Panel line washes on black
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I'm about 75% done on my Academy 1/72 Hurricane Mk IIc. Only decaling and weathering remains.

I've painted the underwings matt black, since my plane is 1942 make, and the instruction sheet also says so .

Question is, how do I highlight panel lines against a black background? AFAIK, I can go in for one of these approaches:
1. Scratch out the black in the panel lines with a needle, and leave it as such.
2. Repeat step 1, but also fill in silver paint with the needle.
3. Use diluted light gray acrylic paint with a sludge wash technique?

Help appreciated. TIA.
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:29 PM UTC
This is an area that I have not got into, yet. Partly because I'm unsure of the best approach. Personally I wouldn't scratch the paint out of the panel lines. My thoughts on this have been along these lines; use very dark grey instead of black, and wash with black (to late for that). Paint black and wash with very dark grey, or paint black and wash with a mix of dark grey and burnt umber. Silver or light grey just wouldn't look right IMHO.
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:45 PM UTC
Maybe you could try lightly dry brushing very dark grey over the panel lines just to give a slight tonal change on the panel leaving the recessed panel black. If you do it lightly it could allow the panel lines to show without obviously affecting the black camouflage paint.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
One of the guys in the club just finised Tamiya's F-117. He accented the lines with a different sheen. I think he left the main body with just slightly more reflective that the panel lines.
You might try using some very dark gray pastels along the panels.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
Well, I'm not actually sure you should accent the panel lines at all. I did a search on google and looked through some images of black painted aircraft I could think of: B-1, B-2, B-52 and F-117 and didn't see any prominent panel lines on black painted aircraft. Maybe a light drybrushing of grey followed by aluminum in the high wear areas would be appropriate. Not sure.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

black painted aircraft I could think of: B-1, B-2, B-52 and F-117 .

Of these, only the F-117 and maybe the B-2 are black. The B-2 may be a very dark gray, but I'm not sure, having only seen one IRL as it flew at cloud base near Bradley International a few years ago.The others are Gunship gray (FS36118), the standard Air Force color. They look darker because they are often seen against a bright background. On the ground, the color will appear to vary from almost a light gray to very dark gray, depending on the brightness of the day.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your opinions. Will try and let you know !

Cheers,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP