_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Steinhäuser's Triplane
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Stephen do you have info on this plane I've seen a picture of his crashed DVII but not his tripe just a profile.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Greetings Steve;
Ltn. Steinhäuser had two Dr.I types we know of. Here is a 1/72 scale build by master modeler Steve Hustad. As seen on the streaked Camouflage thread here. The cowling has yellow details for "eyes" and "eyebrows."

I was just looking at my 1/48 scale version of the same Blue Rider decals about today ago. In discussions that I have had previously with historian and all round good fellow Greg vanWyngarden, he believes that Steinhaüser had at least two of these birds marked similarly where the colours were reversed. Dr.I 564/17 it had a yellow band with a red X. Steinhaüser himself is swinging the propeller for a fellow Jasta 11 pilot evidently borrowing this machine for a patrol.

The other had a red cowling and fuselage band with a yellow "X" on the fuselage band and face details on the cowling. The tail on this was factory camouflage at one point and as Greg discusses here may hve been painted further at a later time.

From Greg VanWyngarden, ". . .It was the first Dr.I of Ltn. Werner Steinhäuser, which had a yellow X on the red fuselage band, and red cowling, wheels and struts. The red cowling had faint "eyes" and eyebrows painted around the cooling holes, probably in yellow. The rudder was white, and I now think the tailplane was probably painted in yellow and red stripes like on his later triplane 564/17. These stripes may have been applied horizontally to the fuselage beneath the tailplane, but this is impossible to confirm from the photo. . ."

Ltn. Werner Steinhäuser came from AFP 4 on 17 Nov 1917.
On 17 March 1918 was WIA. Came back from Hospital on 2 April 1918 and on 26 June 1918 he was KIA at 8.00 hours over Neuilly. There may be more in "Over the Lines."

redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Thank's again Stephen all I have is the profile in Greg's book Richthofen's circus.
 _GOTOTOP