_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tamiya F4U-1A Birdcage
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
This was built for the group build a while ago and I'm just now getting pics done. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
Excellent F4U! I really like the subtle boundary between the 2 tone blues. Is that a popsicle stick carrier deck?? I have one myself built very similar to that. Did you use any stain or seal it in any way?? Looks good!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC
Superbly built. I love the base as the old carrier deck
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
nice kit, looks great, very nice work

Bender
War_Machine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
Constructive criticism? What is there to criticize? That's a real beaut! You gotta love those bent-winged birds!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent F4U! I really like the subtle boundary between the 2 tone blues. Is that a popsicle stick carrier deck?? I have one myself built very similar to that. Did you use any stain or seal it in any way?? Looks good!

That is the infamous popsicle stick carrier deck. It was just a hair brained idea I had plus it was a lot cheaper than buying one of those prefab ones. I picked up a box of 1000 sticks at Michaels for something like $3 so I've got plenty to make more flight decks. Plus they make excellent paint stirers and when sandpaper is glued to them-great sanding sticks for tight spots. After I painted the white stripes on the deck I went back and put a dark wash on it using burnt sienna oil paint.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:38 AM UTC
Does that thing have a hemi? SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
Very nice corsair you got there ...are you sure they were carrier based??

Rick
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
Hi Tin, I seen this bird at Richmond and all I can say is.........

These pictures don't do it justice !!!!! Its a mighty fine looking F4U !!!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice corsair you got there ...are you sure they were carrier based??

Rick

Rick, the corsair was originally produced as a carrier born aircraft but after some problems encountered with landing them they were transferred to service from the shore. Towards the end of the war they migrated back to the carrier after problems were fixed.

Quoted Text

These pictures don't do it justice !!!!! Its a mighty fine looking F4U !!!

Thanks Penny.
shermanfreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC
The Corsair was always one of my favourite aircraft of W.W.II and you've captured it beautifully here Tin Can. A most excellent finished product and the flight deck adds to the whole picture. :-)
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:03 PM UTC

Constructive criticism ??? , Hmm - Tin_Can - I dream about My Corsair - that's I already started looks like Your's , I just wanna say ( simple ) It's Beauty !!!

Best Regards
Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Corsair was always one of my favourite aircraft of W.W.II and you've captured it beautifully here Tin Can. A most excellent finished product and the flight deck adds to the whole picture. :-)

Thanks Robert. I don't like my models to just 'simply' set on the shelf but like to add a little life to them and a base is the easiest way to do it, I think.

Quoted Text

Constructive criticism ??? , Hmm - Tin_Can - I dream about My Corsair - that's I already started looks like Your's , I just wanna say ( simple ) It's Beauty !!!

Thanks Tomcat.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
Bryan, that is an excellent Corsair. I love the paint job, and the "chipped paint" effect looks great. Which method did you use to accomplish that? Your "popsicle" deck looks terrific, and I am going to promptly steal that idea for my next "wingy thing." Good job.

Mike

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
:-) Verrrrrrrry nice Corsair Tin_Can, I'm doing a Marine birdcage F4 for the Corsair build. Mine will be in the 2 tone grey scheme and have it's wings folded. I too like your carrier deck
:-)
Mal
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bryan, that is an excellent Corsair. I love the paint job, and the "chipped paint" effect looks great. Which method did you use to accomplish that? Your "popsicle" deck looks terrific, and I am going to promptly steal that idea for my next "wingy thing." Good job.
Mike

The 'chipped paint' effect was done by using a silver gel pen from my wife's scrapbooking supplies. Just touching it to a rivet or panel line makes the ink flow pretty easily for a great effect. The pens are pretty inexpensive and can be gotten at most craft stores or specialty scrapbook stores.

Quoted Text

Verrrrrrrry nice Corsair Tin_Can, I'm doing a Marine birdcage F4 for the Corsair build. Mine will be in the 2 tone grey scheme and have it's wings folded. I too like your carrier deck.

Thanks Mal. Can't wait to see your Corsair based on all your other work.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:15 PM UTC
Brian, Sorry that I post late, this is one beautiful bird. I like the way you painted it and weatherings. Looked excellent.

Only criticism I have is that some more close up pictures will be nice, really wanna see the cockpit pictures from you experts.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:20 PM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

Thanks Mal. Can't wait to see your Corsair based on all your other work.

I'll post a few in progress pics. Dave Aungst's feature gave me food for thought, like lightening the fabric covered areas. I'm also agonising over whether or not the internal flap areas should be Interior green or camo colour?
Your pics have given me the nudge to get on with it, thanks :-)
Mal
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Bryan, great looking Corsair! The paintjob looks awesome, as does the chipped paint and weathering!

A few questions about the carrier deck:
-are the popsicle stick you used the regular size?
-what did you use for the frame?

Looks good!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bryan, great looking Corsair! The paintjob looks awesome, as does the chipped paint and weathering!

A few questions about the carrier deck:
-are the popsicle stick you used the regular size?
-what did you use for the frame?

Looks good!

The sticks I used are 'Craft Sticks' sold by Michaels. They're 108mm long by 10mm wide and come with rounded ends. I squared up the ends using a wood chisel and hammer.

The frame was an old picture frame I had laying around. To give the sticks something to lay on I also picked up some white foam board at Michaels and cut it to size to fit in the picture frame.

Instead of just running the sticks in a horizontal or vertical direction I decided to run them diagonally for a more appealing look (in my opinion). This complicated things a tad because all ends of the sticks next to the frame had to be cut at an angle. The angle didn't have to be perfect because I came back when all the sticks were laid and dressed up the edge with a small bit of balsa wood so you couldn't see any gaps between the sticks and the frame. I then masked and painted the white stripes and then applied a wash to the deck.

All-in-all, the deck cost about $5. I had the frame so that was nothing. A box of 1000 craft sticks was about $2.50 and a large piece of foam board was about the same. The leftover foam board makes great bases or backdrops for taking photo's of your models.

An added bonus-the craft sticks make great paint stirrers.
 _GOTOTOP