Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1:48 Fokker Dr.I Wknd #8490
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"I think you perhaps missed my point. If the legs are the right apparent length on the plan in two dimensions, because the leg is angled away from the eye in three dimensions it therefore actually needs to be longer to reach the same point on the fuselage. Still, you do it your way, I'll do it mine."

It does depend on the "plans" you are using. The earliest Datafile types are not as exact as I would like. The Datafile Special has a more refined set. As long as the gap between the fuselage and wing axle is good you will be very close to the angle of incidence needed. But thanks for the permission to do it my way.
Airbag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Morbihan, France
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It does depend on the "plans" you are using. The earliest Datafile types are not as exact as I would like. The Datafile Special has a more refined set. As long as the gap between the fuselage and wing axle is good you will be very close to the angle of incidence needed. But thanks for the permission to do it my way.

As to the plans, I used the later set, scaled down in Windsock to 48th and the pertinent distance is identical on these and the earlier set, as I'm sure you would know. I had visions of people unnecesarily chopping bits off Eduard's legs (poor little feller) - or worse still going to the trouble of making new ones!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
To continue a bit more in the cockpit area done with more to do. Note I reversed the cockpit rear screen and carved out some slots for the cables to lay through. This meant that I will of course erase the tab for the seat back. The purpose was to account for the added depth of the "Parachute seat cushion" and drop the whole seat down. I will add a bar across the back to represent the framing.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC
Nice wood grain Stephen . It's great to see this one coming along . Just love the streaking shot up close . Do you still have a few more passes to make ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice wood grain Stephen . It's great to see this one coming along . Just love the streaking shot up close . Do you still have a few more passes to make ?

That is correct Terri at least one more maybe two depending on how the next pass comes out.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hey , I'm getting some where now ! It didn't look right when I was viewing the photo seemed on the light side from other work you have done . I have notice on other builds you have done the streaking varies in shade , some more on the green side . Would this have been correct depending on what was available for paint during the time the these aircraft were build at the factory and would have a high gloss finish from the linseed oil varish .

Would clear coating in a semi-gloss repersent this in scale effect better then a high gloss ?
Thanks for your time Stephen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey , I'm getting some where now ! It didn't look right when I was viewing the photo seemed on the light side from other work you have done . I have notice on other builds you have done the streaking varies in shade , some more on the green side . Would this have been correct depending on what was available for paint during the time the these aircraft were build at the factory and would have a high gloss finish from the linseed oil varish .

Comparing all of the Dr.I first & second generation images I have, that is my interpretation.

Quoted Text

Would clear coating in a semi-gloss repersent this in scale effect better then a high gloss ? Thanks for your time Stephen

I prefer to use several (2-3) coats of flat. It builds up to a subdued semi-sheen. This for me keeps everything in a scale light effect.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
Here is a great reference but its OOP. If you can find one hang on to it and read it thoroughly.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:17 PM UTC
Here is the finished cockpit with additional parts from the spares box.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the feed back Stephen , don't mean to sound like a pain . I'm planning on building one of my kits and trying to gather as much info as I can on the subject with out building the kit wrong or with to many mistakes as my other builds have been . Not that there is anything wrong with that . It has been a good learning experience .

Nice work in the cockpit , but I'm a little confused on the seat belts ? As always
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Terri you are never a pain. Now I had an inquiry about the seat "cushion" and the short straps; Ok, here is the skinny. The lap belts are simulated to look like leather and were popular with some pilots. The seat cushion in late production Fokker Dr.I types was the parachute. There were four attachment rings to the chute pack. By the way it was two of the attachments that failed on Erich Löwenhardt Heineke harness that cause his death after jumping from his stricken Fok. D.VII.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Another little gem of info for us to try to remember Stephen

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the feed back Stephen , don't mean to sound like a pain . I'm planning on building one of my kits and trying to gather as much info as I can on the subject with out building the kit wrong or with to many mistakes as my other builds have been . Not that there is anything wrong with that . It has been a good learning experience .

Nice work in the cockpit , but I'm a little confused on the seat belts ? As always

Thank you Terri. Don't consider that I think you or anyone is a pain. Some of these things I don't provide answers to in the first post lets me give you a chance to ask about.them.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 06:17 PM UTC
No worries Stephen , your quote to the answers was right on the money on my questions .
Gives me time to think about and I still have to remember that it all comes down to interruption of the build . However though there is a lot of miss leading info out there as I'm learning more about different as pecks of our hobby . You have good guide lines for us to follow making us better modelers .

Thank- you for also adding the link to Erich Lowenhardt .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 06:26 PM UTC
Now back to Dr.I 545/17. Can anyone tell me what was different about the late production series Fokker Dr.I types?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 06:46 PM UTC
I will give it a try Stephen ,,,,,,,the shape of the the ailerons was different . The inboard shape didn't have the long curve as the early one did . If I'm wrong I will go to my room ! Oh and the rear stabilizers
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
Not quite. That is the difference between the pre-production versions and the early production birds.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:39 AM UTC
So I'm close then , not bad for me . I don't have the correct answer you are looking for . I have four books on the subject .windsock #5 squadron in action and two osprey titles and they only seem to mention the differences between the F.1 and the Dr.1 .

The only other things that come to mind are the top wing construction was changed to to wing failure . Stacking pads location were moved closer to inboard . Lower wing tip skids were added on the production type . Different engines used for improving performance a long with props . Three different cowls used ( Rodens kit has the third one ) Different engine access panels . Cross fields were changed on later productions some with white fields others with out . Lower access plane was also different ( under side of fuselage )

So to what the difference of the early production and late production I still remain looking stupid here on the answer . Now even more frustrated on not knowing a simple answer to a question which is right under my nose , just can't see it !
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Stephen, looking very nice as always! Could you be alluding to the possible difference in axle wing shapes/chord on the 5xx series?
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, looking very nice as always! Could you be alluding to the possible difference in axle wing shapes/chord on the 5xx series? RAGIII

That is one difference.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Dually noted Stephen , when I read through more of my ref's I will be looking for this on the Axle wing .
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Steven, this build prompted me to purchase the Edward Dual Dr.I {#8161} kit over the weekend...I was wondering, what's the difference between the "standard kits" and the "weekend kits" {they had that one there, but I liked the color choices better on the dual kit I got}.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Not Stephen but as far as I know the PE included in the kit in yours, Weekend Edition NO PE.
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
Well I'm not Stephen either , wrong parts for make of model !

The weekend kits have no PE parts and only have one decal option , " stander kit's " have PE parts and a few decal options . Limited Edition kits have PE parts , some only one decal option like the Bristol F2B of the the crocodile and the bristfish while others will have more then one which have special markings . A few of them even come with extras such as resin figures , pins etc, etc .............
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I'm not Stephen either , wrong parts for make of model !

The weekend kits have no PE parts and only have one decal option , " stander kit's " have PE parts and a few decal options . Limited Edition kits have PE parts , some only one decal option like the Bristol F2B of the the crocodile and the bristfish while others will have more then one which have special markings . A few of them even come with extras such as resin figures , pins etc, etc .............

Thank you........and we will take your word on that{the wrong parts thing}