_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
NEWS
Meteor Productions Out Of Business
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:28 AM UTC
Meteor Productions, Inc., Will Cease Business

Quoted Text

"Meteor''s FINAL THREE SELLING DAYS!

"This is not a joke.

"After fifteen years of serving the modeling community with superior decals & resin conversions, Meteor Productions, Inc., will cease business operations at 8 AM, Monday, February 18th, 2008. We are closing due to factors entirely unrelated to this Company, the hobby, the hobby industry, and the general business environment.

"I want you to know how much I have enjoyed and appreciated my many years of working with so many fine people in America and around the world. You have been wonderful and I''m privileged to have known you. May God bless you.

"(However, I''m not likely to miss the seven-day workweeks, 16-19 hours per day!)

"Good luck and good modeling!

Dave Klaus"

Link to Item

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT FOR FINAL SALES
We have always worked on behalf of and in favor of our clients, so we're going out the door still supporting the modelers who supported us and gave us 15 wonderful years. From now until 8 AM Monday morning, we will accept orders ONLY from our existing clients in good standing. We'll ship all paid orders processed as of 8 AM Monday no later than Tuesday, February 19th.

ORDERS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS CANNOT BE PROCESSED

Meteor Productions, Inc.

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
I realy hope this is a joke. Meteor was one of the best out there. ARC forums are on fire with this news. I hope they are back soon, or someone picks up their Molds and continues their lines of products. I will iss their great cockpit sets. I guess I'm left with Black Box that don't fit the kits without many hours of sanding and shaping. Stug
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 07:19 PM UTC
Isn't this the company that was the focus of a controversy over such things as refusing to sell to people who criticized the product or lack of delivery? IIRC, among other things, there were some major personal problems going on in the owner's life. And there was something about holding back part of the limited production runs to be sold on E-bay because some customers had re-sold his product this way.
In the end, it's too bad. He seemed to have a lot of neat stuff in the pipeline.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 08:40 PM UTC
I received this email in my inbox this morning as well.

I sort of thought there might be a going out of business sale, but apparently not.

I thought it odd that there was no mention of them closing on the website (at least when I looked).
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC
Sad to learn they are shutting down, I have had very good service from them the last few years and liked their product lines.
I hope they can resume operations at some point in the future.

Matrixone
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Yeah, it's pretty sad. I've had some great service from them, and put in a last big order following receipt of the e-mail in question. While I haven't done any of their big conversions (though I have their Privateer and B-29/Chinese AWACS conversions in the stash), I've found their decals and cockpit sets to be fantastic. And they didn't charge the earth for postage, which is important when you're down here in Australia!!! cheers Brad
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
Sad news indeed, I was surprised to read this email last night. i only started dealing with them last year and the service was out standing. Unfortunately the site is no longer taking orders so it looks like i won't be able to get hold of those PYN decals I've had my eye on I just hope that things will work out and they'll make a comeback or someone else takes on the business.
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 07:49 AM UTC
I was just reading on the ARC temp Fourms, that Dave K is going through a nasty divorce and his wife wants half of the business and it appears Dave doesn't want to give her half.....
jstplncrz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
Any updates on the Cutting Edge "disaster" Has anyone accepted the challenge of buying his company out or has anyone taken up the banner of producing the same products with the same accuracy and quality?? Or does anyone know who is selling "similar" replacements/fixes for the Accurate Miniatures 1:48 B-25 cowlings? Thanks
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any updates on the Cutting Edge "disaster" Has anyone accepted the challenge of buying his company out or has anyone taken up the banner of producing the same products with the same accuracy and quality?? Or does anyone know who is selling "similar" replacements/fixes for the Accurate Miniatures 1:48 B-25 cowlings? Thanks

They had many very good products, but they were very expensive! Principal Dave Klaus was quirky, to say the least. His marketing reminded me of a vintage Carnival Barker:

I'll never forget the time I got an ad from him trashing some of his own products in favor of "new improved versions."

These days I think of Meteor kind of like Verlinden. State of the art once, but long since surpassed by Vector, Ultracast, Barracuda, and Aries, to name just a few. I'm pretty sure there is more than one replacement cowling set out there for the AM B-25: i.e., Quickboost, D-Mold, etc.

My biggest Meteor disappointment was those 1/48 B-17F noses that never were! Talk about dashed expectations!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
[/url=http://dmold-modelworks.com/index.html]Dmold[/url] is a Company the meteor farmed work to and they still produce some of the item that were in the Cutting edge catalog.
 _GOTOTOP