_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Swing-wing 2008 official thread
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 04:11 AM UTC
Within a few hours it will be September 1st all over the globe and that will mean the start of Swing-wing 2008!

This is what the participant list looks like right now:

On the to-do-list:

A nice campaign ribbon! I am open for suggestions, as you probably have figured out when seeing the table above I am not much of a graphic designer !

Asking Chuck to nail this thread: That one I can handle!

I look forward to this campaign, we are already quite a bunch of modellers and I am sure that more will join in due course!

Happy modelling!

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Looks like it is going to be an interesting campaign. My first build will probably be a SU-17 instead of SU-24.
I did not know a P.1101 counted as swing wing. I have one in my stash and might just enter that one into the campaign as well.

Looking forward to get started
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Magnus.

Can you update the list.

I have Tornado and Bone, just waiting in the stash for this campaign. All 144.

Andy
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Tonight's update of that beautiful table of mine:

Suddenly there is TWO MiG-23s and Jesper has (maybe) volounteered to do the Messerschmitt P.1101, what more is there to ask for?

I'll put knife to plastic on Thursday, stay tuned!

Magnus
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
Magnus - You are doing a great job coordinating this Campaign, well done.

You got me so excited with this Campaign, I jumped the gun and finished my F-111B (pictured in previous post) before the Campaign started, sorry.

I'm now working on another Swing Wing that didn't make your list

I'm kit bashing a F-4 (FVS). I was lucky enough to see this aircraft in mock up, in the presentation hanger in St. Louis, on a visit to our Corp Headquarters (McDonnell Douglas), years ago.

DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC
Well,

this is what should combine into a Bombcat.

The Avionix/Black Box set (cockpit and Bombcat conversion) looks great. The resin is less than paper thin at times, so care is evidently needed. The only drawback I can see right now is that there is no parts layout in the instructions. It will also be tricky to see how to get the resin parts to fit properly in the cockpit. What should be cut from the Hasegawa kit, what should not, and how to line everything up. So I will proabably have to hang a huge banner at my desk with the text "Testfit, Testfit, Mark, Testfit, Testfit, Remark, and Testfit again!!" I have known myself to get into a lot of trouble with premature cutting and sanding, or glueing things shut. O yeah, the beast is going to be big...

As far as the markings go, I have a lot of choice, as I have the decalsheet in the picture and have the VF-Decals VF-103 Jolly-Rogers last Tomcat Cruise set, with three other options (two complete high visibility, and one of six "semi-high viz" (as tail is a dark grey rather then medium or full black)). However, I do not trust my skills yet to go for one of the latter ones..., so it will probably one of the planes shown in the photo.

Cheers,

Harm
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm kit bashing a F-4 (FVS). I was lucky enough to see this aircraft in mock up, in the presentation hanger in St. Louis, on a visit to our Corp Headquarters (McDonnell Douglas), years ago.

Looks like an amibitous project! Good luck!

Harm
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:09 AM UTC
Ok this will be the first build, but I have a few builds to get off the bench first.

Hoping to cut plastic on this by the end of the month.

Ciao
Luciano
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have Tornado and Bone, just waiting in the stash for this campaign. All 144.

Andy

I should have stated these are in addition to an F-14. Trying for a triple build again!

Andy
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
Ok thought I'd take a photo of the parts for the Tu-22 while paint was drying on a build.

Thing is I dropped the spures and this happened.

Opps... so much for waiting till the end of the month.

Ciao
Luciano
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thing is I dropped the spures and this happened.

Luciano! I have dropped lots of sprues during my modelling career but I have never gotten that kind of result. Amazing

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only drawback I can see right now is that there is no parts layout in the instructions.

I've used the blackbox cockpit set and didn't have any real fit problems. The only thing to look out for is:
1. To remove the footwell boxes and the top of the ladder well in the left kit fuselage
2. make sure you sand evenly to the scored line on the main cockpit tub (I didn't and had to make some shims from Plasticard to go between the tub and the front wheel well.

These links should help
"Tomcat Cockpit" F-14A Part One
"Tomcat Cockpit" F-14A Part Two
"Tomcat Construction" F-14A Part Three

I've got next week off work so with a bit of luck (if i get the last few "bit" projects done) i'll get cracking on with my Tomcat.

Cheers

Allen
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:22 AM UTC
I'm in!! Might get me motivated to build my only 1/48 aircraft in my stash, 2 F-111s... In fact I will go and start right now!!

