You are viewing the archived version of the site.
Go to aeroscale.net for the current dynamic site!
Go to aeroscale.net for the current dynamic site!
1⁄48NAS FALLON UH-1N RESCUE
The SubjectThe UH-1N has a 15-seat configuration, with one pilot and 14 passengers. In cargo configuration, it has an internal capacity of 220 ft³ (6.23 m³). An external load up to 5,000 lb (2,268 kg) can be carried. The UH-1N was later developed into the civilian Bell 212.
Naval Air Station Fallon or NAS Fallon is the United States Navy's premier air-to-air and air-to-ground training facility. It is located southeast of the city of Fallon in western Nevada. Since 1996, it has been home to the Naval Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) taking over from the former NAS Miramar, California, and the surrounding area contains 240,000 acres (97,000 ha) of bombing and electronic warfare ranges. It is also home to the Naval Aviation Warfighting Development Center (NAWDC), which includes TOPGUN, the Carrier Airborne Early Warning Weapons School (CAEWWS) and the Navy Rotary Wing Weapons School. Navy SEAL Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) training also takes place there.
Since 1972 the base has had its own search and rescue team. Originally named Desert Angels and later renamed Longhorns, the team's mission is to provide SAR support for visiting Carrier Air Groups and other NAS Fallon tenant commands. The Longhorns flew the Bell HH-1N from 1972–2009 and the Sikorsky SH-60F from 2009–2011. The team currently flies the Sikorsky MH-60S. The Longhorns frequently support civilian search, rescue and medical evacuation efforts in conjunction with local law enforcement, medical and search and rescue agencies. ~wikipedia~
IntroductionThe reason for selecting the SAR Twin Huey was two fold. First, it's different than the usual gunship most modelers build and second the colors just leap from the page! Naturally the research began with images of this aircraft from the net and that lead to watching videos of subject. These resources were extremely valuable in the final product.
Please forgive me for not going step by step. It was really hard to follow that format due to poor instructions. It's close but not page by page and number by number. Anything off the beaten path are steps that need to be done regardless of when.
Also, the aftermarket window mask set was purchased because it has an interior set. With all the curves and convex shapes it's something I'd suggest you look into to make your life easier. Mission Models Paint made up the primary exterior color with Tamiya and AK Xtreme Metal for interior and highlights. Very little scratch building was done but certainly you could easily add more detail to the engine compartment, cargo area and cockpit section. A lift hoist is a definite upgrade this model needs and may get added later.
The BuildWhile waiting for a major project to dry I began working on this kit by first cleaning the parts. The amount of burring on each sprue is enough to warrant a closer look at references and view the parts. As suspected many of the lines in the actual rotor assembly have distinct cast lines so be careful what you remove. Kitty Hawk did a nice job on the rotor assembly and the added PE improves it further. It's a tiny bit fiddly with some connecting shafts but not difficult with a decent set of tweezers. The great part is all the detail can easily be seen. You will also have to drill the holes at the blade tips for the tie down lash.
Next is the Tail assembly. This is where I came to appreciate photos of the actual aircraft. Truth be told, some photo-etch does not belong. I kept it as a reminder to make sure to scrutinize each step in the instructions. You'll need to cut some material to make that pole at the very back fit and the detail on the underside will need help being restored after sanding. Sure am happy that this a separate piece in the build to make painting easier. After some mixing found that a 2 parts yellow and 3 parts red gave the look I wanted. However, my choice of Mission Models Paint insignia white is a touch on the cream side and should be whiter. The smaller parts were painted and left off for later assembly. Be aware there is a missing pin at the tail rotor hub but if you drill a hole the rod connecting these parts will be stronger anyway.
The next big task was the interior and cockpit areas. Here the plastic parts fit really well and with all the detail made the oil wash stand out. The instrument clusters and panels have very pronounced switches and gauges which made for many coats of decal setting solution and burnishing. In some places I simply painted the details and used part of the decal. I believe this will work for you as well plus it moves the build along quicker. The pilot's chairs are very delicate and you'll have to eyeball the correct angle with the figures in place. Then we come to those seat belts. If you install them the figures will not fit or sit right. There is no direction as to how they are bent and are missing lap belts if the passenger seats get belts. The Fire extinguisher is a nice detail so I added a spare decal to liven it up. It was at this point I decided to make one side open and the other closed. This way you can spin the model around to have a different look, as you'll see later.
Copyright ©2021 by H.G. Barnes. Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. The views and opinions expressed herein are solely the views and opinions of the authors and/or contributors to this Web site and do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of AeroScale, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. Opinions expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of AeroScale. All rights reserved. Originally published on: 2020-04-23 00:00:00. Unique Reads: 4531