Sometimes itís the small things that slow me down, like running out of superglue and then constantly forgetting to buy more. Finally, the thought lodged and I bought the sticky stuff. Armed with the CA I finished the belts. My last job was the spiderís web of erÖ webbing, on the sides of the seat that this shot shows pretty well.
You can see that webbing here too, this time scrunched up in the position it usually takes. I guess these straps are all part of the safety features of the ejection seat. They keep the pilotís body from snagging on cockpit parts as he is ejected.
The Eduard PE set provides parts for the straps but they gave me exactly the same problems as the others had. I went back to my new favourite method of making seat belts - laminated kitchen foil. I decided to give the impression of the webbing rather than copy it faithfully. That route would lead to madness. Even more fiddling and gluing, plus attaching the hose I made earlier got me here (sorry about the glare from the foil).
While I was failing to buy superglue I started the next step - the main wheel bays. They come moulded with a fairly crude impression of pipes and hoses. I want to create a more convincing look so I started removing the moulded on detail to give me a clean surface to work with. I used a combination of modellers chisels, sanding sticks and sanding sponges. The latter with a coarse grit. At this stage I just wanted to remove detail and preserve the contours. I took it slow and easy to avoid unwanted gouges and deep scratches. You can see the progress so far in this slightly fuzzy shot.
There we have it. I have to say that I'm really enjoying this build. Iíve done far more scratch building and work with PE than I have assembly of the kit parts (at least thats how it feels). And because Iím allowing myself the luxury of taking as long as I like to finish the 104, the pressure is off. It's just fun and satisfaction with the occasional moment of frustration to spice things up. So far so good.
Happy modelling guys.