I was wrong!! I have a 1/72 Hasegawa F-111C as well... Forgot that one... I am off to the hobby room.. not the stash this time!!
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've used the blackbox cockpit set and didn't have any real fit problems. The only thing to look out for is:
1. To remove the footwell boxes and the top of the ladder well in the left kit fuselage
2. make sure you sand evenly to the scored line on the main cockpit tub (I didn't and had to make some shims from Plasticard to go between the tub and the front wheel well.

These links should help
"Tomcat Cockpit" F-14A Part One
"Tomcat Cockpit" F-14A Part Two
"Tomcat Construction" F-14A Part Three

I've got next week off work so with a bit of luck (if i get the last few "bit" projects done) i'll get cracking on with my Tomcat.

Cheers

Allen put italicized text here

Thanks for the tips Allen! They will certainly be of use.

I had found the links you gave already (and will definitely use them). I hope to work on it again later this week (in between all my other projects).

Harm
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:01 PM UTC
Oh dear.... I was hoping all I heard about Ki-Tech 1/48 F-111s was incorrect.. The aren't.. Well at least for the FB-111A I started.. The F-111E looks to be completely different though. Stay tuned for further updates!
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Warren, don't know these kits but good luck with them.

Well after my trained carpet monster stuck the Tu-22 together I just had to carry on and do some more to it. Not a lot but just some filling and sanding.

Ciao
Luciano
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
I have decided to start with a Kopro SU-17/22 for this campaign. Then later the P.1101 will join the group.

Looks good, Luciano. A very striking aircraft - an arrow with jet engines strapped to it.

Looking forward to see more
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hello friends!

Latest updates to the table:

Chuck: I never commented on your Swing Wing Phantom! It has now gotten its own column in the table and I have volounteered you to the campaign even if you haven't joined officially yet! I suppose this aircraft was for the UK since it has RR-engines, when was the mock-up built?

Warren: I expect several F-111s from you then! BTW do you know of a good source for Vietnam-camoed australian F-111s? I have a Hasegawa kit in 1/72 but I would like to avoid those decals if possible,

Luciano: I have to get one of those trained carpet monsters for myself! I spent yesterday evening at a modelling meeting and the only thing I managed to do was stick two Tornado parts together. The rest of the time was spent talking, socializing and eating sushi! Well, I suppose that's part of the hobby as well.

Magnus
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chuck: I never commented on your Swing Wing Phantom! It has now gotten its own column in the table and I have volunteered you to the campaign even if you haven't joined officially yet! I suppose this aircraft was for the UK since it has RR-engines, when was the mock-up built?

Magnus - Thanks, I think , for volunteering me Not sure what kind of success I'll have, but I'm giving it a try. I don't recall the year I saw her at Lambert, probably in the early '70's, I've always had the idea of building a model of one swimming around in my head. The FVS was an alternative/backup proposal to the F-111 and F-14 airframes, it was based on the M model with the RR "smokeless" engines, not necessarily for UK use, but with additional power. The airframe never got past the mock up phase, as with many other "strange" configurations of the F-4.

Here are some photos of the F-111B, I "jumped the gun" with. Thanks for the inspiration to finally finish this old model.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus - Thanks, I think , for volunteering me Not sure what kind of success I'll have, but I'm giving it a try. I don't recall the year I saw her at Lambert, probably in the early '70's, I've always had the idea of building a model of one swimming around in my head. The FVS was an alternative/backup proposal to the F-111 and F-14 airframes, it was based on the M model with the RR "smokeless" engines, not necessarily for UK use, but with additional power. The airframe never got past the mock up phase, as with many other "strange" configurations of the F-4.

The wings surely look "Tomcatty!", I suppose that you can cross-breed a Fujimi Spey Phantom with a Tomcat? Where does the sketch come from?

Quoted Text

Here are some photos of the F-111B, I "jumped the gun" with. Thanks for the inspiration to finally finish this old model.

Not much of an Aardvark really, I think more of a panda I really do prefer the looks of the "real" F-111 but it is interesting to see its ancestors!

Chuck, the button is here! You know that you want to press it!

Magnus
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wings surely look "Tomcatty!", I suppose that you can cross-breed a Fujimi Spey Phantom with a Tomcat? Where does the sketch come from?

