MONOGRAM 1/48 C-47
Thereís lots of good stuff going on here, and talk about a wide variety of subjects! Paul, Iíve been following your build with lots of interest for obvious reasons. My kit was purchased for a song, but no instructions. At first, I thought my kit was incomplete looking at your work on the radio room. Youíve done a bang-up job on it!
My focus on this build will be seam work, and working on painting stripes. I began by test fitting the parts, and for the most part they were pretty good, so I made an attempt at making some interior green. My first attempts were less than banner, and test fitting showed that not too much will be seen of the inside. In fact, very little. So instead of fighting to get the proper color I went with Tamiyaís cockpit color (Mitsubishi interior green, a light version of US interior green), my first attempt was a lovely RAF interior green, while the color was spot on, it just looked wrong for this aircraft. I then did the instrument panel black, with some thin white for the instruments, it turned out ok, but one wonít see much of it.
The real work began with the windows. The kit molded oneís are clear, but each as an ejector pin mark smack dab in the middle. So, there was a sanding session using mean Mr Sanding stick (250 grit), this ground out the pin marks. This was followed by sanding with finer grits, and then a coat of future (found at Ace hardware! Thanks Swanny for the info!). With the clarity restored, test fitting found that some of the windows would be sitting too far inside the panes. So began the process of separating them from each other to get a flush fit. This was a bit more work than anticipated, but the outcome seems to look nice following test fitting.
In between sanding sessions, I constructed the front office, not putting too much effort into it. I did add some thin white to the radios and did a little dry brushing, though this was mainly for my wifeís cousinís son (no idea what kind of relation that makes him!) who at 12 is keen to learn some more on modelling. For Scott it has been Gundum (sp?) snap kits so far. Iíve given him Monogramís P-47, so he can take a stab at gluing and seams and basic skills. This has been truly rewarding for me, as I never had a modeler take time to show me different techniques when I was his age. Then watching him go at it, a big side benefit to the hobby!
So, at about this time, trial fitting of the fuselage started in earnest. This revealed that my suspicions about two halves was correct. The halves were warped, the right side being about 1 cm bowed with a twist at the cockpit area. The left was just bowed. Thankfully, my sister-law knew where there was the largest stock pot Iíve ever seen was in the house. Following a long hot boiling, dipping and straightening session, I had two halves that would mate up. I sanded both sides flush to enhance fit, and the removal of the locator pins allowed the panel lines to align.
Next up will be the rest of the interior, attachment of the glass and closing up this beastís fuselage! Having a blast with the hobby, hope you are too! Till next time.