_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Another Messerschmitt Bf 109 E 1/48 (Tamiya)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi all

Daniel's build thread of his Bf 109 E-4 project motivated me to start the model I just bought cheap from Hannants (to fill my order volume).

I will do Rolf Pingels machine that is very well documented (about 10 photos) in the new Kagero Monographs (which also include decals):

(please note this is copyrighted material, all pix in this post taken from http://www.me109.info)

See here for further information: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10664 ...

I bought an Eduard colour Zoom set which has wrong colours (it is light grey .. neither RLM 02 nor 66) .. anyway the dashboard is black so I have no problem in that area and the rest will be painted.
For Daniels build I browsed my library for some information on interior colours of Bf109Es and the more I read the less I am sure what is right or wrong. The pictures I have do not really tell me if it is 02 or 66. E.g. I have read in Lynn Ritgers Bf 109 book (vol.1) that some (!) Messerschmitt Bf109E-7 (rebuilt airframes) were resprayed in the upper areas with 66. ... OTOH see my argumentation in the other thread ... I chose RLM 02 (Gunze) for the model and I will (have to) live with it.

shall be a fun build ... hopefully

cheers

Steffen
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
Steffen, just quick shout the Tamiya colour call out for the cockpit is their RLM grey, which is in fact RLM 02. So i think you're safe in your colour choice. Good luck with the build, after finish the Lanc and a Catalina, i'll be tackling this one.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
Steffen,

I was wondering whether you knew of any explanation for the flags below the canopy? I've not seen it before.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Ben: the flags represent the battle grounds Rolf Pingel has fought over: GB, France, Belgium, NL, Spain

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

This is going ti be a very interest project, I´m going to follow it with attention
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC
Interesting build, Steffen.

I am looking forward to hear how the Kagero decals settle. I have this book as well, but have not used any of the decals yet. What kind of decal setting solution are you going for?

Ben, there were a few pilots using the flags under the cockpit. I cannot remember all their names of the top of my head, but I am sure somebody will add that info.
I remember even seeing a Japanese flag because the pilot was the luftwaffe attachee to Japan. I think it was Molders, but not sure.....

EDIT:
I checked my references and it was Fritz Losigkeit that had the Japanese flag on his FW 190.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

I expect these to be Techmod decals and thus they should be quite nice ... but we will see. A clubmate has already used some of the 110 decals and IIRC he did not mention any bad behaviour.

The C&M of Losigkeits machine is really nice ... sadly the sole picture I know of this bird has a tarp over the whole front ... so the stripes is educational guess (at best) ... would like to learn to be wrong though!!

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi all

Well, I am progressing very little these days. Stress level is high (final test of my course just 13 days ahead) and motivation low.

I installed a few parts of the Zoom set in the pit and painted it. I used the Instrrument panes as it was, i.e. i did not change the colour to RLM 66 or 02 ... I just cannot achieve the same results painting so a slightly wrong but very nice part is better than a correctly coloured piece of sh....

Pic deleted see below

I think I will close up the fuselage in the coming days ... but we'll see. As always: comments welcome!

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Looks nice, Steffen. I would also have choosen better details over correct colour, but I also have a relaxed view on colours. Especially experiencing first hand how a supposedly similar military paint can be extremely different in the Danish Army - and that was/is in peacetime!

Thanks for the decal comments.

Good luck with your final test! Get back to your books
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
Looks nice!

I second Jesper on the PE color issue.
I'm facing a similar problem with Eduard's Westland Wyvern interior. The cockpit interior, instruments panels and consoles should be black, but the prepainted color is a dark grey, around extra dark sea grey or RLM66. With all the nicely done details, I think I'm going for an inaccurate dark grey interior.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi jesper and Eetu

as you know I am pretty @n@l about colours, but not so much about the perfect hue but the appearance. It is quite difficult for me to explain my point of view .. even in German. To say it simplified: it has to look right. Only the very early dash boards in Bf 109s were 02 ... later the pretty dark RLM 66 was used, thus I can live with the all black panel.

