_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Aeroscale P-47 Thunderbolt SIG
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscales first Special Interest Group (SIG).

This thread is dedicated to the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.

Many build threads have raised different questions which have come up while researching P-47 builds, which by the continual movement of the forum threads eventually move down the archives.
The P-47 SIG is a way of keeping everything Thunderbolt related together in one place, and of course to post photos of your P-47's.
Feel free to post any relevent links and photos,use the SIG as a place to ask questions about Thunderbolts, detail photo requests, paint schemes and markings, in fact,anything P-47 related.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC
To start things off, heres a list of links to P-47 related reviews on Aeroscale.
Kits
HobbyBoss 1:72 P-47D Bubbletop
Revell 1:72 P-47M
Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Bubbletop
Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Razorback
Trumpeter 1:32 P-47D Razorback
Hasegawa 1:32 P-47D Bubbletop

Detail Sets
True Details 1:48 P-47 Resin Cockpit

Decals
EagleCal # 104 Bubbletops
EagleCal #105 Bubbletops

Books
Kagero #17 Republic P-47 Vol 1
Periscopio Publications P-47D Thunderbolt

More links to be added in the future.

You can never have too many reviews,on any subject. Reviews can be submitted via the link in the Aeroscale Reviews page.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC
Time for a roll call of completed P-47s!
Post your photos here, and if theres a build thread please add a link.
I'll start it off with my first attempt at a nmf.Built last summer.

build thread
Nige
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:28 AM UTC
A couple of 1/72 oldies but goodies (built over ten years ago)
The checkerboard cowl is made with individual black decal squares over a solid color.

airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
Ok Nige
Here`s my Revell 1/32 after a few mods in the right place now
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
stunning Jugs my friends i´ll give you that

Here you have the first of questions for this sig. I´m looking for information about the opening mechanism for the canopy.
The Jug hava one opener on the port side but two on the other side. as I know from the older P-35 the first one from the tailfin is the locker and the second is the opener for the canopy. can anyone confirm this, as I´m build in 32-scale The opener will need to be out if the canopy is open?
Lars
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Great photos guys!
Keep them coming

Hi Lars.
Thats a tough one to start off with
Can you post a photo indicating the exact area your refering to.
Im thinking that perhaps your thinking of the spring clip hand holds just below the cockpit. There are two on the port side and one on the starboard side.
On the first picture you can see them in the open position.The crew chief has his hand on one.

The only other visible way I can see of opening the canopy from the outside is what looks like a strap on each side of the bottom frame of the canopy.This was labelled "escape panel release"
You can see it in the second photo.

I didnt realise they started training P-47 pilots so young!
I hope this is the detail youre looking for,,if not ..I'll just try again,,LOL.
Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
Yep, It´s that Ive mean. On the old P-35 they look like this

(If this don´t work)
http://larsqvarfordt.fotopic.net/p2814823.html

it would be nice to get it rigth from the beginning.
Lars
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, It´s that Ive mean. On the old P-35 they look like this

(If this don´t work)
http://larsqvarfordt.fotopic.net/p2814823.html

it would be nice to get it rigth from the beginning.
Lars

Hi Lars
Yep,,they are hand holds.

If you look very closely you can just about make out " H A N" on the photo.Part of the original stencil I guess.
Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thats a swedish stencil for Hand, That´s hand in english to
Just looking in tha Aero detail book and they told me that´s these I mentioned in the first question just is the handholds, So that leave me to belive that the locker itself is positioned on the frame of the canopy.
correct ne if I´m wrong please

Larsa
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
For those interested in detail the P-47 cockpit, you may wish to view some of the following ?

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/P47Stuff.html
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC
Great,,Im learning Swedish,,
Looking closely at photos of canopies I cant see any locking system, and I think its highly unlikely that there was a way to lock a canopy from the outside,or even from the inside for that matter.Trying to "unlock" a canopy in a cockpit filled with smoke,oil,and all other manner of horribleness would definately not be on my list of things to try out!
Like all aircraft with sliding canopies, the P-47 had a small handle at the front of the sliding section. You can see it here, just above the headrest.

Hope this answers your question Lars.
Nige

Great link Chuck!
Lars,check out the "Canopy Catch Release" photo
Unfortunately the link for "Canopy Emergency Exit" doesnt seem to work, but there are some fabulous images there. Thanks for posting it!
Nige
:-H
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Jepp, I´ve got it Nige. Thank you very much Chuck for the kink, That´s helpful. Just love this SIg thing.
Larsa

ps perhaps we can go over to Swedish soon then Nige?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:46 AM UTC
Nigel

When are you going to do one of the new 1/32 kits?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel

When are you going to do one of the new 1/32 kits?

Hi Carl
At the moment theres a Mustang on the bench
Next planned build is probably the 1:48 (my first non 1:72 build) Tamiya Razorback. This is going to be a special build and be given away when its finished. After that Im going to be doing the Hasegawa Bubbletop. Im collecting various AM bits and pieces for it at the moment.
The speed I build at dont expect them to be finished all that soon I'll probably be fluent in Swedish by the time theyre finished.
Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:34 PM UTC
Contact Resine Wheel for The thunderbolt
Yesterday I´ve got them by mail from Spada decals who sell these to.The prize is 10 Euro, and they come with or witout hubcaps.
All modellers that have seen weighted wheels before will of course not be any surprised. The Trumpeter Jug has those in my mind not so fun rubberwheels, so I´ve just have to replace them. CR stats that these wheels will fit both the Hasegawa and the Trumpeter, and I’m sure they do when you have drilled the back side to the correct diameter for the landinggear. This is not a big deal, so average skill will do the job with a drillbit.Here you have some pics of them, and a comparrision with the Trumpeter, Hasegawa wheel.

