login   |    register

Scale Modeling Sponsors

See Your Ad Here!

132
Airco DH.2

  • move
Inspired by many great builds of D.H.2s, I too wanted to try my hands at doing a real stringbag. The rigging seemed a bit scary just looking at it, but as I studied the plans and started to break everything down in its components, I came to the conclusion that the rigging was probably not more difficult... just more!

I started this project wanting to show off the internal structure a bit more. The decision was to show one side of the narcelle sans fabric. This meant building a new frame, and deconstructing the kit bits, so I used the hacksaw, taking things apart, before I could start building it up again.

Most of the interior, was either scratchbuilt, or adapted to work with the many modifications I had to do to the narcelle The wicker seat is an AM item from Pheon models, and I also used the etch set from Eduard for further detailing. The covered side of the narcelle, was made using heatduct tape and aluminium foil to simulate a linnen covering.

I painted it up as 6011 of 24 Sqn in the summer of 1916, at about the time of the battle of the Somme.

In the end this build proved very satisfying and fun project, where I got to test some new things with a lot of good advice from the Early Aviation crowd. And the rigging? Well it was not very hard to do... truly just more!

After looking at the finished kit for a few months, I also decided to ad a base and a figure to set it off a bit more. At this point I also had to tension the rigging lines, as they'd gone more than a bit slack. This was done by carefully using a soldering iron, hopefully they will now stay in this shape. Now I felt the model was truly finished.

Link to the Buildlog.
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move

About the Author

About Mikael Terfors (OEFFAG_153)
FROM: VäSTRA GöTALAND, SWEDEN

Learning how to build kits in the 70s, when the weekly allowance went to either an Airfix or Matchbox kit. Me and my brother doing one or two each every week, then blowing them up Graduating to 1:48 Monogram in the 80s, and also turning towards some serious figurepainting. The late 90s was not a ver...


Comments

Ah I remember Mikael's build with great fondness, we all learned and shared as he progressed. It's wonderful to see it in all it's glory complete with base and extras, it really does look great.
AUG 20, 2011 - 05:06 AM
Congrats on an excellent feature Mikael !
AUG 20, 2011 - 10:43 AM
Thank You Keith – I really liked the way this project developed – and the sharing and learning was a great experience Thank You so much Terri Also Thank You to Rowan for posting the feature. Mikael
AUG 22, 2011 - 03:59 AM
Excellent work Mikael.
AUG 22, 2011 - 01:17 PM
Smokin' hot Mikael. This will be the guide for many future DH-2 builds. I've already got it book marked.
AUG 22, 2011 - 01:23 PM
Thank You so very much Stephen and Marc, glad you like it Mikael
AUG 22, 2011 - 02:35 PM
BTW – I almost forgot, if anyones interested  – the figure I used was Model Cellars "Billy Bishop" kit. In this setting he's not Billy though – but an un-named pilot waiting for the next flight over the Somme summer of '16. The kit itself was very nice and easy to put together – and I really enjoyed painting it...
AUG 22, 2011 - 02:45 PM
Tip: Just hit enter to submit your reply!