_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
French Colourcoats
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 07:57 PM UTC
[quote...it just kind of stuck.[/quote]

Groan! But, nice one! That's a much nicer visual image.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

"flypaper" didn't made me think of an insecticide but more of something like that...

It would make a nice avatar wouldn't it?

Jean-Luc
flypaper
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan!

"flypaper" didn't made me think of an insecticide but more of something like that...

It would make a nice avatar wouldn't it?

Jean-Luc

Hello Jean-Luc

I once worked on an avatar a lot like the one above, but mine had 2 big multi-lensed eyes (cockpit) and 6 legs (landing gear).

Cheers
Flypaper.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I once worked on an avatar a lot like the one above, but mine had 2 big multi-lensed eyes (cockpit) and 6 legs (landing gear).

Uhhh.... flypaper, I prefer to see you the other way!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

with a bit of research........

Red=Humbrol Red 60 with a touch of 20 Crimson.
Blue= Humbrol Blue 89 with a touch of Blue 109 and a drop of Green 88, to give it the Grey tint that was carried by the thinners, (or leave out the Green 88 for a purer color.).if you can get it Molaks LMU9 Sky Blue is even closer.

These are the starting mixes and will go a way in giving you what you want.

Information is from DTU publishing house "Dewoitine D520", page 90, chapter LE CAMOUFLAGE.

Thanks, and very useful but the info I'm looking for is the size of roundels, do any of these books contain the info? I have information on British Roundels but none at all on French. British roundels went through phases, sizes ratios etc, did the French ones? Were the sizes set in stone or were they applied to "fit"? Are just a couple of the million and one questions I will need answers too, if I'm to make accurate masks

Mal
flypaper
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
Just a quick reply to let you know I've read your question. At the start of the war the FAF was instructed to use a mini-sized cockade on the top of the wing, this was done for camouflage reasons, the cockade was supposed to vanish into the wing when viewed from a predetermined distance, clever, but the problem was it was so good that in the heat of air to air combat French aircraft were brought down or fired at by there own country men. FAF HQ then went to a larger cockade. I have only seen photos of the mini cockade on 4 FAF front line aircraft, the MS-406, H-75, Caudron C714, and Potez 63/631, of course these were the A/C that were available at the outbreak of the war. When the new order was given to go to the larger cockade some CO's weren't sure if that meant that the smaller cockade should be removed as well, so to play it safe they kept the smaller cockade after adding the larger one, This seemed to be more prevalent in the Potez units, so now you have some French A/C flying with 4 cockades on the upper wings.

As far as sizes go I will look that up and get back to you.

Flypaper.
flypaper
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

with a bit of research........

Red=Humbrol Red 60 with a touch of 20 Crimson.
Blue= Humbrol Blue 89 with a touch of Blue 109 and a drop of Green 88, to give it the Grey tint that was carried by the thinners, (or leave out the Green 88 for a purer color.).if you can get it Molaks LMU9 Sky Blue is even closer.

These are the starting mixes and will go a way in giving you what you want.

Information is from DTU publishing house "Dewoitine D520", page 90, chapter LE CAMOUFLAGE.

Thanks, and very useful but the info I'm looking for is the size of roundels, do any of these books contain the info? I have information on British Roundels but none at all on French. British roundels went through phases, sizes ratios etc, did the French ones? Were the sizes set in stone or were they applied to "fit"? Are just a couple of the million and one questions I will need answers too, if I'm to make accurate masks

Mal

Hello Mal

The mini-cockade iused from 38 to 39 was 30cm. top of wing only
The cockade adopted August 39 was 120cm. top and bottom of the wing.
The proportions were blue 2--whie 4--red 6 on all.

You must remember that early in the war the FAF did NOT use cockades on the fuselauge, the 120 cm. cockade was for the wing only at that point of time. The FAF went through several marking changes right up to the end of the Vichy Air Force.

Hope that helps.
Flypaper.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thank you Very Much, most informative Is there a book or a web site that you know of where I might obtain any further info?

Thanks again.

Mal
flypaper
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 04:51 PM UTC
Hello Mal

Just check back to a post I addressed to Jean-Luc, I gave him the titles of 2 recent publications that will cover most of what is needed about the Camo and colors, and other tid-bits.

Cheers
Flypaper
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Flypaper

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the extra info! As you'll have guessed from my review, I've never come across any of those sources in the UK. I'll certainly keep an eye out for them!

..I'm going to chip in here since none of the refs mentioned by flypaper include my friends at LeLa Presse - they have a great (English speaking) mail order service aside from publishing Avions magazine and their own book series. Shortly about to go to print is a superlative 450 page volume (800 photos- detailed English-language captions) on the Curtiss H-75 in French service. Their (English) catalogue is here

http://www.avions-bateaux.com/en/catalogue.html

flypaper
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hello Niel,

"Avions", I think its a fantastic magazine, along with "Air Magazine", "Air Fan" "Wing Masters" and "Replic", I didnt mention it (them) because the question was which would I suggest for information on French camouflage. The "DTU" and "Aero Publication" mags I mentioned have what is needed all in one shot. Thats all.

Gheers
Flypaper.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 07:53 AM UTC
Thanks again, I will look out for copies

Mal