The diamond pattern is sharp and nice cast so just a little sanding on them to bring them down for a more worn look in my case. If you want them to be more of brand new....

Larsa
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Lampie wrote:
Quoted Text

Time for a roll call of completed P-47s!

Hi Nigel!

Firstly - I just love your P-47 in SEAC markings! I hope that Platz will have their 1/144 P-47D out on the market in time to include one of those babies in my "Rumble in the far east" campaign project. I've found a site where i can buy the SEAC decals in 1/144 (if I don't get the Thunderbolt in time, I will most likely use a Hawker Hurricane from Sweet instead)! I don't think I'm going to opt for NMF though. Rather something like this...

Now, regarding completed P-47:s, one might think that such a request would pose a problem for someone who - until very recently - only built aircraft that flew in the Swedish Airforce. Don't forget, however, that Armorama had a "what if"-campaign ("Double take") a while ago...

Thus, here is my completed P-47D (as well as a very comprised - and completely fake - background story);

The Swedish need for combat aircraft was great during the mid 40's, especially with regard to fighers. In October of 1944, Swedish officers went to England to study possible aircrafts that could be obtained. During the fall of 1944, the Swedes made a request regarding the possible purchase of P-51D Mustangs and/or P-47 Thunderbolt. The Mustangs were stationed in Uppsala and given the designation "J26". (...this much is true...) The intention was to also equip F4 at Frösön (Northern Sweden) with Mustangs. However, in 1945, reports came that the officers of the north liked the more "portly" Thunderbolt better. In comparison, the Mustang looked almost like a "sissy aircraft" (which could be ok for southerners and cityfolks, but not for the people of the North). Further, they wanted an aircraft that could land in country "where there are no roads". Besides, the wife of the officer in charge of purchases had a figure that was quite reminicent of the P-47...

The aircraft received the official designation of J27 "Åskbollen", but was often called "Dunderbulten" by the Swedes. Despite strict orders from headquarters that the Åskbolle was only to be used as a fighter aircraft, the officers at F4 could not refrain themselves from using it as a bomber (they even renamed it from "J27" to "B27"). The military headquarters got mighty crossed, and threatened to take the planes back, unless the officers "stopped playing with them...".

The final blow for Åskbollen was, however, when local media revealed that they had been repeatedly used for hunting elk in the northern woods. The explanation given by the locals (i.e. that nothing else can bring down the mighty moose of the North) was ignored. There was even a photo in one of the papers of a P-47 - all dirty with broken off branches of trees etc - with the corps of the large animal displayed on the "hood" of the aircraft.

Headquarters did everything to silence the story and conducted one of the most extensive cover-up operations in Swedish history (saying i.e. that F-4 also bought Mustangs!). The last Swedish Åskbolle flew in March 1954. Most were melted down and used for dental braces during th 60's and 70's .

One of the few remaining evidence of the J27, a 1950's picture taken during one of them famous elk hunts!

Cheers, and good luck with the SIG!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 03:07 AM UTC

This is my 1/72 scale P-47M I built a couple of years ago. It is painted in 56th fighter group 63 fighter squadron colors. I liked the blue coloration. Enjoy. Russell
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC

This is my 1/72 scale P-47D Razorback, in 325 fighter group markings. This group was based in Foggia, Italy at the time they flew Jugs. Enjoy. Russell
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
The SIGS really getting into gear now.
Thanks for the contributions everybody,,keep them coming!
Lars.
Thanks for the excellent comparison photos Of the kit parts, the Hasegawa one seems to have the edge over Trumpeter, but those resin weighted wheels really look the business!
Bjorn.
Your Swedish P-47 looks great. In those markings it reminds me of the look of some of the South American Thunderbolts. Great story as well, Hunting elk with a P-47,,now theres a thought! I know which side my money would be on Thanks for the kind words about my RAF T'bolt. Im very pleased with how its turned out.
Russell.
Very colourfull Thunderbolts, thanks for posting them I cant think of another WW2 subject that carried such a variety of markings as the P-47. Is the "M" the Revell kit?
Nige
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:08 PM UTC
Yes Lampie, the M is the Revell of Germany kit. I picked it up at a local hobby shop several years back. You have got to love that two tone blue camoflauge. I used Polly Scale blue, and British Azure blue and painted the underside of the machine aluminum.
You are right, the Jug came in some many various colors. It is also forgotten often what an important role it played in defeating the Luftwaffe in fall/winter '43 and spring '44.
I take nothing away from the Mustang just think sometimes it gets overplayed sometimes. Take care. Russell
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Here are a couple of Jugs. They are 1/48 scale Tamiya offerings.

Thanks for the thread Lampie. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
Well, great idea Nigel.
Here are some pics of my Thunderbolts.
Academy 1/72

Academy 1/72

Academy 1/48

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
What a great bunch of photos to wake up to this morning
"The Wolfpack Is Coming",,,what a great diorama. You can almost hear the roar of the engines. How did you achieve the spinning prop effect?
I was wondering how long it would be before you discovered the thread Carlos. Thanks for posting the pics.A really nice selection you have there. I think your also the only person I know that doesnt have problems with the infamous Academy decals!
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:05 PM UTC
Seeing the Wolfpack diorama reminded me that I was going to post a few photos from where it all happened. Im fortunate to live relatively close to all the sites of former Thunderbolt bases, and as visiting old airfields is another hobby of mine its no hardship to have a days drive out and take a few pictures of what remains. The Lincolnshire bomber bases are closer to my home and Ive got lots of photos of them, but as this is a Thunderbolt thread I wont include them here.
Halesworth, as many of you will know, was the third English airfield that the 56th FG, Zemkes Wolfpack was based at.
Theres a museum there now,which is well worth a visit. Nearby are memorials to the units based there during WW2.
This is the "Wolfpack" memorial.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP