login   |    register
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hosted by Kevin Brant
N1K1-Jb
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Joined: December 14, 2007
KitMaker: 3,266 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:33 PM UTC
This is the Hasegawa kit I was given for review a little while back. The kit went together well with no construction issues. Painting caused all kinds of fits because of a damaged nozzle on my airbrush, and leaks through masking onto the canopy. Base coat was Tamiya alumium from a spray can, followed by a top coat of Tamiya IJN green from the bottle. The chipping was started by removing masking tape, which pulled up the top layer of paint in small areas. I used more tape to add to the effect. A very light wash and oil dots were all that was done for weathering, though I need to add some exhaust and the antenna wire.











JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,416 posts
AeroScale: 3,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
Russ,

She - er, he? (George) - looks great! That chipping is effective and authentic to photos I have seen.

Nice work!
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Joined: December 14, 2007
KitMaker: 3,266 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thanks, Fred! I knew you would catch this right away.
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Joined: February 25, 2007
KitMaker: 1,031 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Beautiful paint chipping, Russ! I use the same technique. Seems like a lot of WW2 Japanese army planes ended up with conspicuously chipped paint, after being in service for awhile.
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Joined: December 14, 2007
KitMaker: 3,266 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks! Using tape made it a lot more random, both in size and location. I have read that the Japanese didn't use primer on the exterior of their aircraft, which caused the paint to flake off.
Aurora-7
#360
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
Joined: June 18, 2003
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Nice job, Russ!

The mid-wing 'George' is my favorite IJN fighter and you great job with the finish.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Joined: December 04, 2010
KitMaker: 9,912 posts
AeroScale: 7,330 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC
Russ,
Very nicely done. Your paint chipping not only looks realistic, but isn't overly done.

Joel
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Joined: December 14, 2007
KitMaker: 3,266 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 08:47 AM UTC
Thank you, Michael and Joel! Glad you like it.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,416 posts
AeroScale: 3,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 05:43 PM UTC
Russ reviewed this model last autumn and you can read about it here: N1K1-Jb Shiden (George) Type 11 Otsu
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,416 posts
AeroScale: 3,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
I noticed a distinct lack of seams, even along the wing-fuselage and stabilizer-fuselage joints. Excellent!