanes due to a pastel powder mishap, no big deal. Thanks again for following along, Wingman out.

hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Great finish
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks Hermann. I always liked the raw umber wash as one of the steps in weathering. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP