Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Pro Modeler P-47N build
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Well, I'm finally going to get a plane going again. I wanted to do something I had some extra parts for because I don't see a point in building a model and not trying to make it as accurate as possible (it's all that more fun). So I have the 1:48 pro modeler P-47N. I would like to replicate Gabby Gabreski's plane, but I don't feel like modding to a D model. So I'll just go with the box design (I need to practice anyway since It's my first plane in a while). So here's the kit. A lot of you probably already know the fit and what not, and since it's an old kit there's really no reason for me to review it, so I'll just update you guys on my progress, and willingly accept criticism and suggestions! thanks guys.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Eric.
Welcome to Aeroscale
Good to see a P47 N for a change amongst all the D's.
Im looking forward to seeing how the promodeller kit goes together.
Although you dont feel like doing a D version, Id personally think twice about making your N a "Gabreski" model. If you feel like doing something different with an N why not try doing a National Guard finish?
At the end of the day though, its your model and you can paint it any colour you like
Have you visited the P47 "club" here on Aeroscale? Its the place to ask all your Thuderbolt related questions.
You'll find it HERE
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I would just make Gabby's plane in an N. I like the national guard Idea though. Do you know of a decal set I could use? I'll definitely look into that, thanks.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I would just make Gabby's plane in an N. I like the national guard Idea though. Do you know of a decal set I could use? I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Hi again

Aeromaster do a nice decal sheet for P-47N's in the Hawaiian National Guard. Might even order myself a copy

AMD 48553
Nige
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
Welcome.

P-47s really have a lot of AM decals out there. You have the opportunity to add a lot of color to your build.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC
you talked me into it, and those aeromasters are on the way to my doorstep. I have a couple updates of the cockpit to see what you guys think, but my camera no longer likes to take pictures with the macro setting, so I have to wait til my fiance's charges up. I'll see if I can't get them up tonight. This is my first time ever really working with photo etch, and I need some advice.

Actually, I can ask those questions now. please help me out:

1) Should I primer the brass before I paint it?
2) What paints should I be using with PE

I used to be a big MM paint fan, but I'm thinking of kinda slowly switching my collection over to Tamiya paints? is it worth it? I don't have experience with any paints other than MM.

Thanks for the help guys!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi Eric.
I usually paint pe with enamels,but dont use it very often. The only regular pe I use is pre painted seatbelts
Cant help you with the second part of your question as Ive never used MM acrylics.
I do like Tamiya acrylics though
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
well I've actually always used Model Masters Enamels, never the acrylics. I always felt they dried better and more consistent. I think I also kinda based my decision on how much I hated Pro Modeler acrylics back in the day, and I vowed never to use acrylics because I hated them so much. I know Tamiya probably makes good paints though, so since I'm at school and I have none of my paints from home with me, I'm thinking about just starting a new collection of Tamiya paints. I just want to make sure that's what I should be painting photo etch with.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you talked me into it, and those aeromasters are on the way to my doorstep. I have a couple updates of the cockpit to see what you guys think, but my camera no longer likes to take pictures with the macro setting, so I have to wait til my fiance's charges up. I'll see if I can't get them up tonight. This is my first time ever really working with photo etch, and I need some advice.

Actually, I can ask those questions now. please help me out:

1) Should I primer the brass before I paint it?
2) What paints should I be using with PE

I used to be a big MM paint fan, but I'm thinking of kinda slowly switching my collection over to Tamiya paints? is it worth it? I don't have experience with any paints other than MM.

Thanks for the help guys!

If your PE parts are not accepting paint, try dipping them in Vinegar for about a minute. This will clean and mildly etch a porous surface onto the PE so the paint can grab on easier. RINSE with water afterwards. The PE will discolor but thats okay...your painting it anyway.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC
Having trouble getting things going here. busy schedule and this cockpit isn't my favorite. I think that I should have stuck with the kit cockpit, I'm not really satisfied with this PE. but it's too late now, so I'll just have to finish it. here's where I am...

The tub before bending with some of the panels laid in

here's the tub all bent up with the pieces in except the obvious things.