I took two new pix to better show the detail of the PE . I masked the placard on the oxigene bottel protector. The wash may be a bit harsh, but it will look o.k. once the pit is closed.

all the best

Steffen

P.S. ... it the last pic it almost looks like 66
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Nice progress! You are in a Messerschmitt mood it seems...

The cockpit is a little bit dirty though? Did you use the ProModeler wash?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more progress.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

many thanks for your kind comment!

The wash is oil paint a warm grey (similar to 02 in hue) with some umbra and black diluted with testors thinner (white spirit). I like the effect as this shall not look real head on like in the pix but simulate wear and shadows when shown from above. Because I am lazy I did not used the levers from the PE set but wanted to go this way (canopy will be closed).

I glued the fuselage halves and attached the wing yesterday .. pix maybe this evening (weather is bad, so I am not sure I can take good photos) .. should focus on the c(o)urse now

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 02:48 AM UTC
That´s an excellent work yopu are making Steffen

Which paint are you using?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your comment. It is just a simple Tamiya "box-shaking" model to keep the spirit. I also like the other projects I actually have but with time in short supply recently I better do the fun stuff now. There will be other times soon when I can progress on my Fw190-mania and the Bf 110 Zerstörer.

I use mostly acrylic paint. For Luftwaffe I like the Gunze colours a lot but I also have the JPS line from Jens Popp. Furthermore Tamiya and Vallejo are in my stack. I like to mix the shades/companies a bit to avoid too much uniformity.

Here is a small update. Main components glue together and already sanded/polished in most places. the seam on the top and bottom of the fuselage still has to be reworked (the "scratch" in the top side view is just dirt)

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC
Coming along nicely Steffen . What colour scheme are you going with on this one ?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Many thanks, Terri!

Just see above (first post) for the camo & markings. The Kagero Monograph on the Bf 109 E has a lot more pictures of this machine (and the decals) ... of course there is still some guessing involved, but I never had so much material for a c&m before .. shall be a fun project

cheers

Steffen
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Pit is looking great, and the placard on the bottle looks more than ok.

I will have to try a Tamiya 109 some day, but one thing looks weird. Is the protrution forward an engine? In that case I need one now, or maybe yesterday.

Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Tony

I am not sure what you mean, but in case you mean the small step just aft of the fuselage MGs, this one is o.k.

I just learned about this in all the discussions about the new Eduard 1/32 kit. If I understood it right, there is a slit in this place where the hot air can get out (IIRC deicing the wind shield ?) .. of course it is a bit exaggerated, but I will leave it as it is.

all the best

Steffen
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
You go really fast, very nice
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:43 PM UTC
Sorry Steffen, maybe I was a bit fuzzy there. What I mean is that it looks like the engine is molded into the fuselage, so that you can build it with cowling off, showing the engine. Is that correct?

Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Tony

Well .. I was not sure ... just my bad English, I think.

The engine mock up cannot be used to show it open. It is just to avoid a see through effect. the two slits at the front allow to have a look inside and this way you will see some kind of engine in there (I will put some color on it later).

hth

cheers

Steffen
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC
Steffen, your english beats my german anyday. I get along talking, but the german grammar... I hope to get some practice at Hahnweide in september though.

Anyway, then I know what I need. I hoped it could be "poor mans aires-engine" but then I know I'll have to go the normal road.

Thanks Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Tony

Quickboost just issued an engine plug for the Tamiya kit:

Q48241

should not be too expensive ...

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 08:24 PM UTC
Now don't I feel dumb ! I total missed that . Great choice on the markings nice and colourful .

Nothing wrong with your english at all Steffen ! Either Tony has been into the sauce again or the paint fumes are starting to get him ,, naaa...........it's the sauce
 _GOTOTOP