login   |    register

132
P-40F War Hawk

  • move
History
Another solution to the high altitude performance problem was to fit the P-40 with a supercharged Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. This idea came from the British, as they noticed that their Allison powered Kittyhawks. Curtiss tested the P-40D with a 1,300 hp (969 kW) Merlin 28 while production aircraft had the American-made 1,390 hp (1,040 kW) Packard V-1650-1 Merlin. The resulting P-40F (Model 87B) was the first variant to carry the "Warhawk" name.

Along with the added power of the Merlin engine came a decrease in directional stability. Curtiss attempted to fix this by fitting a dorsal fillet to the tail of a single P-40F, however, this was not adopted into production. Starting with the P-40F-5, the tail was lengthened by about 20 in.

Although the P-40F was superior to the Allison powered P-40s, there was a shortage of Merlin engines due to the vast number of aircraft that used them. Parts for these engines were becoming scarce, and maintenance became an issue. As a result, at least 70 P-40Fs were re-engined with V-1710-81s of 1,360 hp. These aircraft became known as P-40R-1s.
The Kit
6 crisply moulded grey styrene frets
3 clear, rubber tyres
2 PE frets
Beautiful decal sheet

For some reason I donít understand the gun site is left incomplete with no upper frame or glass piece.
Construction
Starting with cockpit as per usual, it is fairly well detailed. Accuracy on seat shape is suspect so some may want to go aftermarket. The kit included PE seatbelts are fine, but for some reason as mentioned the gun site is left incomplete.

Kit prop is nice but seam is a pain to get rid of due to location against prop blades, some may wish to cut prop and fit blades later. Inner rad detail is nice, with PE grills and filters. The kit exhaust is also not bad, and can be put in at end after painting, so donít follow kit instructions.

You can have flaps either up or down, with PE frame detail, a really nice touch out of the box.

Canopies are crystal clear, and two mains are provided, so you have room for error.

Rubber tires are rubber, I donít mind them but lots will opt for resin. Be careful with the gear legs, they are a tight fit and fragile, I snapped one ham during construction.

The kit really goes together nicely. Fit and engineering are good, and it was a joy and boosted me out of a slump.
Painting and Markings
I always use lacquer paints, normally MRP but when Tamiya released a new range I had to test them. They are fantastic and every color on this model is the new LP range. I used olive drab 1 and 2 to give tonal variation in this scheme.

The kit decals actually worked a treat, bedding down fine. The kit provides markings for four options, though no information is given as to any of the subjects
  • P-40F, 41-19831, 68 FS/347 FG - which was my choice due to shark mouth
  • P-40F, unknown, 64 FS/57 FG
  • P-40F, unknown, 86 FS/79 FG
  • P-40F, unknown, 66 FS/57 FG
Conclusion
Some people may complain about the overall shape of this kit. I however think they hit a home run. The detail, straight forward build without huge parts count, and engineering made it a joy. I would recommend it without hesitation.
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move

About the Author

About Joe Cooke (VladHVAC)
FROM: ONTARIO, CANADA

Joe Cooke A disgruntled Canadian from Ottawa


Comments

Joe, Beautiful model! You can never, never, never have too many P-40s! Thanks for this. I must admit that I did not know this model existed until seeing it on Squadron's cover. Thanks for building s 13th A.F. Warhawk - my favorite. The detail looks impressive. Curious they did not complete the reflector sight. I need to get one or two - or more - of these!
FEB 13, 2019 - 11:46 AM
awesome build!i got this one in the to do pile, Cheeers! from ottawa as well! Rick
AUG 13, 2019 - 04:34 AM