I'm going to paint with Tamiya, what color do I need to use for the main green?

Which seat do you think I'm gonna use?

the new bulkhead...

Please criticize me, I need some new lessons. I am out of practice. I'm beginning to remember why I'd have 5 started projects and it would take me forever to actually finish one. I'm going to try to stick with this one til it's done. (maybe switch to my automobile project briefly). wait, no, I have to stick with this one!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
No critisism from me
Im saving that for when the build stalls and youve moved onto something else, and then i'll bug you to get the P-47 finished
For the cockpit interior I use Humbrol 117.
Keep up the good work.
Nige
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 02:25 PM UTC
Hi Eric,

Even though it is an old kit--not that old though--I noticed nobody else has reviewed it here. I encourage you to do so. Old kit or new release, it will always be a new kit for someone who has never built it before. I have read reviews on-line and in books. I'd like to see your assessment.

Republic painted their cockpits a medium green. This is, however, open to controversy. P-47s built by Curtiss had zinc green/cockpit green; Curtiss didn't build Ns, and all of theirs were the P-47G, a product so bad that none were allowed overseas.

Looking forward to your updates,

Fred
Removed by original poster on 01/31/08 - 18:34:04 (GMT).
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:33 PM UTC
Alright Nigel, my build has stalled, and I need yours or someone's help to get me off the ground again.

I was examining what color to use for the interior of the N and I've seen a lot of conflicting information. When I went to the hobby store the local IPMS WW2 guru told me to go with Interior green, and that was one of the colors I was told to use by other sources too. Of course the kit instructions say dark dull green, but what I've also found out is that the P-47Ns that were in service with the National Guard had their cockpits repainted Flat Black. Do you know if this is true? I think I might just go ahead and paint the cockpit black then, making things a lot easier! Also, the wheel wells and what not, they should be zinc chromate yellow, correct? that seems to be one thing i find common with all my sources, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the help, I really want to get this thing going but I wanna do it right, you guys know what I mean.

After some dry fitting, I think I'm going to be spending a signifigant amount of time getting this fuselage to mate up right and be flush. wish me luck, as I think I will have many hours into fitting adjusting and unfortunately probably filling.

Happy almost Groundhog Day
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi Eric.
Ive replied to this in the SIG thread.
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:21 PM UTC
Alright, well, I didn't get too far this weekend (ForTran Programming took it's toll on me). Anyway, Here's what my desk looks like right now. I am anxiously anticipating some time alone in my room so I can get the yellow zinc and the interior green sprayed, followed up by some future.

That also brings up a question for me. It seems to have slipped my mind, but what should I thin Future down with? is water ok? or do I need to use alcohol?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi Eric.
No need to thin Future. It sprays fine straight from the bottle.
I usually brush it on. If you keep the coats very light and brush slowly you wont get any air bubbles or other nastiness.
To clean the brush I use water, but if Ive airbrushed it I shoot some isopropyl alcohol ( or Tamiya thinners) through.
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC
Well, I hit a quite serious snag in my build. it appears that once I got the fuselage halves together I realized that the panel lines on the belly of the right side of the fuselage were all distorted, and actually not really lines but more or less serious steps in the plastic. regardless, it was messed up. Therefore, I made it my mission at BlizzardCon (Columbus IPMS chapter contest) today to find another N, and I came home with the Academy version. Looks like a very nice kit, and I can't wait to get started, after I finish something a little smaller to get my practice up again. I'll be starting a new build thread for it (as it's not a "Pro Modeler" anymore!)

Hope I didn't upset you Nige, but i promise, i will build a Bubbletop jug this year!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hi Eric.
Thats a shame to hear you have had issues with the Pro Modeller Kit, but at least you have the Academy N to replace it. A word of caution,,...Academy decals...I always throw them away and use AM decals. But then youve got the ANG decals for this if I remember right.
All the Academy kits Ive built have gone together really well. The P-47 shouldnt give you any problems.
Have fun!...thats what the hobbys all about.
Nige
 _GOTOTOP