It will be a cross-breeding (bash) of two 1/72nd kits. Not sure of my success, I opted for a couple of inexpensive kits, the MatchBox Phantom K/M and the Italeri F-111 . As for the sketch, I'm not sure where that came from, I've had it in my reference files for quite a while. It is NOT an "official" document, just something I came across searching for references. Strange that I have been unable to find any photos of the mock up, I know some were taken (as promotional material), my friend Joe, an Engineer with the Ergonomics group, showed my his copy He allowed me to have copies of the F-110A even a First Flight photo of the KC-10A, but he only had one copy of the FVS, for his collection.

Quoted Text

Not much of an Aardvark really, I think more of a panda I really do prefer the looks of the "real" F-111 but it is interesting to see its ancestors!

Proof of just how effective a "Nose Job" can be
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:16 PM UTC
My MiG keeps coming and going from the table but here it is! Honest! This campaign entry will be known as How to make a dog’s dinner out of a sow’s ear: they don’t call it a Flogger for nothing.

So, a MiG-23MS – Flogger-E, the one sold to countries that couldn’t quite be trusted. This one will be Libyan. The base kit is the original Esci MiG-23S, which is reckoned to be no good for any more modern variant but will do for an early one. It will be considerably enhanced (I hope) with two sets from Eduard: external details, and the exhaust nozzle; and a replacement cockpit from Neomega. “External details” is a bit misleading – it includes an entire nosewheel well and a lot of add-ons for the mainwheel wells too.

Here are the assembled cockpit with the coaming just visible, and the nosegear well. The general cockpit colour is Humbrol 109 (WWI blue) with two coats of Winsor & Newton emerald ink, which provides its own shading. Then some pale grey dry-brushed for the highlights. Other details follow photo references in World Air Power Journal vol.8 and International Air Power Review vol.14. You can see the high level of moulded detail, but what you can’t see is how thin the side panels are; nor how long it took to persuade the rear panel to fit to the side panels, and them to fit to the instrument panel. The seat fits fine but I’m sure the control column is in the wrong place – yet it’s in the only place where it would fit. The instructions were no help. You get a scrap of paper about the size of the motto in a Christmas cracker, with a hazily reproduced illustration of the parts taking up most of the space and an assembly diagram that consists of all the pieces pointing at the cockpit floor. Compared with the quality of the resin, they’re awful. The headrest isn’t gloss black, that’s a fluke of the lighting. The seat is in one piece and is exquisite.

Another view of the nosegear well. There’s lots of wiring in there, some of which may eventually connect to the nosegear.

Top view of the main fuselage sub-assembly. The wings are fully painted, panel lines inked in, Klear and decals applied. Why? Because I had the idea that it would be nice to leave the wings mobile, but to do that I’d want them fully painted so bare bits didn’t show when they were extended. Then the black paint that adds some depth to the openings started to rub off and the openings themselves started to scratch the paintwork … it’s staying fully swept from now on. Colours: Humbrol 103 cream, 186 brown and 159 khaki drab; Citadel brown ink for the panel lines. I’ll explain the “airbrush” effect a bit later, as I forgot to take progress pictures.

And the underside. You may just be able to make out a hole cut out among the pressure relief holes under the engine – this will take some PE details later. Colour: White Ensign RLM 76, which is lovely to work with.

Close-up of the maingear wells, with the Eduard details. You hopefully can’t quite see where I cut out the wrong corner and had to fill it again. The white stuff is correction fluid for filler.

That's it so far. More follows, I hope.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
Well I had a week of work last week and start tinkering with getting the cockpit and nose section to fit the fuselage of my Tomcat and suddenly it was ready for painting. (i got that carried away I didn't get many pictures, sorry)

Here's some shots of the cockpit area.

and after the coat of primer this morning

Hopefully i'll get some of the preshading done tomorrow

Cheers

Allen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
Sean and Allen: That's both quality and progress! Good to see several projects started, I have hardly left the planning stage myself...

Magnus
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi all!

Looks like i´m late to the party again!

But I have decided on my build and actually have started building!

It´s an well-known old friend, the Italeri Tornado IDS.

But what sold this kit to me was the fantastic paint scheme;

Usually the major drawback of Italeri kits are the decals, but in this kit they are made by Cartograph so quality should be ensured!
Decals are luxury glossy, printed with vibrant colors and are in perfect register.

Italeri offers four colorful, different and well choosen paint-schemes, on a very large decal sheet.

But the Panther scheme is the one for me!

Beautifully printed on a separate sheet;

I have started assembly with the wings, pylons and tanks.

More pics when I have something to show!

Cheers!

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP